Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Jet2 Hold Pool

Old 7th Aug 2022, 19:11
  #221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 118
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thatís assuming there are enough. Doesnít sound to me like there is enough currently. Spread those applications across the three U.K. airlines currently hiring and I suspect there may be a lack of pilots who currently hold a full U.K. ATPL.

Some good rumours coming out of Jet2 is that over half the applications they received currently donít meet their requirements.
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 04:54
  #222 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToCatLady
Thatís assuming there are enough. Doesnít sound to me like there is enough currently. Spread those applications across the three U.K. airlines currently hiring and I suspect there may be a lack of pilots who currently hold a full U.K. ATPL.

Some good rumours coming out of Jet2 is that over half the applications they received currently donít meet their requirements.
And one of those requirements is to have in your possession a UK license. Less than 30% of those who applied currently have one but that is still 1500 people ahead in the que who do
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 07:06
  #223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 118
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1,500 is still not a lot. Jet2 want circa 200, Virgin have announced they need over 250, BA sounds like itís going to be at least a few hundred. (200 to start, 200 for a hold pool) DHL have and continue to take on quite a few Pilots too.

Spread over the next 12-24 months.

that is before EZY, FR and the rest of the U.K. market opens up. (we arenít sure about TUI right now) and the start of the ME3 coming to your nearest airport selling the expat dream.

itís going to get a little tight around the waist I suspect. Jet2 were pretty much the first ones to come knocking but since then things have progressed very slowly whilst the likes of Virgin have already started phases 2 & 3.

I think we have to be quite real and admit that since those 1,500 applications went in to jet2, they have slipped down the list of priority for many individuals who may now have noticed BA, Virgin, Emirates ect walk in to the bar.

not all, but many.
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 09:54
  #224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Airport Hotel
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToCatLady
1,500 is still not a lot. Jet2 want circa 200, Virgin have announced they need over 250, BA sounds like itís going to be at least a few hundred. (200 to start, 200 for a hold pool) DHL have and continue to take on quite a few Pilots too.

Spread over the next 12-24 months.

that is before EZY, FR and the rest of the U.K. market opens up. (we arenít sure about TUI right now) and the start of the ME3 coming to your nearest airport selling the expat dream.

itís going to get a little tight around the waist I suspect. Jet2 were pretty much the first ones to come knocking but since then things have progressed very slowly whilst the likes of Virgin have already started phases 2 & 3.

I think we have to be quite real and admit that since those 1,500 applications went in to jet2, they have slipped down the list of priority for many individuals who may now have noticed BA, Virgin, Emirates ect walk in to the bar.

not all, but many.
Far as Iím aware, J2, BA (mainline & low cost Gatwick aka Euroflyer), Virgin, DHL U.K., Ryanair, Wizzair, West Atlantic U.K. are currently actively recruiting for U.K. bases. Plenty of choice.

However with the current and projected cost of living and a very real possibility of a recession on the cards, itís worth a think about where youíd really like to go, and which is likely to be the safest berth in a storm.

Having said that, none of us has a crystal ball, and I donít have the accounts for any of those companies in my hands!


Alrosa is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 09:57
  #225 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 941
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.dpdhl.com/content/dam/dp...on-Q2-2022.pdf

deltahotel is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 10:03
  #226 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Jet2 have woken up to the (probable) looming shortage of experienced U.K. CAA Licenced Pilots, who also have the right to live and work in the U.K. Those two factors will have a big impact on the amount of viable applications going forward.

Out of interest, and slightly off topic, how are easyJet dealing with the post Brexit situation? How are they rostering between U.K. licensed and EASA licensed crew, and between the G and OE registered aircraft?
737 Jockey is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 10:34
  #227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: AUS
Posts: 118
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very evident DHL will be a very secure employer for the next few years. Air Cargo has done well, and will continue to do well even during a looming global recession.

Am I correct in saying DHL never laid off a Pilot in 2008 or during the pandemic (of course!)
ToCatLady is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 10:40
  #228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 941
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct. No redundancies, furlough, pay reductions. Seemed very strange to keep working normally all the way through COVID in very quiet skies. Well, as normal as not being sure where the next meal could be sourced, multiple tests, knowledge of many national requirements allow for. Also while being well aware of how the rest of our industry was being torn to shreds.
deltahotel is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 20:03
  #229 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deltahotel
Correct. No redundancies, furlough, pay reductions. Seemed very strange to keep working normally all the way through COVID in very quiet skies. Well, as normal as not being sure where the next meal could be sourced, multiple tests, knowledge of many national requirements allow for. Also while being well aware of how the rest of our industry was being torn to shreds.
If you don't mind me asking what does a Captain get paid at DHL based in the UK ? I've always liked the idea of a stint cargo at some point but considering the potentially amount of night flying it would have to be a big payrise to tempt, and no I'm not some sky god who assumes they would even want me or would be good enough to pass an assessment these days just curious!

J2 won't be taking in 200, maybe 150, most they ever trained pre Covid was approx 120 and that nearly killed the line trainers and they haven't significantly increased the size of the training department since. Not to mention the amount of Airbus courses they need to get through this winter internally.

Interesting to hear people talk about recessions etc and say Virgin or BA or Emirates would be higher on people's wish list now than an offer from J2... Really? Would anyone prefer to be bottom of the seniority lists on any of those three because I certainly wouldn't even if I believe that they are all great jobs for experienced pilots, or they certainly used to be.
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 20:08
  #230 (permalink)  
Alba Gu Brath
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Merseyside
Age: 54
Posts: 722
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
most they ever trained pre Covid was approx 120
120? Assume thatís a typo as the Winter 18-19 number was significantly higher than that!
Big Tudor is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 20:09
  #231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Home
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately DHL donít take NTR DEC, so youíd be back on FO wage of about £65k.
GA F15 is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 20:59
  #232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Tudor
120? Assume thatís a typo as the Winter 18-19 number was significantly higher than that!
I was counting full TR courses so yes the number would be much higher for those already rated but from memory (and I'll admit it gets fuzzier as I age) that was the number back in 18-19 not counting those already TR
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 21:20
  #233 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 303
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GA F15
Unfortunately DHL donít take NTR DEC, so youíd be back on FO wage of about £65k.

A couple of Skippers left recently for RHS DHL
UK, with an anticipated upgrade as soon as six months. Could be a potentially good move if you want to be EMA based.
737 Jockey is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 05:55
  #234 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 941
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been/will be a small number of quick upgrades but I wouldn’t plan on it - plenty of existing talent too. Anyone joining now will be at the bottom of a rapidly growing DoJ list. Pay broadly similar to J2 I’d guess but not knowing all the details quite hard to compare. More FDP probably because trips are longer and fewer.

DHK is now a medium/long haul airline and the days of multiple short night sectors round Europe have gone. 767 is West to USA, East to BAH, BKK, HKG
deltahotel is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 06:43
  #235 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: big green wheely bin
Posts: 812
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone getting on the 777?
Jonty is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 07:08
  #236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 941
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TR joiners only, but shortly to start moving existing pilots across.
deltahotel is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 09:02
  #237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few people over here seem lost and need directions to a DHL thread.
RogueOne is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 12:27
  #238 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WWW
Posts: 138
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueOne
A few people over here seem lost and need directions to a DHL thread.
This forum is pretty quiet. I personally welcome any discussion. Check out some of the American forums and you will see pilots discussing and comparing different contracts, the exact opposite of here. In the UK finding terms and conditions of operators is pretty hard.
roll_over is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2022, 15:52
  #239 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roll_over
This forum is pretty quiet. I personally welcome any discussion. Check out some of the American forums and you will see pilots discussing and comparing different contracts, the exact opposite of here. In the UK finding terms and conditions of operators is pretty hard.
I welcome discussion, in it's proper place so it doesn't spam specific threads.

So we should embrace the anarchy of other forums and just discuss everything, everywhere? Let's just have 1 big group messageboard whilst we're at it.

It's very easy to find terms and conditions if you know where to look, use a search function, or just ask someone.

Check out some of the American forums
No thanks.
RogueOne is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:14
  #240 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Not in UK
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any NTR DEC hear anything yet?

still nothing here.
santacruz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.