Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > South Asia and Far East Wannabes
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

South Asia and Far East Wannabes A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.

Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Old 19th Jul 2018, 05:27
  #7441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5
Hi everyone, this is my first post @ PPRuNe, I've read every thread from 2016 Dec till now, since the interview process has changed a lot, especially in 2017.
I have summarized what everyone was mentioning in the past threads and came up with the semi-full interview process below, however, there are some variants that I could not comprehend. can someone enlighten me?

STAGE 1 - Initial A (invitation usually receive between 1 weeks to 4 months from application submission)
Computer-Based Aptitude Test (90 mins)

Technical Questionnaire (60 mins) <-- some says this one is in 1b?

ICAO English Exam <-- some say ICAO exam @ 1a due to foreign candidate present at the interview !?
STAGE 1 - Initial B (failures will be notify with 48 hours, successful candidates will be notify for STAGE 2 within a week or two)
Initial Interview with HR Personal (45 mins)
STAGE 2 (for successful candidates, one to two month after STAGE 1 - Initial B)
-Group Exercises (60 mins)
Flight Planning (90 mins)

Panel Interview (60 mins)

ICAO English Exam (? mins) <-- most of the threads mention ICAO exam at stage 2, also many threads omitted the existence of the exam (yes, it seems easy one but can anyone tell me when is the exam take place?)

Class 1 Medical (? mins)
STAGE 3
Computer Based Test Flight Grading <-- most of the recent threads say Flight Grading has been canceled OR replaced by some sort of computer-based assessment, but no clear information on it, is this stage even exist?
mojolo is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2018, 11:34
  #7442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by mojolo View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post @ PPRuNe, I've read every thread from 2016 Dec till now, since the interview process has changed a lot, especially in 2017.
I have summarized what everyone was mentioning in the past threads and came up with the semi-full interview process below, however, there are some variants that I could not comprehend. can someone enlighten me?

STAGE 1 - Initial A (invitation usually receive between 1 weeks to 4 months from application submission)
Computer-Based Aptitude Test (90 mins)

Technical Questionnaire (60 mins) <-- some says this one is in 1b?

ICAO English Exam <-- some say ICAO exam @ 1a due to foreign candidate present at the interview !?

STAGE 1 - Initial B (failures will be notify with 48 hours, successful candidates will be notify for STAGE 2 within a week or two)
Initial Interview with HR Personal (45 mins)

STAGE 2 (for successful candidates, one to two month after STAGE 1 - Initial B)
-Group Exercises (60 mins)
Flight Planning (90 mins)

Panel Interview (60 mins)

ICAO English Exam (? mins) <-- most of the threads mention ICAO exam at stage 2, also many threads omitted the existence of the exam (yes, it seems easy one but can anyone tell me when is the exam take place?)

Class 1 Medical (? mins)

STAGE 3
Computer Based Test Flight Grading <-- most of the recent threads say Flight Grading has been canceled OR replaced by some sort of computer-based assessment, but no clear information on it, is this stage even exist?
Here is a break down of the selection process (As of July 1st 2018)

Initial 1A
  • Computer Based Aptitude Test (Cut-e)
  • Basic Aviation Knowledge Test (FAA PHAK)
Initial 1B
  • Interview (HR)
Final Interview
  • Group Activities
  • Flight Planning
  • Interview (General + Technical)
  • ICAO English Proficiency
  • Medical Examination
PS - Computer Based Aptitude Test at stage 3 is no longer part of the process. ICAO English Proficiency Test happens at the final stage.

One final point - The New Recruitment Manager is still warming up her seat, meaning this process is subject to change. But again, we are not surprised by that are we.

Cheers

Last edited by divergent; 19th Jul 2018 at 11:47. Reason: Additional Info
divergent is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2018, 22:57
  #7443 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1
Hi there,

Does anyone having 1b on 30 July? feel free to reach me on telegram @jinheonx and maybe we can form a study group or share any updates.

Cheers!
marcotang2 is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2018, 06:21
  #7444 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: At home
Posts: 11
Not sure if a storm came through and wiped out CX city and it's dragon sister but no email for months for either an initial interview or rejection? Excuse my french but this is just bloody disrespectful to the candidates. Yes I understand we are numerous and we are nothing to them but a number but with NO transparency of when we could expect things, NO information about their recruitment timeline and start dates, I'm sorry but my life is not there to be dragged around like a dog's, and so isn't yours.

For those who are making it through the stages, good on you, may you qualify all the way through. For new applicants, we need to take action and boycott cadet pilot employment. Stop all new applications and withdraw them if you haven't yet had a reply. We need to make them know that we DO have a choice. We ARE capable of finding other jobs. If this is the way they are going to treat potential talent, then let them starve in their own pool of blood, in the pilot shortage that they have created with their own two hands.
shinytubedreamer is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2018, 07:16
  #7445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5
Anyone who is doing Stage 2 on 23rd Aug (which is net month), please contact me via email at [email protected]. My batch is missing one candidate. Thanks
manho is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2018, 10:26
  #7446 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by shinytubedreamer View Post
Not sure if a storm came through and wiped out CX city and it's dragon sister but no email for months for either an initial interview or rejection? Excuse my french but this is just bloody disrespectful to the candidates. Yes I understand we are numerous and we are nothing to them but a number but with NO transparency of when we could expect things, NO information about their recruitment timeline and start dates, I'm sorry but my life is not there to be dragged around like a dog's, and so isn't yours.

For those who are making it through the stages, good on you, may you qualify all the way through. For new applicants, we need to take action and boycott cadet pilot employment. Stop all new applications and withdraw them if you haven't yet had a reply. We need to make them know that we DO have a choice. We ARE capable of finding other jobs. If this is the way they are going to treat potential talent, then let them starve in their own pool of blood, in the pilot shortage that they have created with their own two hands.
Back in the old days, when the program was still opened to everybody, I waited for about 10 months before getting an invitation, so I know exactly where youíre coming from.

Here are the extensions of the Recruitment Team.

Nicola Bean (Manager) - 2747 8250
Monica Chang (Assistant Manager) - 2747 8220
Jano Choi ( Specialist ) - 2747 8495
Ada Tang ( Specialist ) - 2747 8204

Office hours: 0830 and 1800 HKT Monday through Friday. Better to just ring them.

Cheers
divergent is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2018, 14:39
  #7447 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2
A beginner

Hi, Iím just a beginner and Iím looking for companions. Itís gonna be nice if we could help each other out through this journey Add me on telegram if youíre interested. Telegram ID: Cheryl1230

Cheers
cheryl01 is offline  
Old 24th Jul 2018, 14:33
  #7448 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: LA
Posts: 3
Does anyone know applying for the cadet program is better to obtain a CPL?
austinc is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:32
  #7449 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by austinc View Post
Does anyone know applying for the cadet program is better to obtain a CPL?
The question you should ask is, do I want freedom or do I want to be a slave.
divergent is offline  
Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:40
  #7450 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: HK
Posts: 7
Apply/ Reapply in April2019

Hello fellas,

I will reapply CPP in coming April 2019, looking for some buddy to study and exchange intel tgt.

Feel free to DM if interested or leave a msg here. Cheers!

Regards,
Vic
victorlaw_4 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 05:03
  #7451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1
We are looking for people who are going to have Stage 2 Final Interview on 19 September 2018. Contact me with email: [email protected]
Thank you!
PO170 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 07:51
  #7452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Earth
Posts: 7
Going to the initial A on August 7th, anyone else?
Daace25 is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 08:14
  #7453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 7
Got sent an email for Initial A on 31st July, and they told me to get prepared for Initial B directly after if I pass A. That feels out of the ordinary considering people here usually wait weeks for Initial B?
SilentZephyrus is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 13:39
  #7454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by SilentZephyrus View Post
Got sent an email for Initial A on 31st July, and they told me to get prepared for Initial B directly after if I pass A. That feels out of the ordinary considering people here usually wait weeks for Initial B?
Do you live in overseas SlientZephyrus? They usually condense the initial stage for overseas candidates so that you don't have to fly back and forth. But even if you are not, given to what's happening in the management team, it's not surprised to have initial B right after A nowadays. New people; new rules.
divergent is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2018, 13:52
  #7455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by divergent View Post
Do you live in overseas SlientZephyrus? They usually condense the initial stage for overseas candidates so that you don't have to fly back and forth. But even if you are not, given to what's happening in the management team, it's not surprised to have initial B right after A nowadays. New people; new rules.
I applied while I was still studying overseas but I've since graduated and am now back in HK. In the email they've told me Initial B can either happen directly after Initial A or on the day after, August 1st.

I presume these 2 tests aren't exactly tests you can "revise" for? Aptitude tests and a basic ground exam test?
SilentZephyrus is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 02:03
  #7456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Singapore
Posts: 5
Hi all,

I've recently received an invitation for initial 1A assessment on Aug 15th. As i'm currently residing in Singapore, I'll be flying up to Hong Kong on Aug 14th.

Anyone interested to exchange info and preparation tips, please free free to contact me on telegram: @davidareslaw

Cheers,
David
davidareslaw is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 06:46
  #7457 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by SilentZephyrus View Post
I applied while I was still studying overseas but I've since graduated and am now back in HK. In the email they've told me Initial B can either happen directly after Initial A or on the day after, August 1st.

I presume these 2 tests aren't exactly tests you can "revise" for? Aptitude tests and a basic ground exam test?
You can prep for the pilot aptitude test for sure. Go to latestpilotjobs.com, you will see a list of practice tests for different airlines programs, click on the one that is specifically for Cathay and it will show you everything that is involved in the Cut-e. They are 95% similar to the real test if not 100% and that's what made them stand out from other product like Skytest for instance. Keep in mind tho the practice test is not for free, you will have to pay for it. As for the Technical quiz, all you have to do is to study hard on the FAA PHAK. Simple is that.
divergent is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2018, 11:55
  #7458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by divergent View Post
You can prep for the pilot aptitude test for sure. Go to latestpilotjobs.com, you will see a list of practice tests for different airlines programs, click on the one that is specifically for Cathay and it will show you everything that is involved in the Cut-e. They are 95% similar to the real test if not 100% and that's what made them stand out from other product like Skytest for instance. Keep in mind tho the practice test is not for free, you will have to pay for it. As for the Technical quiz, all you have to do is to study hard on the FAA PHAK. Simple is that.
The technical quiz is based on PPL theory exams right? If I've passed the CAA ground exams I should be good to go after refreshing my knowledge?

I'll take a look at the aptitude tests thanks!
SilentZephyrus is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2018, 10:58
  #7459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by SilentZephyrus View Post
The technical quiz is based on PPL theory exams right? If I've passed the CAA ground exams I should be good to go after refreshing my knowledge?

I'll take a look at the aptitude tests thanks!
The Tech quiz is based on the FAA Handbook that they sent you along with the invitation email. Read the handbook, read a little bit company info then you should be fine. It's quite easy actually. Nothing to worry about.

Good Luck!
divergent is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 09:37
  #7460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: HK
Posts: 7


Hi upinthesky23,

Awesome! Nice to meet you btw I believe your inbox is full and I needa to reply you here instead of DM.

Please add me on telegram @victorlaw_4 and let's discuss tgt!

Thanks!
Victor
Regards,
Victor
victorlaw_4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.