Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

BA to RAF

Old 12th May 2020, 09:57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BA to RAF

Surprised nobody has picked up on this yet, perhaps it's only just appeared on the Sky News webpage?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...dment-11986803
Old 12th May 2020, 10:31

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
They'll get a nasty shock when they pick up their first pay cheque!
Old 12th May 2020, 10:42

Received 508 Likes on 143 Posts
Wensleydale

Maybe they’ll just be grateful to be paid at all.

BV
Old 12th May 2020, 10:42

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver

Received 221 Likes on 64 Posts
Somebody hide the opener! There's a whole can of worms here.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:43
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A secondment might suggest an element of loan pay from BA. And a job is perhaps better than no job.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:08

Gentleman Aviator

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
An interesting reversal of just post WW2, where I think RAF pilots were seconded to BOAC.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:47

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The RAF will pay the airline what they used to pay them. The airline will pay them what it thinks the RAF would pay them.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:55

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This has raised its head before, sometime in the 1970s IIRC. Nothing came of it then and; possibly apart from a small number of recent leavers; I would be surprised if anything came of it this time.

YS
Old 12th May 2020, 12:26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont believe that any of the younger (less experienced) BA pilots who have not been in the forces will cut the mustard. Many will be washed out at the officer training stage. If indeed it was to happen.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:57

I would assume this would be open to more than BA pilots. What about the VA, Flybe and TCX crews ...
Old 12th May 2020, 12:57

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Douglas Bahada
I dont believe that any of the younger (less experienced) BA pilots who have not been in the forces will cut the mustard. Many will be washed out at the officer training stage. If indeed it was to happen.
I’ve never flown for BA or the RAF so am interested to hear why they wouldn’t cut the mustard.

The article said up to 48 months secondment so presume they will only do a tarts and vicars course followed by a rapid OCU to get the most bang for the buck?
Old 12th May 2020, 13:00

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Surely if they can capably fly a large aircraft without crashing it into anything/anyone then they should do okay on the RAFs large aircraft without the complete officer training bit?
Old 12th May 2020, 13:01

PPRuNe Person

Originally Posted by turbine100
I would assume this would be open to more than BA pilots. What about the VA, Flybe and TCX crews ...
I believe this is a BACC initiative. Up to the other airlines CCs if they want to join in the approach to the RAF?
Old 12th May 2020, 13:04
sp6

I would have thought that most of the young people who cut the mustard to get an ATPL and join BA could also be selected and absorb the training to become Reserve/Regular Officers. I fly with both military and ATPLs and we are not that much different in the crew room. Having also served as a military recruiter, seen selection and IOT from both sides; your sweeping statement does not reflect reality.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:09

I’ve never flown for BA or the RAF so am interested to hear why they wouldn’t cut the mustard.

The article said up to 48 months secondment so presume they will only do a tarts and vicars course followed by a rapid OCU to get the most bang for the buck?
Pilots with no military experience will have to go through 6 months officer training. Re-treads would undertake 2 week refresher course. As always, you join the military as an officer first and pilot second. There’s a lot more to the job than simply poling a large aircraft around.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:14

A little bit arrogant! There are probably many relatively inexperienced BA pilots who would run rings around their RAF colleagues, given how little variety and recency some people get in the military these days.

Last edited by Redcarpet; 12th May 2020 at 13:31.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:17

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Megaton
Pilots with no military experience will have to go through 6 months officer training. Re-treads would undertake 2 week refresher course. As always, you join the military as an officer first and pilot second. There’s a lot more to the job than simply poling a large aircraft around.
They won’t get much of a chance to do anything other than sticks and poles in a 48 month stint. Maybe 3ic flight commander or gardening member on the committee if those jobs aren’t already filled by future CAS thrusters.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:18

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Six months IOT followed by the standard hold would make the whole exercise pointless as there wouldn’t be any opportunity to return any productive service within the suggested timescales. Either entry requirements need to be somewhat abridged or the whole thing should be restricted to retreads.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:20

Three year Return of Service I believe.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:27

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or serious. If the later, I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.