Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > South Asia and the Far East
Reload this Page >

Korean Air non respect of contract

South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Korean Air non respect of contract

Old 6th Apr 2017, 01:11
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2
Korean Air non respect of contract

Korean air foreign pilots management has unilaterally modified the foreign pilots' contracts by a simple email yesterday. They are not allowing travel on your time off to any other destination than your designated base. Up until yesterday, your could request up to the day of travel, any destination the airlines flies to. Most of the foreign pilots working for KAL were attracted by the convenience of flexible scheduling and confirmed travel in and out of ICN to any destination on their network that they fly to at least twice weekly. It is specified black on white in the employment contract.

The salary at KAL is way less than the neighboring Chinese airlines. Most of the pilots at KAL decided to join the company for these scheduling perks instead of the money. Now these perks are disappearing. Decision are made unilaterally by foreign pilots management and contracts agencies do nothing but cashing their monthly 1000$ commission and answering the pilots emails by saying: We are very sorry to hear that. We hope a solution can be found soon.

Just wanted to warn any pilots in the process of joining the company. KAL is not the same as before and the contract can be modified overnight by a department with very poor managerial skills.

ExpatpilotKAL
ExpatPilotKAL is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2017, 05:54
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
Guess KAL just screwed up the last bit they had going for them. The flexible commuting system.......
CaptBlowOut is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2017, 06:01
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
Just to elaborate a bit more. If you live anywhere but exactly at an Korean Air destination, then you are screwed. No more shopping for cheap fares from different airports to get to where you actually live. No more visiting family or friends in other parts of the world. You can do that on a standby ticket, which they will never upgrade even if you are on your way back to work and economy is full.....
CaptBlowOut is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 04:02
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Krug departure, Merlot transition
Posts: 531
Hello all,

May I ask if this policy change is confirmed? I was considering KAL but frankly if they can change something in your contract at the stroke of a pen I’m not interested, and this specific benefit was indeed one of the more interesting aspects of the KAL deal.

Thanks in advance for any info.
main_dog is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 19:43
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 36N 33E
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by ExpatPilotKAL View Post
Korean air foreign pilots management has unilaterally modified the foreign pilots' contracts by a simple email yesterday. They are not allowing travel on your time off to any other destination than your designated base. Up until yesterday, your could request up to the day of travel, any destination the airlines flies to. Most of the foreign pilots working for KAL were attracted by the convenience of flexible scheduling and confirmed travel in and out of ICN to any destination on their network that they fly to at least twice weekly. It is specified black on white in the employment contract.

The salary at KAL is way less than the neighboring Chinese airlines. Most of the pilots at KAL decided to join the company for these scheduling perks instead of the money. Now these perks are disappearing. Decision are made unilaterally by foreign pilots management and contracts agencies do nothing but cashing their monthly 1000$ commission and answering the pilots emails by saying: We are very sorry to hear that. We hope a solution can be found soon.

Just wanted to warn any pilots in the process of joining the company. KAL is not the same as before and the contract can be modified overnight by a department with very poor managerial skills.

ExpatpilotKAL
Well, you can call your lawyer, he should negotiate with your broker about the exit fee, and then get another job somewhere else... it worked for a few guys who worked in VNA
EagleA25 is offline  
Old 25th Nov 2017, 11:45
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Camel jockey
Posts: 183
This was the result of a poorly written email from someone in the expats department who shouldnít have written it and who didnít have all the information! Yes there are some destinations that are not available to anyone but residents of that country for GD travel but the rest are available to anyone at anytime. I think there are a total of 4 that are not, china is one of them as guys have been using GD travel for interviews there, and Hawaii is another due to large numbers showing up there on the GD flagging immigration!
bia botal is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2017, 01:10
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 36N 33E
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by bia botal View Post
This was the result of a poorly written email from someone in the expats department who shouldnít have written it and who didnít have all the information! Yes there are some destinations that are not available to anyone but residents of that country for GD travel but the rest are available to anyone at anytime. I think there are a total of 4 that are not, china is one of them as guys have been using GD travel for interviews there, and Hawaii is another due to large numbers showing up there on the GD flagging immigration!
The China for Interview is a little fresh, I got to admit; but GD into US Territory should not flag any problems; US air carriers crews do that all the time, to Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, Virgin Islands... bad excuse...
EagleA25 is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2017, 23:46
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Krug departure, Merlot transition
Posts: 531
Thanks Bia. So for example, if once in a while one wanted to position to or from Canada (where some of my family lives) instead of Europe (where I live) that wouldn’t be a problem?
main_dog is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2017, 08:59
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: i'm in the parking lot
Posts: 239
That's not a problem
The Turtle is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2017, 11:45
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Krug departure, Merlot transition
Posts: 531
Thank-you!
main_dog is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2017, 04:00
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: on the road less travelled
Posts: 51
Only Canadian residents can travel on the GD to Canada.
HighSpeedAluminum is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2017, 07:00
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Krug departure, Merlot transition
Posts: 531
Oh dear, now I’m confused. So what is the exact rule, one can change positioning port but only within the same country or region? Or is change origin/destination possible to anywhere except China, Canada and a few others?

Also, are the rules governing this issue policy (in other words subject to change) or contractual?

Last edited by main_dog; 30th Nov 2017 at 07:11.
main_dog is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2017, 20:39
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: on the road less travelled
Posts: 51
Non duty travel, on the GD, to Canada, is only available to Canadian residents. At the moment China, Canada and HNL have restrictions but in reality non duty GD travel to anywhere but your nominated base is being denied. What's in your contract is always subject to change.

Last edited by HighSpeedAluminum; 30th Nov 2017 at 20:53.
HighSpeedAluminum is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2017, 15:16
  #14 (permalink)  
The Bumblebee
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Inside the shiny tube.
Posts: 329
Add India and Fiji to that list as well. India will not let you stay for longer than your longest lay over, for us three days. And Fiji, you cannot leave the country. One of the NZ pilots tried to leave to go to his home town and was denied to leave as a PAX.
My nominated base is ATL, but I regularly travel to DEL and it is allowed as I am an Indian citizen.
So short answer, GD travel is not allowed to a country where that specific country wont allow it. At the moment China, Canada, India, Fiji and HNL (except for US citizens, even green card holders are not allowed.)
DesiPilot is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 11:36
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: i'm in the parking lot
Posts: 239
I regularly duty travel between my nominated base and another base without any trouble. I do special occasions with family in the USA and I live in Asia and have no issues requesting both.
The Turtle is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 01:27
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Krug departure, Merlot transition
Posts: 531
It seems this policy is applied rather inconsistently. Does it depend on your employing agency, or your fleet?
main_dog is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 03:33
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 16
Sorry to jump in but can anyone quickly clarify what staff travel concessions exist with other airlines?

Is it just limited to other Skyteam operators or is it more extensive?
Dinger Bell is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2017, 11:24
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: neverland
Posts: 6
I posted a similar question to my agency and i am even more confused by the answer.
in my contract which has not yet started, it states that the pilot and direct family members are allowed to 4 return tkt FOC confirmed in economy upgradable to business plus 6 tkt 50% per each one of us. elseware it states also that you have access to interline tickets as any other employee...
Do we or we don't have access to interline tickets? does it exists an online system to buy these tickets?
cheers and happy new year fellowa..
FOI
Flyoveriraq is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2018, 21:28
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: A land far, far away
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by Flyoveriraq View Post
I posted a similar question to my agency and i am even more confused by the answer.
in my contract which has not yet started, it states that the pilot and direct family members are allowed to 4 return tkt FOC confirmed in economy upgradable to business plus 6 tkt 50% per each one of us. elseware it states also that you have access to interline tickets as any other employee...
Do we or we don't have access to interline tickets? does it exists an online system to buy these tickets?
cheers and happy new year fellowa..
FOI
Capts have access to ZEDs/IDs on many airlines, most within the ZED system. FOs have none or are restricted.

They are ordered through a paper or emailed request, then 3 days later you take it to the staff travel office at Term 1 and buy it there. Itís an archaic and arduous process, about 10 years behind the industry, but it will eventually change.
Craic Ore is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.