Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

Eva Air present working conditions

South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Eva Air present working conditions

Reply

Old 13th Mar 2018, 09:29
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 889
Well you have much better options in Asia then Eva Air or China Airlines, the Air Japan 767 contract for example.

Any airline which advertises as much as Eva Air and China Airlines for ALL fleets and even NTR is not a good thing, they can not attract many people to go there.
BAe 146-100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2018, 21:24
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: earth
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Bladecreep View Post
Holy hell what a nightmare
You're catching on. Asian culture pertaining to employment is you are there to work and you will submit to your employer, because after all, he did give you a job.
Black Crow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2018, 01:16
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere near an Airport
Age: 37
Posts: 306
Blade creep,

Almost everyone gave the right advise. Based on my experience, I would say, stay away from this region. Get to left seat, log 1000 hrs + and look for better opportunities within US, Say Fedex/DHL/UPS/Delta/United etc. What matters is a career in the long run with lot of opportunities which you are not restricted to.

If you can’t get into any of these airlines, then you can think of Emirates or Qatar. The money is good there with a chance to upgrade, schooling and medical paid for, great route network and shining new wide body jets etc. But you’ll have to give yourself at least 10 years in this region. Are you willing to do that leaving your extended family and friends back in US? It’s the decision you should sit and make along with your partner.


I’m sure the working conditions are really hard in Regionals with no time for yourself or family. You’ll feel relieved on this part when you join as a wide body FO in M.E. But there are some downsides like strict company policies, punitive culture, no union, degradation of t&cs etc.
Flyboy_SG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2018, 18:54
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 1
I'm a crj CA in the US thinking about going to the left seat for Peach, Skymark, or Ibex. Not for the money, not for the experience, and not for the type rating. Really I just want to spend a couple years not living in the US for once, and flying around other side of the world, learning a 3rd language, etc. If I go to a major now I'll never be able to check that off my bucket list.

Surely those companies aren't that bad? I've read that Japan is far better than the other asian countries. I have a friend at ANA and he loves it.. want to stay there his whole career.
Brambleshire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2018, 19:40
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL250
Age: 37
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by Brambleshire View Post
I'm a crj CA in the US thinking about going to the left seat for Peach, Skymark, or Ibex. Not for the money, not for the experience, and not for the type rating. Really I just want to spend a couple years not living in the US for once, and flying around other side of the world, learning a 3rd language, etc. If I go to a major now I'll never be able to check that off my bucket list.

Surely those companies aren't that bad? I've read that Japan is far better than the other asian countries. I have a friend at ANA and he loves it.. want to stay there his whole career.
That is a good idea. Always good to do what you want to do in life. If you want to get away from US. They are bunch of option. You might be quite busy and frustrated with the flying and company culture.


I would suggest go to Japan. Taiwan is a good place, but you can hate it or love it. But I reckon you have been here before. If you want insight on EVA feel free to PM me and I'll give you the low down.
jackcarls0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2018, 20:57
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Shahjahanpur
Posts: 87
If you want fine living conditions, decent pay, polite people and build hours quickly then India is one of the best place, it is one of the fastest growing countries for aviation. Qatar and Emirates also treat outsiders like Second Class now, infact living conditions are very bad out there with no labour laws.
There is a company which operates CRJ as well.
hitansh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 06:47
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
Hello,

any infos/updates regarding the NTR FO recruitment? (Planned Gs, interviews, assesments..)

thank you
McRj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2018, 14:56
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Seoul
Posts: 1
Could you give me the details?
heartsignal26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2018, 13:56
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Riga
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
Working in Asia is not anything like working for a western carrier.

First of all, you are an Ex-Pat, so you will be treated as a second class citizen. Be prepared to be discriminated against, and in Asian culture they don't even attempt to hide the discrimination.

Training is typical asian mentality, which is punitive. Their philosophy is that if you are punished, you will learn. Training is a very negative experience. Be prepared to be belittled, yelled at and constantly threatened.

Check rides and any sim session, as well as line flights in which a management, check pilot or Instructor is on board is a pass/fail check flight which can end your job immediately.

Management including the Chief Pilot, Check Pilots and Instructors are to be treated as Gods walking the earth, and they will expect it. Get on the bad side of any of these types and expect your QOL to deteriorate quickly.

You don't bid schedules, you have a roster, which is to say your flying is assigned. Be prepared for schedules which are brutal by western standards.

Visiting Asia on vacation and actually living and working there are two different things.

My advise is to get a good job with a US major and enjoy your travel privileges and go there often, as a tourist.
I'm a Licensed Engineer who worked in both Malaysia and Hong Kong. I agree with most of what you said. It's a strange paradox where they idolise 'white' westerners, but also have an inferiority complex or jealously towards us, hence the animosity. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in Asia, I'm thinking Singapore is probably the most western friendly place in that part of the world. We all have different experiences, for example being Irish, I find Brits friendly outside the UK. However in the UK they are generally cold and miserable, but thats the way society is structured in England, to have everyone constantly in conflict.
Wandering Paddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2018, 07:22
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL250
Age: 37
Posts: 153
EVA is a good place for training for your next job. For a career look elsewhere.

If anyone looking for a word of advise or needs some info feel free to shoot a PM.
jackcarls0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2018, 13:08
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bora Bora
Posts: 2
What's the average time to command there? I hear upgrades are possible on A321 for some who stay long enough and see their first contract through.
JackAubrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2018, 03:47
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1
My friends' son flies with EVA and he is quite happy there. Started in 2017 after they recruited the first B777 NTR FO's (was not type rated at the time).
He went via an agency (as in most Asian countries due to regulations) and was well prepared by them for screenings, SIM, medical etc.
The transition for FAA pilots is easier as Taiwan follows FAA regulations more than other Asian countries.
Then again, you must be open to experience another culture, which at least for myself, enriched my life. Nowadays it seems that not as many pilots are open to this.
I started in Europe and was based in Japan and Australia before moving to another airline in HKG (now retired)
freddy747 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2018, 15:12
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Brambleshire View Post
I'm a crj CA in the US thinking about going to the left seat for Peach, Skymark, or Ibex. Not for the money, not for the experience, and not for the type rating. Really I just want to spend a couple years not living in the US for once, and flying around other side of the world, learning a 3rd language, etc. If I go to a major now I'll never be able to check that off my bucket list.

Surely those companies aren't that bad? I've read that Japan is far better than the other asian countries. I have a friend at ANA and he loves it.. want to stay there his whole career.
I am in the same boat. I'm 32yo single, no kids. The idea of living in Taipei seems like it would be a once in a lifetime adventure. Im currently flying the CRJ as a captain. I know the hiring in the U.S. is hot right now, and that trend should continue. However there is a romance there about going to a place like Taipei and living there that appeals to me. I struggle with this idea every few months and its really bothering me.

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
privatequity is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2018, 21:12
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: seattle
Posts: 2
Living and working in Taipei

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about applying for the TR 777 position as my wife and I are looking to live in Taipei for a few years. She grew up in Shanghai and likes the idea of living in Taiwan and I am always up for a new adventure. I am curious what the schedule is like for guys who live in Taipei and over all working life. Also, does the housing allowance cover the rent of a nice or at least decent apartment? If anybody has some good information feel free to PM me, I'm pretty sure I set my profile to accept them and emails.

Thanks

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
theflyinfoote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2018, 21:56
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
Working in Asia is not anything like working for a western carrier.

First of all, you are an Ex-Pat, so you will be treated as a second class citizen. Be prepared to be discriminated against, and in Asian culture they don't even attempt to hide the discrimination.

Training is typical asian mentality, which is punitive. Their philosophy is that if you are punished, you will learn. Training is a very negative experience. Be prepared to be belittled, yelled at and constantly threatened.

Check rides and any sim session, as well as line flights in which a management, check pilot or Instructor is on board is a pass/fail check flight which can end your job immediately.

Management including the Chief Pilot, Check Pilots and Instructors are to be treated as Gods walking the earth, and they will expect it. Get on the bad side of any of these types and expect your QOL to deteriorate quickly.

You don't bid schedules, you have a roster, which is to say your flying is assigned. Be prepared for schedules which are brutal by western standards.

Visiting Asia on vacation and actually living and working there are two different things.

My advise is to get a good job with a US major and enjoy your travel privileges and go there often, as a tourist.

After 3 years flying in Asia, I can confirm this is all true.
Boeing_Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2018, 04:50
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: seattle
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Boeing_Guy View Post



After 3 years flying in Asia, I can confirm this is all true.
So that really didn't answer my question. I get that working for an Asian carrier is a lot different than a western. I've experience the Asian mentality through my wife. I was looking for some insight into actually working and living in Taipei. Days off, type of schedule, cost of living in regards to the pay, that type of things.
theflyinfoote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2018, 16:54
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: earth
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by privatequity View Post
I am in the same boat. I'm 32yo single, no kids. The idea of living in Taipei seems like it would be a once in a lifetime adventure. Im currently flying the CRJ as a captain. I know the hiring in the U.S. is hot right now, and that trend should continue. .
Everyday you are not working for a US airline is lost seniority, and seniority is everything.

At some point you will want to return to the US to work, especially after the reality of working for an asian carrier sets in. You seem to be banking on a robust US pilot hiring situation lasting, and again that's a false assumption.

Get a good paying job with a US carrier and with the travel benefits you can see all of asia without subjecting yourself to their work culture.
Black Crow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2018, 17:22
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2
EVA info request

Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post
That is a good idea. Always good to do what you want to do in life. If you want to get away from US. They are bunch of option. You might be quite busy and frustrated with the flying and company culture.


I would suggest go to Japan. Taiwan is a good place, but you can hate it or love it. But I reckon you have been here before. If you want insight on EVA feel free to PM me and I'll give you the low down.
----------------

Hi,
My motivations and desires match the original post almost identically. I was wondering if you maybe could copy and paste the information regarding EVA you sent to the original poster? This forum reflects basically everything I've heard about Asia in general, but from what I've heard through the grapevine is that EVA is recently becoming one of the better expat airlines in Asia. I've been talking to a recruiter at APAS about EVA for about 6 months and of course it's all roses from his perspective but if you have some actual EVA specific information from the inside I'd appreciate it a lot. Every forum I read ends up turning into a generalized explanation of Asia in general which at this point isn't helpful. I'm young, single, motivated, ready to live abroad, and I'm already generally used to being abused .

Other than general working conditions info, one question in particular I had was about applying to the airline without going through a recruiter. My recruiter is good but very slow. I see there is a portal for applying directly on the company website. Is this something you would recommend? Is it faster? Also is EVA in a position that were I to apply at, say, 300 jet time versus the 500 required, that they would possibly accept my application at least to get the ball rolling? My recruiter says not, but I am sort of thinking hes being told to tell people no. If the Asian carriers are half as desperate as the US carriers I'm sort of wondering if they'd still give me a pre-emptive interview and a conditional offer with less than the minimus which is sort of turning into the norm in the US.

Thank you for your time
Chris
Ninjapilot.2014 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service