Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Ryanair pilot roster

Wikiposts
Search
Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Ryanair pilot roster

Search this Thread

Old 21st Jul 2010, 19:22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair pilot roster

Hi all, I'm curious to find out a typical pilot roster for ryanair. I am aware of the 5 on 4 off roster, but i just want to know how many flights a pilot would do on a typical days work. All replies welcome!

Thanks
Old 21st Jul 2010, 22:05

The 5/4 roster isn't universal and some bases are 5/3. The 5/3 pattern seems to apply to seasonal bases, reverting to 5/4 come winter. The likes of Malaga, Faro, Trapani, Alghero etc operate this way.

As for a typical roster pattern - there isn't one. You can expect to be busy come the summer schedule and less so come the winter schedule. There are all sorts of variables beyond this. Too many to go in to!!

Summer, so far, has been 4 days of flying and one standby. Occasionally 5 full days have appeared. Other bases can and do offer less, depending on their size. Come winter, 2 to 3 days a week. Again, it can be less. Capacity appears to be further reduced this winter as the airline becomes more seasonal.

Sorry I can't be more definitive, however with no particular system in place, you unfortunately can't be. I can't tell you what bases are busiest, what are quietest, who works most, who works least. You take your chances.

The hard facts are these.

As a FO, you won't fly 900 hrs per year - it's difficult to exceed 750 in my opinion. The regularly quoted figures vary from 600 to 700 per annum.
The company holds more FOs than necessary; this becomes very apparent come winter. Above all, you are a source of revenue via the SSTR.

Best of luck and above all enjoy (there are plenty of positives by the way - I'll let you discover these for yourself should you join )

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 23rd Jul 2010 at 18:05.
Old 25th Jul 2010, 17:57

New bases are 5 on 3 off. Ryanair are actually understaffed this summer. 2, 4, and 6 sectors days. Mostly 5 on 4 off. I have been flying 5 days solid this summer.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 09:13

"best of luck and above all enjoy (there are plenty of positives by the way - I'll let you discover these for yourself should you join )"

Plenty of positives : oh yeah I'am sure ehehehehhehehheheheheheh........( crew food maybe....)
Old 26th Jul 2010, 13:40

Superced

You make me sigh. Thanks for sharing your in-depth knowledge of our operation. I'm sure the original poster found it both enlightening and meaningful.
Old 26th Jul 2010, 15:38

I understand that there are no 'normal rosters' in any airline...but it would be nice to know the average length of a duty day? 5hrs? 8hrs? 14hrs?

What about monthly duty totals? (FDP and duty?)

I have to say that 5 on 4 off sounds VERY appealing. Do Ryanair offer 'Request Days Off' or anyway to get special weekend off you might need?

What about leave? How much do you get and when can you take it? (summer/winter)

Serious responses only please......
Old 26th Jul 2010, 17:17
SD.

Don't expect to be allocated any leave you ask for. Only chance of getting a weekend off you need is to swap.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 09:48

I understand that there are no 'normal rosters' in any airline...but it would be nice to know the average length of a duty day? 5hrs? 8hrs? 14hrs?
A typical duty day will comprise of 2 long sectors or typically 4 sectors which can derive or 2 medium/longish sectors and 2 short 'domestic' sectors. FDPs seem to average around the 7-8hr mark but do extend to 10 (and a bit further ). There are also some shorter FDPs, however in my opinion these feature more in the winter. 6 sector days are not unheard of, yet at the same time aren't a feature of each and every base. The company policy per Ops Part A is crew check-in at -45mins STD (some bases require a little longer, especially if you prefer a more relaxed pace at 5am on your first set of earlies for the week!)

What about monthly duty totals? (FDP and duty?)
A few basic facts. You can't exceed 190 duty hours in 28 consecutive days or 60 duty hours over 7 consecutive days. However 5/4 (or 5/3 for that matter) wouldn't permit this anyway. FDP for myself this week is close to 38 hours (full five days of duty). It can be more (in the summer obviously) and it will be less in the winter. Block hours are restricted to 900 per year. The year runs 01 April to 31 March. Cpts can be expected to fly between 800-900. FOs 600-750.

I have to say that 5 on 4 off sounds VERY appealing. Do Ryanair offer 'Request Days Off' or anyway to get special weekend off you might need?
You can 'request' any day off that you want through the internal system. Response time is usually pretty good. Whether you get it or not is another matter. I have never attempted to make any sense of the 'system' used to determine leave because you basically can't. During this time of year, it may be more productive and less frustrating to arrange a 'swap.'

Yes, besides Ryanair management continually 'banging on' about how we have industry leading rosters (usually as part of a grease down pre penetration!! ) I do admit that 5/4 is pretty good.

What about leave? How much do you get and when can you take it? (summer/winter)
See ballyboley's comments. If you are agency, you apply directly to them (who then contact rostering). If you are Ryanair then you apply directly to rostering.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 10:23

I'am sure Ryanair is your first airline......
Old 27th Jul 2010, 10:51

You are correct

And now you are going to tell me that you fly for a company who treats you like a sky god, pays you the equivalent of the GDP of a small country, serves you lobster bisque in the cruise and gives you more leave than a part-time school teacher?

Two people have asked questions regarding FR flight operations. As I have been here a few years now I thought I may be at liberty to 'help them out,' so to speak. I do so with no hidden agenda. I'm absolutely positive that they are as equally interested to hear what ever you have to say, superced
Old 27th Jul 2010, 11:26

the first one I was sure about that...

nice brain wash....
Old 27th Jul 2010, 11:48

the first one I was sure about that..
Must be great to be right all the time? The world lacks people of your ability.

nice brain wash....
Another comment relevant to the theme of the thread. Unfortunately it carries as much use as a canoe fitted with a handbrake! I see a trend developing with your posts superced.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:16

Callsign Kilo. I'm very surprised to see you rise to this clown.

He/She has nothing constructive to say.

See his/her drivel for what it is. Drivel.

If someone with the mind of a 2 year old wants to sit up on their high stool and doodle on a keyboard. Let them.
Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:21

go around flaps15

You're right. Must have momentarily short circuited! I'm off to work...busy days ahead
Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:38

PM : go post somewhere else

Ok I will do that Michael.

LCC
Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:46

Thumbs down

And you are proud of this **** :

Amnesty International: Ryanair : pratiques sociales VS tickets au rabais ?

Old 27th Jul 2010, 12:52

Some cabin crew in Ryanair makes 800E A month and they are even not able to eat at the end of the month with that . And you are of proud of that????
Old 27th Jul 2010, 15:23

what the devil is a "sector?" i think they're called "legs"... where do you guys come up with this funky lingo?
Old 28th Jul 2010, 07:13

in the UK legs are for standing on but we fly sectors.
Old 28th Jul 2010, 08:07

aa73 , what a hoot ( that is a laugh by the way , not an owl type noise ) , you must be one of the myriad Yanks who are amazed that British people also speak English ,often with real cute accents too. Love it .
And , BEFORE you sound off , I have a daughter-in-law from Ohio who is very well loved ( as are her parents ) in our family . Their easy-to-like persona are most likely caused by their fondness for foreign travel which makes them realise that the USA is not always the centre of the universe.
You take care now.
KK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.