PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Rumours & News (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news-13/)
-   -   Virgin Atlantic (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/630579-virgin-atlantic.html)

SOPS 16th Mar 2020 14:09

Virgin Atlantic
 
On the 10pm news here in Australia is was reported that Virgin Atlantic will ground 85 percent of its fleet.

OntimeexceptACARS 16th Mar 2020 16:08

Three A340-600s ferried to Prestwick for storage in the last day or two, plus two out of use at LGW, and B789 G-VNYL was recently still donkless at LHR. There's your first 15 percent right there.

Awful times.

clivegore 16th Mar 2020 23:53

Richard put your hand in your pocket
 
Now is the time to find out what type of person Branson really is. Treat your staff better Richard

pineteam 17th Mar 2020 03:24

A friend of mine working for Virgin says they must take minimum 2 months of non paid leave.

Riskybis 17th Mar 2020 07:01


Originally Posted by pineteam (Post 10716875)
A friend of mine working for Virgin says they must take minimum 2 months of non paid leave.

8weeks unpaid leave over 6 months and pension reduced to 6% ,
not bad at all !!!
and yet some of the “senior entitled pilots” still complain!! Unbelievable in times like these

Arkroyal 17th Mar 2020 07:12


Originally Posted by Riskybis (Post 10716982)
8weeks unpaid leave over 6 months and pension reduced to 6% ,
not bad at all !!!
and yet some of the “senior entitled pilots” still complain!! Unbelievable in times like these

As unbelievable that the billionaire boss might ride the storm for his loyal staff with the small change in his pocket.

Riskybis 17th Mar 2020 07:17


Originally Posted by Arkroyal (Post 10716988)
As unbelievable that the billionaire boss might ride the storm for his loyal staff with the small change in his pocket.

that Boss only owns 20% of the business now , the real Boss is Delta that has the majority of 49% , I believe they have probably helped behind the scenes

beardy 17th Mar 2020 07:24


Originally Posted by Riskybis (Post 10716993)
that Boss only owns 20% of the business now , the real Boss is Delta that has the majority of 49% , I believe they have probably helped behind the scenes

20% of his fortune is still a fortune.

touch&go 17th Mar 2020 07:29

The KLM/AirFrance deal didn't happen so he still own 51%, having Branson as an owner at the moment is probably a liability as the UK tax payer won't be happy about giving a billionaire tax payer cash to keep one of his companies going, they think he needs to put his hand in his own pocket and stop using tax payers money, it will be a hard sell to the uk general public, the question is when the tide goes out is he naked?

macdo 17th Mar 2020 08:38

Worth noting that the Delta ceo has announced that he is taking a 100% pay cut. https://www.travelpulse.com/news/air...-cutbacks.html

Private jet 17th Mar 2020 11:10

When did Virgin Atlantic Ltd last make a profit exactly? If it were not for the benevolence of others then all the staff would have had a 100% pay cut, 100% time off and 0% pension some time ago?

Riskybis 17th Mar 2020 11:42


Originally Posted by Private jet (Post 10717225)
When did Virgin Atlantic Ltd last make a profit exactly? If it were not for the benevolence of others then all the staff would have had a 100% pay cut, 100% time off and 0% pension some time ago?

I think Virgin Atlantic has lots of smoke and mirrors going on with its finance , hasn’t made a profit for years ! A bit like how Monarch was before it got taken over by Greybull

WHBM 17th Mar 2020 11:44

RB has made some money from a few of his ventures, but never from Virgin Atlantic, which long term seems to have consumed more money that it generated.

Old definition of How do you Become a Millionaire in Airline Ownership. Answer : Start as a Billionaire.

Count von Altibar 17th Mar 2020 12:25

The measures sound a bit tame to me given 85% of the fleet is going to be on the ground shortly. Maybe they know something about the upcoming government airline rescue package that we don't?

dobby88 17th Mar 2020 12:40

It's probably not that they know something. I imagine they already have these agreements in place in case of any calamity (natural disasters, civil unrest etc) to rescue british nationals. The gov is eerily quiet about it at the moment, but I imagine there need to be rescue flights at some point as none of these countries will want to keep foreign nationals within their borders for longer than they have to. I'm chatting out of my arse though, I have friends abroad which I hope will be repatriated sooner rather than later.

Even if they do run these flights, they won't be anywhere near enough movements to sustain the business. I don't imagine they need more than 5% of their capacity to organise these flights.

Maxfli 17th Mar 2020 16:35

Who owns VA
 

Originally Posted by A320baby (Post 10717069)
Richard still owns the 51%

Virgin Atlantic is owned by the Virgin Group (20%), Air France-KLM (31%) and Delta Air Lines (49%).
The multi jurisdictional aspect of the ownership doesn't make it a prime candidate for a Westminster bail-out.

Worrying times for all staff everywhere.




procede 17th Mar 2020 16:41


Originally Posted by Maxfli (Post 10717572)
Virgin Atlantic is owned by the Virgin Group (20%), Air France-KLM (31%) and Delta Air Lines (49%).
The multi jurisdictional aspect of the ownership doesn't make it a prime candidate for a Westminster bail-out.

Worrying times for all staff everywhere.

The 31% AF-KLM was announced, but fell through. https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/air-...ng-partnership

lomapaseo 17th Mar 2020 17:21


Originally Posted by Maxfli (Post 10717572)
Virgin Atlantic is owned by the Virgin Group (20%), Air France-KLM (31%) and Delta Air Lines (49%).
The multi jurisdictional aspect of the ownership doesn't make it a prime candidate for a Westminster bail-out.

Worrying times for all staff everywhere.

Well with an influx of cash from the US to help Delta weather the storm, then Delta can emerge strong enough to bail out Virgin later for pennies on the pound. I aint predicting that will happen but all options should be considered.

So what do the UK citizens want, pay me now or a fire sale later? For me I would rather fly on Virgin then BA after this is all over

ambidextrous 17th Mar 2020 19:09


Originally Posted by lomapaseo (Post 10717627)
Well with an influx of cash from the US to help Delta weather the storm, then Delta can emerge strong enough to bail out Virgin later for pennies on the pound. I aint predicting that will happen but all options should be considered.

So what do the UK citizens want, pay me now or a fire sale later? For me I would rather fly on Virgin then BA after this is all over

Don't forget that Richard made his first millian? by not paying tax on his record sales. Once you've made your first millian, your up and running.

P.S.: Meany moons ago, Peter Sellers stared in "I'm All Right Jack"! As relevent now as it was then.


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:36.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.