Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs

Old 15th May 2020, 21:46
  #541 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
This is only the beginning :)

"Chair's comments

The Chair of the Committee, Huw Merriman MP, commented:

“It is very disappointing that British Airways seem determined to press ahead with devastating cuts to their workforce despite the Government furlough scheme being extended until the end of October. On the one hand, BA are happy to take taxpayers’ money from the furlough scheme which was designed to help companies avoid redundancies. Yet on the other, BA is ploughing ahead with a cull of their workforce and a lowering of terms and conditions. This is not what people would expect from our national flag carrier. BA’s loyal staff deserve better than to be treated like this.”

On 20 May, the Committee will hold a further session on aviation involving trade unions, the Civil Aviation Authority and the aviation minister, Kelly Tolhurst MP."
ILS27LEFT is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 09:06
  #542 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by ILS27LEFT View Post

"Chair's comments

The Chair of the Committee, Huw Merriman MP, commented:

“It is very disappointing that British Airways seem determined to press ahead with devastating cuts to their workforce despite the Government furlough scheme being extended until the end of October. On the one hand, BA are happy to take taxpayers’ money from the furlough scheme which was designed to help companies avoid redundancies. Yet on the other, BA is ploughing ahead with a cull of their workforce and a lowering of terms and conditions. This is not what people would expect from our national flag carrier. BA’s loyal staff deserve better than to be treated like this.”

On 20 May, the Committee will hold a further session on aviation involving trade unions, the Civil Aviation Authority and the aviation minister, Kelly Tolhurst MP."

If this committee has no power, what is it’s purpose?
777JRM is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 09:07
  #543 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 841
The airline specific forums were set up to allow internal informed debate by those verified to be employees. I was surprised that BA does not have one on PPRuNe, indeed three of the nine that I can see are for defunct airlines like Monarch. My constructive suggestion is that for those of you who don't want the rest of us butting in on what is clearly a very important debate you go about setting one up.

My view from the sidelines is that BA is likely to be a winner in the current situation. That does not mean that employment levels will remain as they are. It seems improbable that there is not going to be a serious reduction in flying over the next couple of years. The ideal from the airline's point of view is to solve its resource planning problem in a fair and agreed manner, keeping maximum flexibility for the upturn when it comes. One solution is to encourage those close to retirement particularly on fleets like the 747 to take early retirement. The pension cap/tax actually helps this because the incentive to carry on is reduced. Encouraging as many others to job share, work part time etc. is another obvious thing to do.
lederhosen is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 10:16
  #544 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
Wait and see

Originally Posted by 777JRM View Post
If this committee has no power, what is it’s purpose?
Expropriation is the power.
Post Covid 19 priority will be given to people (e.g. saving jobs and T&Cs'), the environment and public funds (future profits shared with Gov).

Aviation is not the only sector that will need to be nationalised. In several other countries this is already happening.
It has got nothing to do with socialism. This is pure survival of economies & societies during the biggest crisis in modern times.
ILS27LEFT is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 10:35
  #545 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Freedom Sound
Posts: 287
When has management done anything "obvious"?
esscee is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 14:38
  #546 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 275
Read today some CSDs earn £80k(with allowances, box payments etc) (am sure these are outliers) but is that sustainable in the good tones never mind now. A senior ICU nurse might earn £40k !
TOM100 is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 15:24
  #547 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Country
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by TOM100 View Post
Read today some CSDs earn £80k(with allowances, box payments etc) (am sure these are outliers) but is that sustainable in the good tones never mind now. A senior ICU nurse might earn £40k !
Last week it was 30 years ago that I joined BA and for my entire career with them we had all the same issues with the management trying to reign in all these legacy contracts. I'm pretty surprised that they still have not got this basic issue sorted out.
Jet II is offline  
Old 16th May 2020, 15:26
  #548 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by ILS27LEFT View Post
Expropriation is the power.
Post Covid 19 priority will be given to people (e.g. saving jobs and T&Cs'), the environment and public funds (future profits shared with Gov).

Aviation is not the only sector that will need to be nationalised. In several other countries this is already happening.
It has got nothing to do with socialism. This is pure survival of economies & societies during the biggest crisis in modern times.

Looks like things might be picking up sooner than expected?
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...eekly-flights/

Just demonstrates BA’s land-grab opportunism.

777JRM is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 08:52
  #549 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Home of the Gnomes
Posts: 379
I was surprised that BA does not have one on PPRuNe,
There was for many years. There is a BALPA BA forum elsewhere on the internet which is in regular use.
Tay Cough is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 09:52
  #550 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cyprus
Age: 73
Posts: 269
Walnut

Originally Posted by 777JRM View Post
Looks like things might be picking up sooner than expected?
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...eekly-flights/

Just demonstrates BA’s land-grab opportunism.
This thread has been suggesting Veuling May be in line to be parachuted into Lgw. Is this likely as most of its workforce would be ineligible to work in the the U.K. when Brexit is finalised in December
So there will be no free movement of people and interestingly also Capital. The current split of assets in IAG according to WW. 66% BA, so with the share price at around 165p that means the U.K. government could take a stake at 100p a share.
WW stated one of the reasons he wanted restructuring is to allow him to compete with state funded EU carriers,eg Lufthansa and Air France. So as the U.K. must have a national carrier (even a combined Virgin EasyJet option would not have the reach) it seems a Government stake should be considered
After all already the Government has taken controlling stakes in the rail network the bus network and recently in TFL to ensure these essential transport links remain
i suggest that the H of C Select Committee ask this question of the government minister when she appears before them next Wednesday 20/3/20
Walnut is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 15:28
  #551 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London UK
Posts: 6,553
Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
WW stated one of the reasons he wanted restructuring is to allow him to compete with state funded EU carriers, eg Lufthansa and Air France.
One of the reasons these carriers get support (whether financial, political or whatever) is that they have structured their whole relationship with their governments, and indeed their wider target customer base, to be perceived as a national asset, despite private ownership.

BA have gone the other way, HQ is in Madrid (with a little regional but powerless admin office in Waterside), top execs openly don't give a hoot for the UK government. Now push has suddenly and unexpectedly come to shove and the playing field has changed. But the attitude hasn't.
WHBM is offline  
Old 19th May 2020, 14:07
  #552 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1
https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-a9520131.html

First major press support. Get on the comments section everyone. Shame it's not in more, and print.
Bridchen is offline  
Old 19th May 2020, 23:26
  #553 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 497
Unable to read, pay wall.
Banana Joe is offline  
Old 20th May 2020, 19:43
  #554 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
BA latest

Originally Posted by Banana Joe View Post
Unable to read, pay wall.
You can register and read it for free.
Otherwise read all my previous messages under this topic. More or less the same concept.

I genuinely believe this is not Willie Walsh vs BA pilots, actually I should say the entire BA workforce. This is much much bigger, it is about the future of working conditions in the UK.
Do we want to end up like the USA or like Germany/Switzerland/Denmark/Sweden?
This is the question we need to ask ourselves.

Our kids deserve better than this toxic management style. Greed alone is leading us to an awful type of over-polarised society.
ILS27LEFT is offline  
Old 20th May 2020, 21:01
  #555 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,931
“Major press support”? Sure it’s very critical of BA but main point is that airlines should be taxed more heavily (Indy counts lack of VAT on fuel as a subsidy) and that airlines should be taken into state ownership. Hmmm. Can anyone name a state-run airline that’s NOT a cash-haemorrhaging basket-case, even in good times, which these definitely aren’t?
ShotOne is offline  
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:28
  #556 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: uk
Posts: 87
Is there a case in these unprecedented times,crews out of practice,distractions etc for all Long Haul two person crew to be mandated to three person crew for a period of time.
Whatever happened to PIA yesterday,a contributing factor will have been Covid.
BALPA need to raise this as an issue for all UK Long Haul carriers.
If any carrier were to have an ‘Incident’ it could be terminal for them.
Stay Safe,Keep Alert.
Phantom4 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:28
  #557 (permalink)  

Controversial, moi?
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,590
Is there a case in these unprecedented times,crews out of practice,distractions etc for all Long Haul two person crew to be mandated to three person crew for a period of time.
Why would airlines increase their costs when they are currently faced with an unprecedented loss of income?

Whatever happened to PIA yesterday,a contributing factor will have been Covid.
What is that assumption based on?

BALPA need to raise this as an issue for all UK Long Haul carriers.
I am sure that will help.

If any carrier were to have an ‘Incident’ it could be terminal for them.
The current situation will be terminal for many of them without needing an 'incident' (sic).
M.Mouse is offline  
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:30
  #558 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Samsonite Avenue
Posts: 1,519
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
Can anyone name a state-run airline that’s NOT a cash-haemorrhaging basket-case, even in good times, which these definitely aren’t?
EK springs to mind.
Mister Geezer is offline  
Old 24th May 2020, 14:44
  #559 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by M.Mouse View Post
Why would airlines increase their costs when they are currently faced with an unprecedented loss of income?.
AF is currently augmenting all long haul flight deck crews by one additional crew member, for safety reasons.
fab777 is offline  
Old 24th May 2020, 19:22
  #560 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 275
When has AF (or EK) ever been run as a proper commercial business ?

Last edited by TOM100; 24th May 2020 at 20:20.
TOM100 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.