Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Options for ME & IR Ratings, simulator time needed?

Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Search this Thread

Old 20th Oct 2021, 09:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I am currently choosing the school for the ME & IR ratings and I have the following options:

School 1:
40 h IFR Single Engine C172
6 h VFR Multi Engine DA-42
15 h IFR Multi Engine DA-42
No simulator at all

School 2:
15 h IFR Single Engine C172
35 h IFR FNPT-II Simulator
6 h VFR Multi Engine PA34
2 h IFR Multi Engine PA34
3 h IFR FNPT-II Simulator

Which one do you think is the best training for IR? I was going to choose the first one, but I am wondering how bad or good for training is not having simulator time. I suppose that in this case it will not be possible to recreate all the IFR situations and procedures you need to learn.

Regarding the money it would be more or less the same, taking into account the extra hours I have to do to reach the 200 h for the CPL.

Last edited by gersio; 20th Oct 2021 at 16:27.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 12:56

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally I think instrument time in the airplane is more valuable. Because of the realism of the training, and because of the huge savings that can be made vs a simulator. Obviously that last bit depends on the cost differential, but where I went the cost for the SIM was nearly as much as the airplane.

Obviously a SIM has its uses for certain training scenarios; holds repeating approaches etc but the truth is you won't use the SIM like that - you're first 10 hours maybe, but after that you'll be practicing full routes, which would be better done in the airplane.
Old 20th Oct 2021, 12:57

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
I would suggest a hybrid, school 1 for SEIR and school 2 for MEIR. Maximum savings, best of both worlds.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your opinion rudestuff , very appreciated. I think I will choose first option. If the sim trainning is in its majority for full routes, it will be better real flight of course. I would try to clarify this with the schools to get more information anyway.