Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Ryanair downsizing

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Ryanair downsizing

Old 31st Jul 2019, 14:38
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Almost horizontal
Posts: 111
And clearly not a mathematician! Ours profits are down 21% on last year, which itself was 20% down on the previous year - a total reduction of 41%?? Really! Maybe the laws of Math are different in O’Leary land
Too Few Stripes is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 15:32
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between Foxrock and a hard place
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Too Few Stripes View Post
And clearly not a mathematician! Ours profits are down 21% on last year, which itself was 20% down on the previous year - a total reduction of 41%?? Really! Maybe the laws of Math are different in O’Leary land

Yeah, I agree. It’s how he speaks though. Bluster and confusion. Like the ‘18hrs work a week’ spiel he comes out with.
sprite1 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 15:40
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Centre of Universe
Posts: 279
I'm sure the redundancies will be from bases that have pi$$ed him off, coincidence of course
Twiglet1 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 16:44
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: London
Posts: 2
Should I be concerned as someone looking to begin flight school soon?
Crusherrr is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 18:39
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: England
Posts: 623
And clearly not a mathematician! Ours profits are down 21% on last year, which itself was 20% down on the previous year - a total reduction of 41%?? Really! Maybe the laws of Math are different in O’Leary land
I think they might have got Diane Abbott to help with their accounts
Miles Magister is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 08:17
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: california
Age: 61
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by Crusherrr View Post
Should I be concerned as someone looking to begin flight school soon?
If you have a European passport then I'd start, should be a good time. If you only have a British passport then forget about it. Brexit combined with sympathy to green movement views mean that the British industry will be in decline.
polax52 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 08:46
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: waterskiing 2 miles behind the ac...
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by zerotohero View Post
Id imagine contractors are fine as they are free if they don't fly apart from recurrent training. This to me looks like a good way to lose Ryanair employees that are expensive and also weaken the union.

I did hear there are lots of quite rosters now and guys offered unpaid leave instead of standbys. Again id assume this is just Ryanair direct employment. Be interesting to hear how busy contractors are.

And they only made £262million in the last quarter.... oh boo hoo. How ever will they pay the light bill with a quarter of a billion in 3 months.
and how much tax do they pay in the Land of Leprechauns?! I hope the tax haven Celtic tiger gets its claws clipped after Brexit.
Training Risky is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 08:49
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: World
Posts: 115
No need to be racist
BoeingLudo737 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 09:34
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: california
Age: 61
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by Training Risky View Post


and how much tax do they pay in the Land of Leprechauns?! I hope the tax haven Celtic tiger gets its claws clipped after Brexit.
Think about your own tax situation. Everybody tries to minimise the tax which they pay, as long as it's done legally then it's totally acceptable.
polax52 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 09:41
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Flightdeck
Age: 32
Posts: 271
Originally Posted by Training Risky View Post


and how much tax do they pay in the Land of Leprechauns?! I hope the tax haven Celtic tiger gets its claws clipped after Brexit.
Mate the amount of taxes to be paid in Ireland is close to 40/50% of the gross salary. Not in FR anymore but I still keep my old payslips.

Tax heaven my a*s.
Papa_Golf is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 10:04
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by Papa_Golf View Post


Mate the amount of taxes to be paid in Ireland is close to 40/50% of the gross salary. Not in FR anymore but I still keep my old payslips.

Tax heaven my a*s.
The tax on income is in parity with other European countries.
What seemed (to me) to set Ireland apart from other places is the low cost of labour (employer's social charges). Also corporate tax rate is low.

Someone else can fill in more details.
172_driver is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 10:16
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South
Posts: 113
Downsize RYR « legacy » and hire through the new RYR ourfits in Poland or Malta....
BlueVolta is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 10:24
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: attitude is nominal
Posts: 604
Around 900 redundancies possible is what I hear.
Less Hair is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 10:39
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 674
Austrian media is reporting on pressure being exerted on Ryanairs Laudamotion subsidiary. If the labour council will not agree on various cost cutting measures, the 4 planned additional A320 might be cancelled and replaced by 4 wetleased FR 737s; 30 jobs are said to be at risk.

If, however, such an agreement was to be reached, Laudamotion "might reconsider" terminating those 30 employees. Sounds tempting...
Tu.114 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 13:07
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North
Posts: 48
"but remember that ryanair has the lowest costs of any airline in Europe"

well, and by far the lowest revenue... Sound like scaremongering to prevent actions and to get away with base closures and transfers. Off course the MAX issues are still real and with a smaller fleet the demand for pilots will be lower. This should only be a shorter term problem though.
aerodestination is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 14:46
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Farnborough Hants
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by dcoded View Post
Hm..
Aren't the unions threatening with some form of industrial action in a few weeks?
Then I find this message more than a "coincidence"
Me too.
I'm sure it wasn't that long ago that RYR cut a load of flights due to lack of pilots and other staff (or so MOL said at the time) yet now they have so many extra staff that they do not need.......
Paul Lupp is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 16:02
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: waterskiing 2 miles behind the ac...
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by 172_driver View Post
The tax on income is in parity with other European countries.
What seemed (to me) to set Ireland apart from other places is the low cost of labour (employer's social charges). Also corporate tax rate is low.

Someone else can fill in more details.
Quick google says it's 12.5%. As opposed to 19% in the UK and 21% in the USA (down from 35% pre-Trump!).
Training Risky is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 16:41
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by Training Risky View Post
Quick google says it's 12.5%. As opposed to 19% in the UK and 21% in the USA (down from 35% pre-Trump!).
Thats correct but I doubt if Ryanair will be paying too much Corporation Tax.
As the company is structured with Ryanair holdings PLC at the top looking after Ryanair Ireland, Ryanair UK, Ryanair Sun (based in Poland) and Laudamotion there would be many perfectly legal loopholes to avoid paying tax. Remember Starbucks a couple of years ago ?

I have a friend of mine who's a contact aircraft engineer here in Belgium, last year his accountant mentioned to him that he had paid more tax than Interbrew, (the owners of Stella Artois etc.)

Regardless of where a company is based, the companies at the top pay next to nothing, the people at the bottom pay nothing so that leaves the guys and girls in the middle to pay everything , I would assume that would be most of us here !
Webby737 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2019, 22:17
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 0
This news is very interesting in light of the RYR air crew battling RYR in The Netherlands (see Ryanair pilot strike). In that case, RYR argued that the base changes were needed out of economic necessity. Initially, RYR lost that case as they failed to provide compelling evidence that there was indeed an economic necessity, and the court ruled that the base changes were more likely to be an act of revenge to retaliate against striking crew.

This news may provide the arguments needed by RYR to convince the appeals court that indeed, they were (and are) facing the economic misery they said they were. That means that the initial judgement could be set aside.
ph-sbe is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 08:31
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 553
ph-sbe:

It doesn't work that way in Dutch civil law. The appeals judge will and must decide based on the facts and circumstances at the time of the disputed base closure and redundancies, as brought forward by the conflicting parties. RYR already cited the base as 'underperforming' and other economic difficulties and this argument was thrown out by the judge. The MAX grounding popped up after the start of conflict and can not serve as an argument in any appeal.
Longhitter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.