Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Vistara UK944 lands with 200kg fuel

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Vistara UK944 lands with 200kg fuel

Old 17th Jul 2019, 13:00
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London
Posts: 35
Vistara UK944 lands with 200kg fuel

Looks like a fun day out...

15th July A320 Mumbai-Delhi, diverts to Lucknow, further diverts to Prayagraj but ends up landing in Lucknow on vapours. All seemingly created by unforecast low vis.

From flightradar, 38 mins between entering hold pattern at DEL to missed approach and diversion. Further 10 mins holding at Lucknow before heading off to the east, then landed approx 40 mins after entering hold at Lucknow.

Nothing on AVherald

https://apple.news/AYyq6kLJqSc-snDazWL_G8w

BleedingOn is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 13:46
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 50
200kg of fuel remaining!

https://ibb.co/ZGqYSLC





Last edited by Senior Pilot; 18th Jul 2019 at 06:22. Reason: Add image
pineteam is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 13:47
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Isla Grande
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by pineteam View Post
200kg of fuel remaining!
START APU
gearlever is online now  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 14:57
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Isla Grande
Posts: 930



There are rumours TOF was 8.500 kg.
Two G/A and diversion, total flight time 3h29min.
What do the 320 jocks say about possible fuel remaining?

Last edited by gearlever; 17th Jul 2019 at 15:08.
gearlever is online now  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 17:41
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 29
Insufficient fuel as a result of insufficient use of the word "Unable" to ATC.
Auxtank is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 18:01
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salzburg
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by BleedingOn View Post
Nothing on AVherald

While we can confirm the diversions and 3:29 hours total flight time, we have no evidence of a landing with less than minimum fuel. The claim by Indian media might also be read (as this fine difference likely isn't known to them) as minimum fuel + 200kg.

At this time we know this:

The crew diverted to Lucknow and performed an approach without requesting priority or declaring emergency. The crew went around, still no Mayday. The crew diverted again, and now the Mayday call comes - hence it is obvious landing at Allahabad was no longer ensured with the minimum fuel still onboard. The aircraft turned back to Lucknow and landed, probably with more fuel on board than would have remained after landing at Allahabad.

At this time it is unclear what amount of fuel really was on board after landing. We are waiting for official comment by the DGCA (if they report a serious incident indeed, then this was a landing with less than the minimum fuel and we are going to report. If it wasn't a serious incident, then they landed with minimum fuel still on board and we are not going to report this at all).

Servus, Simon
Austrian Simon is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 18:13
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,194
Simon - post #2 by pineteam has a link to a photo of 200 kgs of fuel remaining. What's unknown is if that's actually from the incident aircraft.
misd-agin is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 18:44
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada/Malaysia
Age: 80
Posts: 122
...this is PPRuNe...Simon deals in factual...
BlankBox is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 22:41
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ireland
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by misd-agin View Post
Simon - post #2 by pineteam has a link to a photo of 200 kgs of fuel remaining. What's unknown is if that's actually from the incident aircraft.
Very unlikely.

Why would someone take a random photo of an MFD on landing, other than to demonstrate what fuel was left in which case it would be framed around the FOB part of the display and not hopelessly out of focus,

Speed of Sound is offline  
Old 17th Jul 2019, 23:49
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 72
Pilot grounded by the DGCA:

DGCA grounds Vistara pilot who issued Mayday call

Aviation regulator DGCA on Tuesday grounded a pilot who issued a 'Mayday' distress call due to low-fuel near Lucknow airport on Monday while operating a Mumbai-Delhi flight.

A senior Vistara official confirmed that the pilot has been "de-rostered" as per the instructions of the regulator.

"The pilot who was operating UK944 flight and issued a 'Mayday' call on Monday has been grounded by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)," a source said.

The source added that the regulator is trying to ascertain the facts regarding this matter and it would soon hold a meeting with the pilots - who were flying the UK944 flight - and the executives of the company.

"The pilot made a 'Fuel Mayday' call, which is issued when aircraft starts tapping into its emergency fuel reserves," another source said. ...
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...163-2019-07-16
futurama is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 01:22
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 877
200 kg is lower end taxi burn. The tanks would need to be dipped to get an accurate figure for this quantity.
krismiler is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 01:55
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: FL 410
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by krismiler View Post
200 kg is lower end taxi burn. The tanks would need to be dipped to get an accurate figure for this quantity.
Dunno why thE company in question never had a closer alternate like VIJP in their SOP. Heard they are incorporating it now.
VIJP is CAT IIIB able field.
Dynamite1 is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 07:40
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 11,888
Originally Posted by Speed of Sound View Post
Very unlikely.

Why would someone take a random photo of an MFD on landing, other than to demonstrate what fuel was left in which case it would be framed around the FOB part of the display and not hopelessly out of focus,

I'm confused - are you saying that the fact it's blurred suggests that it is, or isn't, the incident aircraft ?

One would hope that not too many other opportunities arise to record a reading like that.

Of course the lack of focus would make it easier to Photoshop.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 07:56
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ireland
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post

I'm confused - are you saying that the fact it's blurred suggests that it is, or isn't, the incident aircraft ?
My initial impression was that as you say, a blurred photo would be easier to Photoshop and present as fake news but on further reflection, if there was a dispute between crew members as to how the situation arose, the picture may well be a sneaky mobile phone shot taken by a nervous first officer as evidence, which would explain the poor framing and focus as well as the fact that the ‘camera’ was moving when the picture was taken.
Speed of Sound is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 08:20
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: here and there
Posts: 231
Oh thank heavens

Originally Posted by futurama View Post
Oh thank heavens he/she’s grounded , now we’re all safe well done 👍
masalama is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 08:28
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,194
Lack of focus proves nothing.
misd-agin is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 16:06
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the sky allways
Posts: 65
They are no more grounded..... They just had a bad day.. We all do
speedbird787 is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 16:08
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in the sky allways
Posts: 65
Here is the oder from dgca
speedbird787 is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 16:11
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lat N55
Age: 53
Posts: 70
Looks like a circus


Anvaldra is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 17:06
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Having a margarita on the beach
Age: 48
Posts: 1,706
"The pilots are cleared to resume their normal flying duties". Wtf ?
sonicbum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.