Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Questions
Reload this Page >

how real is 767 PIC for fs2000

Questions If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation please use this forum for questions. Enthusiasts, please use the 'Spectators Balcony' forum.

how real is 767 PIC for fs2000

Old 13th Jul 2001, 15:01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how real is 767 PIC for fs2000

Just wondering if there are any 767/757 pilots out there who have tried 767 Pilot in Command add-on for Flights Sim 2000. How close does it resemble the real thing? I seem to have mastered the computer version, but as I have only just got my PPL, I cannot compare!

regards
Old 13th Jul 2001, 21:33

Wink

It is a pretty picture but Fs2000 is a computer game.

I have over 10,000 hours on the 757 and whilst reasonably proficient I would not be so presumptious to claim to have "Mastered it".

If you want an accurate simulation have a go in a 757 or 767 Full motion simulator. You will appreciate the difference. Not cheap though !
Old 16th Jul 2001, 19:37

Wink

Sorry Simfly, I have to agree with JD.
FS 2000 is worth the full several dozens of dollars if combined with a some thousand dollars worth computer.
It's realism compares to the real Sim as your dollars compare with the several dozens of millions of a Full motion flight simulator, which in turn compares to a several hundreds of million dollars plane.

If this multimillion dollar sim does eventually not really fool me, what can you expect from a Microsoft game?

Sq

P.S. my kids fly FS 2000 better than I do.
Old 17th Jul 2001, 12:19

Have either of you tried this addon for FS2K? I by no means want to imply that a PC simulation can ever get as real as a full motion sim.....let alone the real thing, but I am simply curious as to if you have tried it. It was created by an AA 767 pilot. Systems functionality is supposedly better then 99%. I just wonder of the impressions of any other pilots who have tried it.
Once again, to stem the flames, I am not in any way suggesting it is like the real thing, or, that, even with my PPL I could fly that monster.... as I know I couldn't at my current level of experience. I am just asking for a more in depth analysis of it.
Old 17th Jul 2001, 14:45

I think the original question had more to do with the systems simulation then with the flight model. I too would be interested in hearing from real world 767/757 pilots other than Eric Ernst (he seems a bit prejudiced :-)) just how good (or close) it really is.

For a somewhat involved discussion about difficulties and limitations with FS2K flightmodels goto:
http://www.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum...ForumID8&omm=0

regards
Old 18th Jul 2001, 18:11

DanJ and Lamer, thank you very much! I wasn't at all expecting it to be good enough to give me a 767 rating, but I was meaning more about the systems, FMC etc. I have jumpseated on 757 many times, and from what I have seen in this PC package, it is very close, besides, on all the flights I've been on, the pilots have just been playing with the FMC the whole flight, not very hard to simulate I would have thought!
Old 18th Jul 2001, 18:54

I have not flown a real 767 but have been impressed with the software you describe. It plainly cannot be anything like the real thing but there are elements that deserve praise from a simulation standpoint. For example, reviewers of the program (admittedly not 767 pilots) said they took a real 767 FMC manual and the one provided on the CD. They report that the same level of technical detail was included in each manual and the simulated FMC could be programmed accordingly. Having spent some time arsing around on FS2000, I think it is one of the best around and works very well for what it is. I would say, "if you like it, use it". It's not like the real thing for sure but do you care.
Hope this helps

Nige
Old 18th Jul 2001, 23:03

Thumbs up

Simfly

I fly the 757/767/200-300. I also have 767 PIC.

Verdict: Absolutely first class.

I must admit to only having given it a few hours of my time. Too much like work really but so far everything seems to be very faithful to the real thing.

A few libertys have been taken with the location of some controls but this has been done to improve user friendliness.

Also the fix page in the FMC doesn't seem to work.

Haven't tried too many failure scenarios but will give it a bit of stick prior to my next visit to the real sim.

Did try a double engine flameout and it functioned pretty well but it took me ages to find out how to stow the RAT. Take an engineer with you.

Autothrottles a bit duff

I wish I'd had access to it when I was converting on the type.

CaptainSquelch and Jetdriver. Don't knock it till you've tried it. I really think you would be impressed.

Overall 10 out of 10.
Old 19th Jul 2001, 00:26

If you get the patch from www.wilcopub.com the fix page will work, along with carrier options such as different flight directors and the like!

I am not a pilot yet but thouroughly enjoy 767PIC, i have got into it enough now to start some failures!

Ian
Old 19th Jul 2001, 12:35

It does a cr*p autoland (767PIC that is!).
Old 19th Jul 2001, 21:52

Thanks Ian

Now have a fix page and speedtape. I think the autoland may be improved too.
Old 20th Jul 2001, 00:28

You're welcome! hope you enjoy it, as for autoland, well, i am not sure on the real plane but this is the best autoland so far for f/sim, maybe you could compare it with the real for me? i am sure it is quite real.

Ian
Old 20th Jul 2001, 13:13

767PIC seems to struggle to maintain the localiser (including several touchdowns off the side of the runway). Also, it tends to automatically dump all the autopilots at around 100 knots in the rollout. However, I still think it is a very impressive piece of software and a superb device for getting familiar with the Boeing FMC.

regards
wizzy

[ 20 July 2001: Message edited by: wysiwyg ]
Old 20th Jul 2001, 21:59

does the same for me! the FMC is good fun though, once i learned how to work it!

One day i may get to play with a real one!

Ian
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 06:39

Thumbs up

Fs2k is one thing, FS2k with PIC is another.

I was absolutely amazed when I first loaded up PIC. I dont think any other simulation really comes close to its detail and quality. Initially I was a little disspointed with a few things but before I knew it, the patch came out and yet again I was amazed

I have a real sim coming up shortly which is a flight from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and back. After going through all the charts I entered a few SIDs STARs and APPs into the PIC FMC and flew the sim through PIC...I find it a really handy way to fine tune procedures and practise the more complex SID and go around procedures that exist around the place. It is also a great way to run through your procedures for a particular non-precision approach somewhere.

Next run through I will include the non normals we will be getting in the sim, and with a QRH handy, PIC is great for non-normal checklist management.

I think Eric and all have done a fantastic job, onya guys.

Cheers,
Kam