PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA IR Courses (including Converting FAA IR to JAA IR (Merged)
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 15:36
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyingtonka

I can't speak from personal experience but I've heard Leon Smith and Mike Green at Helicopter Services recommended very often. Helicopter Services is at Wycombe Air Park, near Marlow - a very pleasant area less than 30 miles from London. I know both of them are extremely highly regarded and very experienced.

Leon Smith -
CAA & FAA ATPL(H) I/R
Head of Training, instrument examiner, flight examiner, FIC instructor.
Mike Green -
CAA ATPL(H) I/R.
Basic, FIC & type rating instructor with 12,000 hours of instruction.
Flight Examiner, FI Examiner, Type Rating Examiner & Instrument Instructor Examiner.

As I understand it, to convert an FAA IR(H) to a JAR IR(H) you need to do 15 hours training of which 10 hours can be completed in an approved simulator and 5 hours on the aircraft. (HS have an approved sim.)
That assumes you are already type-rated on the aircraft used for training - they use an AS355 (TwinStar).

Course Cost -
The abbreviated course outlined above costs £7,975 + tax.
(I made an enquiry for someone recently.)

Skills Test Cost -
Varies according to the route chosen by your examiner + CAA Examiner's fee.
They are both examiners but, as I understand it, for an initial issue of an IR, you have to be tested by an examiner from the CAA.

Hope this helps.

FL

Edit -
I notice you're planning this for towards the end of next year. Helicopter Services IR courses are already fully booked until March 2007 so you're wise to plan ahead.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 23rd Nov 2006 at 16:37.