Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Advice from Easyjet pilots.

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Advice from Easyjet pilots.

Reply

Old 12th Sep 2018, 13:39
  #21 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Age: 35
Posts: 18
Tks a350pilots.
emanuelc1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2018, 17:10
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 20
I’m also in a similar position to OP. I have been considering Easy with interest. Im LH for BA. Been here a couple of years and have decided I am leaving. I’m reading this with interest. Thanks for folk putting their input in.
Jack the rabbit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2018, 17:16
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 652
Iíve just had the quietest summer since Iíve been here. 2 blocks of leave in August and just under 70 hours for September when I was expected to be hammered. I havenít done more than 90 hours since last summer. My highest hours a month this year has been 83. I bid for 2 sector days and so far every month Iíve got 85% of that. My roster stability is the highest it has ever been at 87% and I feel less tired than anytime I can remember. Regional U.K. base and FT.

My roster is probably rare compared to what the majority maybe experiencing.

I do think we are probably the best Short Haul airline to work for, not perfect but very competitive. I see my family everyday for plenty of hours.
Stone Cold II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2018, 20:43
  #24 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Age: 35
Posts: 18
Tks guys and gals for your views. I can easily see this thread turning into LH vs SH
emanuelc1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2018, 21:10
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by emanuelc1 View Post
Tks guys and gals for your views. I can easily see this thread turning into LH vs SH
Ha, you’re quite right, I thought that

If helps steer off the trend to head in that direction, my own reasons for moving from my current firm aren’t long haul itself (I previously flew LH) but other reasons really to do with the company I work for. So I’m all ears for what life is like at Easy, general feeling being there, life balance, morale, company culture towards the workforce, training culture. All the usual stuff
Jack the rabbit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 03:43
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chateau d'If
Posts: 1,562
Jack the rabbit - I am a TRE at easyJet in my 15th year there. I am aware that a number of BA guys/gals are contemplating a move here, which means we must be doing something right. Forgive me if I write here what I wrote elsewhere. BA is a great company and we are going to lose a lot of FOs to them in the next few months. We can never offer multiple aircraft types, seniority-based rosters and a choice between long and short haul. When push comes to shove, however, there is one massive difference between us and BA. That is that you get home most nights. You can also throw-in preferential rostering, fixed patterns etc, but the key distinctive is getting home, and that is why I am here. Virtually every other difference between the two companies would boil down to personal preference and taste but the life of hotels or life of home is where it is at. It is a massively big call for any BA pilot with a few years of seniority to come here - those are years you will never get back. Therefore, my strong advice is to think very long and very hard about such a massive decision. I love it here, but that is just me. When all is said and done the only issue is whether you want to be home every night or not. Just my own view, of course.
Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 08:55
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Room 506
Posts: 55
Can anyone foresee easyJet changing their pay upfront for the TR policy for FO's. Also at BA LH looking at other options. But the £20k TR cost is a bit of a show stopper for me. Fingers crossed enough EZY FO's leave for BA that they get desperate enough to help out with the TR cost. I would be happy to sign into an agreement the same as for skippers.
Heres hoping...
Tricia Takanawa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 09:34
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Posts: 7
Very interesting

Iím also at BA (787 FO) I have been interested in Virgin because my prime concern with BA is that I just canít get on with the company and itís just being killed by the guys at the top!! (even after 5-6 years) . But after reading the posts on this forum maybe I should start considering Easyjet also , tbh I have never really thought about it probably from my own ignorance or the Nigel is shinning through
Riskybis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 13:49
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto View Post
Jack the rabbit - I am a TRE at easyJet in my 15th year there. I am aware that a number of BA guys/gals are contemplating a move here, which means we must be doing something right. Forgive me if I write here what I wrote elsewhere. BA is a great company and we are going to lose a lot of FOs to them in the next few months. We can never offer multiple aircraft types, seniority-based rosters and a choice between long and short haul. When push comes to shove, however, there is one massive difference between us and BA. That is that you get home most nights. You can also throw-in preferential rostering, fixed patterns etc, but the key distinctive is getting home, and that is why I am here. Virtually every other difference between the two companies would boil down to personal preference and taste but the life of hotels or life of home is where it is at. It is a massively big call for any BA pilot with a few years of seniority to come here - those are years you will never get back. Therefore, my strong advice is to think very long and very hard about such a massive decision. I love it here, but that is just me. When all is said and done the only issue is whether you want to be home every night or not. Just my own view, of course.

Thanks Counte for taking the time to give some insight. The decision to leave is made in isolation. Iíve worked a few places elsewhere in flying so know the world can be different outside of BA, but, Iíve got to a point where, if there were no alternatives, long term, Iíll consider working outside of flying to patch up the bills rather than continue on the current trajectory. Iíve ebbed in and out of being ďok with itĒ and sometimes ďthis is not too badĒ (which lasts for a bit) to feeling downright miserable for the last couple of years. Itís affecting my life outside of work. That canít continue so Iíve got to take action. I never felt so strongly that I donít belong in a place as the last few years.
Jack the rabbit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 15:25
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by Jack the rabbit View Post
I never felt so strongly that I donít belong in a place as the last few years.
My problem is that I sort of feel that about the world!
Stan Woolley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 17:07
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Up front
Posts: 8
Stan, if your serious please talk through your thoughts with people you trust or professional. All the best.
LHS320
LHS320 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 17:42
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by LHS320 View Post
Stan, if your serious please talk through your thoughts with people you trust or professional. All the best.
LHS320
Sorry, it was meant as a joke, although itís kind of true too. A genuine Thank you.
Stan Woolley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2018, 22:18
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 632
OP, before jumping ship, is there any way you can make your life more tolerable at your current airline. Part time - Part year - Flexible working patterns if you have young kids (the airline has to consider them if asked). The reason I say this is after having done 6 4 2 and now 1 sector days, for me (maybe not for you) Part time and 1 sector days is a sweet spot. I did SH only while my kids were young and was home for plenty of time, but much of that time was in a state of tiredness and going to bed early to get up for the next 5am report. The best thing about Easy is the fixed roster pattern, I work with a random roster which is as much a pain now as it always was. All the best.
macdo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2018, 02:10
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: in the sky
Posts: 20
I am joining Easyjet after 10 years on wide body aircrafts (last 3 as Captain). I am personally looking forward to shorter flights (I have enough of those 12 hours+ flights), no jet lag and a very few layovers (LGW).

I have the feeling that Easyjet can be a really good company to work for. Everyone, from the receptionist to the cabin crew, was smiling when I did my interview . A very good sign!
QR777X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:45
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 536
I joined easy as DEC 2.5 years ago. Although Iíve never done LH, I have worked for several airlines over the last 20 years and am really enjoying life working for easy. Yes some of the days are long with some pretty early starts, but Iím still flying less hours than I was at one of my previous airlines.. Itís a friendly place to work and I feel respected in my position to get on with the day without some of the micro managing Iíve experienced In the past. The new bidding system has seen me having no rostered nightstops for months now apart from possibly the odd call out from standby (but then you only stay a max of one night away]
FlyboyUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2018, 17:03
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by QR777X View Post
I am joining Easyjet after 10 years on wide body aircrafts (last 3 as Captain). I am personally looking forward to shorter flights (I have enough of those 12 hours+ flights), no jet lag and a very few layovers (LGW).

I have the feeling that Easyjet can be a really good company to work for. Everyone, from the receptionist to the cabin crew, was smiling when I did my interview . A very good sign!

youíve never been on the staff bus to car park X then. Not much joviality there , amongst them !
Meester proach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2018, 07:07
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: in the sky
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Meester proach View Post



youíve never been on the staff bus to car park X then. Not much joviality there , amongst them !
Of course I am grown up man and I stopped believing in fairy tales long time ago. I am not expecting perfection but I realized that pilots will always have something to complain about. I think it is all about managing expectations.
QR777X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2018, 08:04
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 61
Horses for courses,
my mate works for them at a regional base and detests it. I don’t do SH and haven’t for years. It’s all about finding that elusive package that fits what you want out of life
Meester proach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:23
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 536
There haven’t been any easy crews on the X bus for the best part of two years now. We’re close enough to walk these days. There was never much joviality on the X bus from anyone, whoever they worked for, however there’s plenty in the crew room.
FlyboyUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2018, 11:14
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HonkyDong
Posts: 250
Do you have to pay for parking at LTN/LGW? If so how much?
BizJetJockey is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service