Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

ENG Failure Strategy

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

ENG Failure Strategy

Old 16th Jul 2019, 17:20
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Having a margarita on the beach
Age: 100
Posts: 1,272
Pretty much agree with the above, just to add that we are all used to the concept of "obstacle" as being a nicely drawn set of mountains on the different manuals / presentations, but obstacles can also be other traffic or weather. Basically You use the obstacle strategy anytime you wish to have a descent rate as low as possible.
sonicbum is offline  
Old 16th Jul 2019, 18:04
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wanderlust
Posts: 2,232
vilas: just to verify I read you correctly ENG 1: FAIL shows straight away but the blue action lines only appear after the 30 sec?
yes! Moment Engine mode Selector ignition appears FADEC has switched on Both igniters and for 30sec is trying relight. The full ECAM doesn't appear during this time. If it doesn't succeed igniters are switched off. ECAM appears after that. Now any relight has to be done by using engine relight in flight procedure.

Last edited by vilas; 16th Jul 2019 at 19:05.
vilas is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2019, 21:56
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chile
Posts: 3
ENG Failure Strategy

Hi guys, Ive read mostly all opinions about Eng Fail Strat and I agree with most of the opinions posted here.... specially in that there is NO RUSH, unless there is a fire.
By the way, what do you think about the priority in order to start a relight?
What do you think about that engine been flame out at FL380 with an extreme low outside temperature? I mean, what are your experience or opinions regarding to start an engine relight during the descent versus to start it once you get to your engine out altitude? I am thinking this from the point of view of the engine getting seized up due to abrup changes in temp at high altitude and not been able to rotate later on.

Thanks.
abakxm is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2019, 06:33
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wanderlust
Posts: 2,232
Originally Posted by abakxm View Post
Hi guys, Ive read mostly all opinions about Eng Fail Strat and I agree with most of the opinions posted here.... specially in that there is NO RUSH, unless there is a fire.
By the way, what do you think about the priority in order to start a relight?
What do you think about that engine been flame out at FL380 with an extreme low outside temperature? I mean, what are your experience or opinions regarding to start an engine relight during the descent versus to start it once you get to your engine out altitude? I am thinking this from the point of view of the engine getting seized up due to abrup changes in temp at high altitude and not been able to rotate later on.Thanks.
Relight is not mandatory it may even be not recommended to preserve FADEC data. However should one decide to relight it can be done in the envelope no need to wait till reaching the ceiling. If restart was to seize the engine Manufactures would have definitely said so. Restart attempt rather would prevent seizure.

Last edited by vilas; 12th Aug 2019 at 06:21.
vilas is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2019, 02:14
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 8
Relight

Relight procedures are mostly there for certification and ass covering.

Anyone know of ANY FADEC controlled engine which has been successfully relit? (British Airways 747 Volcanic Ash flameout over Indonesia in the 80s was equipped with non-FADEC engines). If the FADEC can't keep the engine running in the aircraft's normal operating envelope, it's probably dead.

Last edited by Jason74; 12th Aug 2019 at 07:31. Reason: grammar
Jason74 is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2019, 19:24
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Age: 51
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by Jason74 View Post
Relight procedures are mostly there for certification and ass covering.

Anyone know of ANY FADEC controlled engine which has been successfully relit? (British Airways 747 Volcanic Ash flameout over Indonesia in the 80s was equipped with non-FADEC engines). If the FADEC can't keep the engine running in the aircraft's normal operating envelope, it's probably dead.
I do. Williams FJ44-3A on a CJ3 (C525B).
​​Flamed out at TOD, restarted as soon as we got in the envelope.
hans brinker is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2019, 10:59
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by hans brinker View Post
I do. Williams FJ44-3A on a CJ3 (C525B).
​​Flamed out at TOD, restarted as soon as we got in the envelope.
Oh...interesting...what was the reason for the flameout?
Jason74 is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2019, 15:07
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Age: 51
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by Jason74 View Post
Oh...interesting...what was the reason for the flameout?
We had been at cruise at F450 for a few hours, ATC needed us down fast, so high VS in combination with flight idle. Didn't feel anything, only realized when we got "low oil pressure warning". We secured engine continued descend, and had a succesfull restart once down to F230. Diverted to MX base, but nothing was found wrong with the engine....

hans brinker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.