PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2001, 22:19
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Grey Area

To: Grey Area

Someone in a previous post alluded to the fact that although the warning light was illuminated he did not have time to look at it as his eyes were outside the helicopter during the maneuver. I was speaking in generalities about the jack stall condition relative to the hydraulics system and the control boost servos I assumed that since a pilot mentioned the light it must be there.

What kind of warning do you get with imminent jack stall? If it is a light or a bell or a voice alarm it doesn't make any difference as I asked what caused the alarm to go off.

To: Widgeon

I did not say that the flight manual should or should not be changed due to things that occur in operation. This happens on both the POH and the maintenance manual. What I was asking, was the entry in the POH for the AS-350 jack stall problem entered at rev A when the helicopter went into service or, did the problem occur at a later date after entry into service with the entry telling the pilots to avoid this flight regime and, there was no attendant design change to prevent this from happening in the future. This is exactly what happened to the R-22 relative to sideslip and out of trim flight. It warns the pilot but no design change was made. I also asked the question, why didn’t this show up during certification testing? That goes for both helicopters.

This leads us back to the basic premise that the pilot is protected by words and not by design. Please everybody; do not attack this last statement as we have already gone through the various arguments.

I would still like to have all of the questions answered.

I should have asked a sixth question and that is why do you as pilots accept this form of protection? One day you might find yourself in an emergency situation where the last thing you need at that time is Jack Stall.

Here is a test you can perform. It works on a Sikorsky helicopter and I assume it will work on the AS-350. Go into a hover and take the cyclic stick and move it in a circle in the same direction as the rotor is spinning. Move the cyclic stick through this circular path four or five times. Do the controls get stiff. It does not happen on the Sikorsky and it may not happen on the AS-350. However if it does, it indicates that the hydraulic system can’t keep up with the demand.

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]