To find your answer, consider this:
- The railways have been around in their present form (steam propulsion on metal rails through to diesel and then electric) for about 200 years.
- Trains run on rails that allow them to go in a predetermined direction and space.
- Trains only move horizontally forwards or backwards.
- Train signalling is computerised.
- Japanese Shinkansen trains travel at speeds of 185 mph (operational not the tests at 275) and the French TGV at 200 mph.
- Train driving is simpler than aircraft and could be automated.
- Trains have a human being as the driver.
Now repeat those points for the way that aircraft operate and decide how long it will be before they are fully automated.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different."
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.