Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Ollie Pallett

Search this Thread

Old 27th Feb 2020, 08:41

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ollie Pallett

Sadly Ollie has passed.

This is reposted from FB. I met Ollie at Bruntingthorpe. A VC10 man if there ever was one.

'I am deeply saddened to inform everyone of the passing of one of the founding members of this group, Ollie Pallett. As a group we are in shock at the news and our thoughts are with Ollie's family and friends. We will miss him greatly and his passing is a great loss to the entire VC10 community.
Ollie was responsible for getting a team together to return ZD241 to the serviceable condition she is in today. Those that have come to know Ollie over the last few years will have seen his love for ZD241. He spent many hours helping to maintain and operate the aircraft for so many of us to enjoy at the Cold War Jets Days at Bruntingthorpe.

WE WILL MISS YOU, BLUE SKIES AIRMAN.
Ollie Pallett, 1982 - 2020, Rest In Peace.'
Old 27th Feb 2020, 08:50

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Sad news indeed as an ex VC10 Engineer who lives just down the road from Brunty, sad that may be closing too and the aircraft departing. RIP Ollie.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 09:22

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sad that such a young enthusiast has left us too early. Good "spanners" are always in short supply.
As a once local lad to Bruntingthorpe, and having flown in on a few occasions, can you confirm, NL, that there is a chance the Waltons are selling and that the airfield is to close ?
Old 27th Feb 2020, 09:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I politely suggest that given the subject of the opening post of this thread, that we move chat about a load of rusty old tin to another thread? Seems inappropriate to thread-jack this sad news. RIP Ollie...
Old 27th Feb 2020, 13:24

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FJ2ME
Can I politely suggest that given the subject of the opening post of this thread, that we move chat about a load of rusty old tin to another thread? Seems inappropriate to thread-jack this sad news. RIP Ollie...
Absolutely, have a little respect for a lovely chap and his family at this sad time.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 23:43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously the whole VC10 team from Bruntingthorpe are devastated at the news; in a cruel twist of fate, several of us were at Wg Cdr Phil McConnell’s funeral when we received the news.

Ollie used to appear on some of the forums, including this one (his username escapes me right now). His passion and knowledge of the VC10 was probably unequalled in recent times - impressive given he was a frontline GE on a far more modern type - and he was often to be found helping or offering guidance and advice to the other VC10 “preservationists”. Without his efforts we wouldn’t have had ZD241 in its current form, bringing the vintage jet “experience” to many people, old and new.

RIP mate.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 09:04

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleeve Wing
Sad that such a young enthusiast has left us too early. Good "spanners" are always in short supply.
As a once local lad to Bruntingthorpe, and having flown in on a few occasions, can you confirm, NL, that there is a chance the Waltons are selling and that the airfield is to close ?
The museum has closed on Sundays and there are rumours about the aviation side are being given their marching orders so the whole site can go over to cars, one hopes not as the likes of the Buccs etc do not know where they will go, when they will go or worse still how.... some of the larger stuff must be at risk too.

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/for...c.php?t=185799

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-...-aviation-side
Old 28th Feb 2020, 21:59

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks, NL. That's not good news. Too few airfields seem prepared to host heavy metal these days; there is very little profit.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 11:37

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
RIP Ollie. Long may 241 serve as a memory to your efforts.