Spectators Balcony (Spotters Corner) If you're not a professional pilot but want to discuss issues about the job, this is the best place to loiter. You won't be moved on by 'security' and there'll be plenty of experts to answer any questions.

Jubilee Flypast

Old 25th May 2022, 18:45
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jubilee Flypast

As a long time lurker i wonder if anyone could help out with a viewing point weather permitting in area D on the NATS chart as i would like to take my grandson to see it and perhaps get some pictures,I was thinking somewhere around Mountnessing on the A12 road as this is almost near the centre of the restricted zone.
I don't know if this could change on the day and any advice would be welcome, Thanks in anticipation.
tottenham.
tottenham is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 15:52
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 908
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Dear tottenham - perhaps this linked thread might provide some answers. Welcome to PPRuNe!
Queen's Flypast
- Ed
cavuman1 is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 17:59
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jubilee Flypast

Thanks cavuman but i have already looked, I just drew an extended line from Buckingham Palace and it ends up a couple of miles from that location so will as it is only a 30 minute drive will take a chance, I will be happy to just hear the BBMF.
tottenham is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 19:19
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,241
Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cavuman1
Dear tottenham - perhaps this linked thread might provide some answers.
That thread discussed vantage points for the rehearsal, which didn't go anywhere near Essex or London, so probably not.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 27th May 2022, 08:14
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bomber County
Age: 73
Posts: 234
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this:

The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Flypast 2022 - Military Airshows News & Press Releases. (military-airshows.co.uk)

Radar101
radar101 is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 08:53
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar,
Yes i used that one along with the NATS one.
tottenham is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 09:49
  #7 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 481
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Before anyone asks yes I've seen the maps but they don't really answer this specific question.
Will the flypast route down the Thames. Would Tower Bridge be a good vantage point?

Secondary question,

Does the flypast go anywhere near Stanmore?

My rationale for visiting London is either the museum at Stanmore or The Cabinet War Rooms :-)
uxb99 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 10:49
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,241
Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by uxb99
Before anyone asks yes I've seen the maps but they don't really answer this specific question.
Will the flypast route down the Thames. Would Tower Bridge be a good vantage point?

Secondary question,

Does the flypast go anywhere near Stanmore?

My rationale for visiting London is either the museum at Stanmore or The Cabinet War Rooms :-)
For obvious reasons, the last few miles of the run-in won't involve any course changes, so project a line from The Mall pointing roughly 057T (ENE-ish)

Tower Bridge will be well over a mile SE of that line, so not ideal. St James Park or Horse Guards would be good.

Last edited by DaveReidUK; 1st Jun 2022 at 15:44. Reason: parks mixed up!
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 14:21
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Just behind the back of beyond....
Posts: 4,175
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems such a shame that someone can't put a line on a map showing what is going where and roughly when - as they've done admirably for the Reds routing.

I wonder how soon after Buck House the formation will start to disperse, and where the different elements will head.
Jackonicko is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 15:14
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wildest Surrey
Age: 74
Posts: 10,497
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
It seems such a shame that someone can't put a line on a map showing what is going where and roughly when - as they've done admirably for the Reds routing.

I wonder how soon after Buck House the formation will start to disperse, and where the different elements will head.
They'll break up quickly, some going towards Brize and others going south then east.
chevvron is online now  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 16:37
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,742
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to be late to the game, but approximately when will the flypast be transiting central London ? Midday ?
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 17:20
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,241
Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
Due over Buck House at 1 pm.

Platinum Jubilee bank holiday: Where can I watch the RAF flypast? | ITV News
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 1st Jun 2022, 19:45
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,742
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Much obliged DRUK.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 10:45
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oxfordshire
Age: 69
Posts: 308
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procession/crowd/herd/flotilla whatever.you call it... . of helicopters just passed over heading Benson-wards.
goldox is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 13:02
  #15 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that was worth the short trip, Once the Reds published the route only one place to go and that was the bunker at Kelvedon Hatch along with a few others we had a picnic and the whole group passed directly overhead so one happy Grandson and one happy Grandfather.
tottenham is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 14:46
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,742
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched it from a bridge across the Thames and it was pretty impressive all said, the BBMF seemed to stir the crowds fervour and the fighter jets looked very impressively menacing, especially the 4 F35's escorting BozForce1. As always being pressed into large groups took the shine off the experience for me, but I don't imagine there were many vantage points in central London without too many onlookers oohing and aaahing. Perhaps there was some enthusiast on a rooftop or high-up apartment who filmed it all as the flypast flew past and will be kind enough to post it on YT or similar. Did anyone else have a good view ?
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 14:57
  #17 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 59
Posts: 11,776
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Watched from Putney Bridge, elements started fanning out, we got the big stuff more or less right over the top, helis to the east and fighters more to the west.
treadigraph is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 15:01
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wildest Surrey
Age: 74
Posts: 10,497
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
I watched it from a bridge across the Thames and it was pretty impressive all said, the BBMF seemed to stir the crowds fervour and the fighter jets looked very impressively menacing, especially the 4 F35's escorting BozForce1. As always being pressed into large groups took the shine off the experience for me, but I don't imagine there were many vantage points in central London without too many onlookers oohing and aaahing. Perhaps there was some enthusiast on a rooftop or high-up apartment who filmed it all as the flypast flew past and will be kind enough to post it on YT or similar. Did anyone else have a good view ?
BBC coverage was cr@p as usual.
Welsh twit of a commentator didn't know what some of the aircraft were (said the C17/A400 were a Poseidon and Rivet Joint) and the shots from the ground were very badly filmed although the one or two from the air were OK.
chevvron is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.