Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Air France grounds A380

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Air France grounds A380

Old 14th Mar 2020, 08:18
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Enroute
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korean Airís 10 A380s are also grounded but their 747 cargo aircraft are in high demand.
Emirates are asking for delays in deliveries of A380s.
AtoZ is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 13:25
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: By the Sea
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FG: Coronavirus brings Virgin Atlantic A340 era to sudden halt

These will be grounded, and presumably ground up too.
ElectroVlasic is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 13:49
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The No Transgression Zone
Posts: 2,478
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectroVlasic View Post
FG: Coronavirus brings Virgin Atlantic A340 era to sudden halt

These will be grounded, and presumably ground up too.
Shame, to me the A340 is the most aesthetic of all the Airbuses. Beautiful lines and curves
Pugilistic Animus is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 16:19
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 286
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Link to this info please.
Firing was maybe the wrong word, not renewing temporary contracts the right one. Only dutch sources:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2327047-klm-w...500-banen.html



procede is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2020, 22:32
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Belgium
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by procede View Post
Firing was maybe the wrong word, not renewing temporary contracts the right one. Only dutch sources:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2327047-klm-w...500-banen.html
I don't want to correct you or your article, but the KLM press release clearly mentions between 1500 and 2000 Full Time Equivalents.
luchtzak is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 07:21
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 286
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luchtzak View Post
I don't want to correct you or your article, but the KLM press release clearly mentions between 1500 and 2000 Full Time Equivalents.
So that would then be even more people without a job...
procede is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 08:15
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by procede View Post
Firing was maybe the wrong word, not renewing temporary contracts the right one. Only dutch sources:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2327047-klm-w...500-banen.html

Correct. 1500-2000 FTE, not only temp employments but also flex hires will be let go.

Also there will be a reduction in contract hours of all personnel by 30%. This cut will only partially be covered by the government.
ReturningVector is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 08:32
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 293
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AtoZ View Post
Korean Airís 10 A380s are also grounded but their 747 cargo aircraft are in high demand.
Emirates are asking for delays in deliveries of A380s.
EK were asking for delays to 380 deliveries long before corona kicked off!
Fuel Crossfeed is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 08:57
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Warwick
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For every action there is a reaction, every one is shutting down and isolating now but that will change, those cancelling travel and holidays will rebook later. I am predicting this crisis will either burn itself out within 6 weeks or we will all be dead. By midsummer itís likely everyone will be flat out working overtime so make the most of the time off you have now, it will improve soon enough.

Yes. I have always been an optimist!.
Deltasierra010 is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 14:20
  #30 (permalink)  
Pegase Driver
 
Join Date: May 1997
Location: Europe
Age: 72
Posts: 3,381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deltasierra010 View Post
, those cancelling travel and holidays will rebook later. I am predicting this crisis will either burn itself out within 6 weeks or we will all be dead. By midsummer itís likely everyone will be flat out working overtime so make the most of the time off you have now, it will improve soon enough.
Yes. I have always been an optimist!.
6 weeks ? I wish you were right but every specialist predict it will be months before we see the end of this...
One think you are right though it will rebound and pick up again , and then many of us will be caught with our pants down trying to replace all those people gone , just like the previous crises..
ATC Watcher is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 14:49
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All KLM lay offs, as previously mentioned, are temporarily contracts and flex workers. NO layoffs of pilots, cabin crews. They do have requested the government for compensation for 30% of the total income of all 30.000 employees. In that case the top 30% of your income will be paid for 70% by the government.

So NO permanent contract job losses. And for all 30.000 employees about a 10-12% income loss. Which is a pre-tax amount. So most pilots will see a 5-6% NET pay decrease.

the 1500-2000 jobs that are lost are primarily for ground staff functions hired by external companies.
aerodestination is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 17:00
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 45
Posts: 286
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aerodestination View Post
All KLM lay offs, as previously mentioned, are temporarily contracts and flex workers. NO layoffs of pilots, cabin crews. They do have requested the government for compensation for 30% of the total income of all 30.000 employees. In that case the top 30% of your income will be paid for 70% by the government.

So NO permanent contract job losses. And for all 30.000 employees about a 10-12% income loss. Which is a pre-tax amount. So most pilots will see a 5-6% NET pay decrease.

the 1500-2000 jobs that are lost are primarily for ground staff functions hired by external companies.
They are still people who are now without a job. And with current developments, all bets are off. I would not be surprised if most carriers end up going bancrupt and/or being nationalised.
procede is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 17:15
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by procede View Post
They are still people who are now without a job. And with current developments, all bets are off. I would not be surprised if most carriers end up going bancrupt and/or being nationalised.
absolutely not denying that off course! But currently there are no lay offs for people with permanent contracts. Just wanted to make that clear.
aerodestination is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 17:40
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 44
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS are temporarily sending home 10.000 employees, or 9 out of 10 employees. Out of 4.200 employees in Denmark, only 200 will remain. 3.000 staff will be sent home from Norway and Sweden.

Out of Copenhagen SAS will only operate a single domestic route to AAL.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sa...te-sendes-hjem (Danish)
https://www.nrk.no/norge/her-er-regj...vet-1.14945564 (Norwegian)
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/snabbkoll...-000-anstallda (Swedish)

Staff in Denmark will not be laid off, as the Government will be paying up to 75% of the salaries of all employees in private industry, who would otherwise face mass lay-offs. Don't know the situation in Sweden or Norway, but I guess they'll be headed for similar solutions.
SMT Member is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 23:59
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: hotel
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aerodestination View Post
And for all 30.000 employees about a 10-12% income loss. Which is a pre-tax amount. So most pilots will see a 5-6% NET pay decrease..
10-12% gross is 9-11% net!
sarah737 is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 01:13
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 577
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarah737 View Post
10-12% gross is 9-11% net!
ots ofOriginally Posted by aerodestination View Post
And for all 30.000 employees about a 10-12% income loss. Which is a pre-tax amount. So most pilots will see a 5-6% NET pay decrease..

Others in our industry will see a 100% decrease in their earnings. go figure......
Longtimer is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 07:30
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
And for all 30.000 employees about a 10-12% income loss. Which is a pre-tax amount. So most pilots will see a 5-6% NET pay decrease..
You need to brush up your maths a bit!
50% tax is applicable to the amount not to the percentage of pay loss, Sarah is correct.
(150.000 pre-tax is +/-76400 net, 10% less, 135000 is 68900 net, which is 7500 or 9,8% less)
SpGo is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 07:39
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpGo View Post
You need to brush up your maths a bit!
50% tax is applicable to the amount not to the percentage of pay loss, Sarah is correct.
(150.000 pre-tax is +/-76400 net, 10% less, 135000 is 68900 net, which is 7500 or 9,8% less)
You need to brush up your understanding of tax a bit! Income tax is graduated - you don't pay the top rate on your whole income. Tax rates in Norway start at 22%.

I have no idea how much pilots earn at Norwegian, so I can't make the calculation. But the net cut will definitely be less than 10% because of the graduated tax rate.

For example. If someone earns 200k, and 100k is taxed at 25% and 100K at 50%, post-tax income is 125k. Reduce this by 10% to 180K and post-tax income is 115K, a reduction of 8%.
marchino61 is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 07:56
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
You need to brush up your understanding of tax a bit! Income tax is graduated - you don't pay the top rate on your whole income. Tax rates in Norway start at 22%.

I have no idea how much pilots earn at Norwegian, so I can't make the calculation. But the net cut will definitely be less than 10% because of the graduated tax rate.

For example. If someone earns 200k, and 100k is taxed at 25% and 100K at 50%, post-tax income is 125k. Reduce this by 10% to 180K and post-tax income is 115K, a reduction of 8%.
Exactly 8% and not 5% as OP wrote, they were claiming a 10% pay cut becomes 5% due to 50% tax.
Your example for Dutch tax, talking about KLM after all, would be:
200k equals 101,7 net and 180k becomes 91,6 a loss of 10,1k or 9,9%...
SpGo is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2020, 09:41
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mud Island
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can probably convert it but it will be:
1) Expensive
2) Heavy
offa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.