Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

When you come across the title "Is Airbus hiding an evolution?"

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

When you come across the title "Is Airbus hiding an evolution?"

Old 11th May 2024, 22:43
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 26,906
Received 352 Likes on 124 Posts
Anyone who has ever flown in formation with a Tu-95 or Tu-142 will know how LOUD those big turboprop engines with contra-rotating props are.

A400M isn't really all that noisy, it's just that it makes an unusal sound.
BEagle is offline  
Old 13th May 2024, 16:18
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Age: 77
Posts: 141
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
Anyone who has ever flown in formation with a Tu-95 or Tu-142 will know how LOUD those big turboprop engines with contra-rotating props are.

A400M isn't really all that noisy, it's just that it makes an unusal sound.
I agree, I live near to a military LL route (N Gloucestershire) and the Atlas gives us regular flypasts 👍👍 about 400 yds distant and at 250 ft, not noisy at all.
SRMman is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2024, 12:36
  #43 (permalink)  
ENTREPPRUNEUR
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The 60s
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not seen any comment recently about where all this leaves RR. I got the impression that they thought the noise and safety issues would never be solved but if GE/Safran are making it work, they're going to be in a tough position to compete for next generation narrow bodies. Perhaps they're not really that bothered. Perhaps they think it's too much like hard work.
twistedenginestarter is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2024, 09:25
  #44 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Far East
Posts: 315
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedenginestarter
RR.... , they're going to be in a tough position to compete for next generation narrow bodies.
I thought they left that market already and focus on developing for wodebody long distance aircraft?
waito is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2024, 15:01
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Walthamstow
Posts: 125
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waito

The European Pilot and youtuber Mentour Now picked it up and speculatesin a recent video. My Thread Title is taken from that.
Best avoid anyone on YouTube with the word "Mentour" in their name. Especially when it comes to flying! Are we really quoting nonsense off YouTube now?
SQUAWKIDENT is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2024, 15:25
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seat 1A
Posts: 8,651
Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawkident
Best avoid anyone on YouTube with the word "Mentour" in their name.
Before criticising, you should have a listen to him. You might learn something. ​​​​​​​
Capn Bloggs is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 11th Jun 2024, 15:30
  #47 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Far East
Posts: 315
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by SQUAWKIDENT
Best avoid anyone on YouTube with the word "Mentour" in their name. Especially when it comes to flying! Are we really quoting nonsense off YouTube now?
Mentour Pilot isn't known for nonsense and sensationalism. He's an airline pilot on 737 (if ihe hasn't changed) and generally publishes reasonable info.

Of course the topic here is speculation by him. Granted.
waito is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 11th Jun 2024, 17:13
  #48 (permalink)  
ENTREPPRUNEUR
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The 60s
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waito
I thought they left that market already and focus on developing for widebody long distance aircraft?
This from November last year:

Rolls-Royce has reaffirmed its strategy to re-enter the competitive market for narrowbody aircraft engines, leveraging advancements from its UltraFan demonstrator. Having exited this market in 2012 after selling its stake in the V2500 programme to Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce is now poised to disrupt the existing duopoly in the single-aisle engine space. The company is exploring a partnership to reintroduce itself into the market, driven by the belief that its cutting-edge UltraFan technology offers significant performance improvements.

twistedenginestarter is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2024, 19:28
  #49 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Far East
Posts: 315
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedenginestarter
This from November last year:

Rolls-Royce has reaffirmed its strategy to re-enter the competitive market for narrowbody aircraft engines, .
Thank you. Well, then they are already interested in Ultrafans.

Now I'm confused, you somehow contradict your ealier post?
waito is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2024, 02:40
  #50 (permalink)  
ENTREPPRUNEUR
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The 60s
Posts: 571
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waito
Thank you. Well, then they are already interested in Ultrafans.

Now I'm confused, you somehow contradict your ealier post?
The Ultrafan is a geared, ducted fan with 14:1 bypass ratio. It is said to be 10% more efficient. RISE is unducted with a bypass ratio of 75:1 and 20% more efficient.
twistedenginestarter is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2024, 11:25
  #51 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Far East
Posts: 315
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by twistedenginestarter
The Ultrafan is a geared, ducted fan with 14:1 bypass ratio. It is said to be 10% more efficient. RISE is unducted with a bypass ratio of 75:1 and 20% more efficient.
Ah, I missed that difference.

Well, competition of concepts is almost always good. Sure it looks less promising what RR favours.

I remember the race between the LEAP and GTF engines. Majority of experts predicted the LEAP way will be too much of a stretch and risks instability of performance figures and reliability. GTF however solving a known problem, was the way to go. Well, now we know better.
​​​​​
waito is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2024, 16:58
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 69
Posts: 4,554
Received 323 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by waito
I remember the race between the LEAP and GTF engines. Majority of experts predicted the LEAP way will be too much of a stretch and risks instability of performance figures and reliability. GTF however solving a known problem, was the way to go. Well, now we know better.
​​​​​
I'm not sure why anyone would consider the LEAP to be an excessive stretch - it was basically just taking the technology of the GEnx and shrinking it down to a smaller engine.
I don't know that I saw the narrow body sized GTF as a great risk, but a lot of people questioned (and still question) growing the gearbox to the level needed for a 787 or A350 sized aircraft.
tdracer is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2024, 21:10
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Den Haag
Age: 57
Posts: 6,386
Received 386 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by SQUAWKIDENT
Best avoid anyone on YouTube with the word "Mentour" in their name. Especially when it comes to flying! Are we really quoting nonsense off YouTube now?
You clearly have no clue who you are talking about!
212man is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2024, 00:38
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yakima
Posts: 627
Received 290 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
You clearly have no clue who you are talking about!
His series on MD buying Boeing was and the consequences was extremely well done. Worth a watch.
Winemaker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.