Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Highest time airframe ever

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Highest time airframe ever

Old 24th Apr 2019, 12:19
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: down under
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever View Post
I flew a Convair 580 that had 96,000 hrs and 157,000 cycles 6 years ago.
what was it like? I mean, condition for hours?
cooperplace is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 13:40
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 105
Flybe have some Dash 8s with 30k+ cycles on them at around 14-15 years old. Hours not that high but 6-10 sectors a day is hard on any airframe.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 15:24
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: shiny side up
Posts: 431
Is Jetstar still flying those old Luft A320's?
Smythe is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 16:16
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 10,982
Originally Posted by Smythe View Post
Is Jetstar still flying those old Luft A320's?
I don't know about Jetstar, but Lufthansa itself is flying some pretty ancient A320s, some approaching 30 years old.

That said, I don't see a shorthaul narrow-body qualifying as the highest-time airframe. If a winner is ever conclusively established, I'll be very surprised if it isn't a 747.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 22:18
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,031
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
That said, I don't see a shorthaul narrow-body qualifying as the highest-time airframe. If a winner is ever conclusively established, I'll be very surprised if it isn't a 747.
Wouldn't be so convinced on that on a longer term basis given Ryanair utilisation of some of their aircraft.

They have a few that are close to 17 years old and utilisation likely to be huge.

Average utilisation is circa 9 hrs per day per aircraft with some doing a lot more

Wonder what EI-DAC has done.

Doubt they have anything about 50,000 yet but the will be close with some.
racedo is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 04:06
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 3,563
Codperplace

The Convair had been very well looked after by the previous airline who had run it for over 25 yrs. I found it flew better then some others with considerably less time and was very reliable.
Big Pistons Forever is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 05:19
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Top Bunk
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Wouldn't be so convinced on that on a longer term basis given Ryanair utilisation of some of their aircraft.

They have a few that are close to 17 years old and utilisation likely to be huge.

Average utilisation is circa 9 hrs per day per aircraft with some doing a lot more

Wonder what EI-DAC has done.

Doubt they have anything about 50,000 yet but the will be close with some.
Doubtful.. Short sectors and high cycles,. Most older ryr {mostly leased} aircraft have gone to Korea. Jeju, T'Way etc
45989 is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 05:30
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Wouldn't be so convinced on that on a longer term basis given Ryanair utilisation of some of their aircraft.

They have a few that are close to 17 years old and utilisation likely to be huge.

Average utilisation is circa 9 hrs per day per aircraft with some doing a lot more

Wonder what EI-DAC has done.

Doubt they have anything about 50,000 yet but the will be close with some.

To be in the race you need more than 12 hrs per day - averaged over around 30 years.

At only 9 hrs a day you are way behind the 8 ball.
Bend alot is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 05:32
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: down under
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever View Post
Codperplace

The Convair had been very well looked after by the previous airline who had run it for over 25 yrs. I found it flew better then some others with considerably less time and was very reliable.
good to hear, thanks

cooperplace is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 07:03
  #50 (permalink)  
Trash du Blanc
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: KBHM
Posts: 1,184
Originally Posted by Lord Farringdon View Post
Well, the MD-11 that bought my on line car parts to Auckland yesterday must have had some hours on her. 26 years old according to Flightradar and she didn't get a lot of ground time as FDX 75.

I know the record is presumed to be a B747 (long sectors,lower cycles etc) but could a UPS or Fedex DC-10/MD-11 be up for the challenge?

I flew 605 into SYD a few days before that. as I recall, about 90,000 total time on the maintenance log. I'm guessing it was the fifth freighter made, as 601 was the first (and I believe the first MD11 delivered).
Huck is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 08:11
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: aboard
Age: 60
Posts: 73
I flew a ex-KLM B747-200 SUD Freighter with MPH for a few years between 2003-2006. Built in 1975, it was then supposed to be the highest time airframe in the world. The HMV we did at around 125.000 hrs included a LOV (Limit of Validity Inspection), basically meaning that Boeing didn't design the airplane to be flown that many hrs, and extra inspections were needed to ensure its structural integrity.
We sold it to Southern Air in 2006, which were supposed to part it out but somehow decided to fly it some more.

It was retired in 2011, and subsequently stored or scrapped in MHV. Assuming Southern flew it for another 5000 hrs that adds up to some 130.000 hrs.

Apart from a rather quirky autopilot system, it flew just fine

Last edited by Mariner; 25th Apr 2019 at 08:13. Reason: typo's
Mariner is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 10:01
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 53
Posts: 1
KLM PH-BFC City of Calgary; 141.938 flying hours and 17.271 cycles. Last flight march 12 2018

28.5 years with some substantial volcanic ash damage when 6 months old.

Now stored at Teruel? (some of the KLM 747's stored there were scrapped)
wortelkwadraat is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 11:14
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Auckland nz
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I flew 605 into SYD a few days before that. as I recall, about 90,000 total time on the maintenance log. I'm guessing it was the fifth freighter made, as 601 was the first (and I believe the first MD11 delivered).
Hi Huck. May i say it is a pleasure to hear from a guy who flies these beauties to NZ on the FDX 75 schedule. My wife and I do 'occasional' on line shopping and whenever I get the opportunity, I use Fedex because the service is just so great. I mean, I can order a part in Auckland and it wouldn't get to me before the part I ordered from east coast US, flown by Fedex! And your tracking system and delivery updates are just spot on. I know I sound like like a walking advertisement but i don't apologize. You guys and gals do a great job! I'm impressed! It's nice to be able to tell that to someone from Fedex.

Anyway back on topic! Thanks for the information about 605. Perhaps you may know somebody who knows somebody who could provide a verified record holder in this thread?

I suggested 47 year old 10-10 N365FE but other's suggest she's being almost semi retired and while still flying, is only doing short sector domestic work.



Lord Farringdon is online now  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 11:22
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,031
Originally Posted by 45989 View Post
Doubtful.. Short sectors and high cycles,. Most older ryr {mostly leased} aircraft have gone to Korea. Jeju, T'Way etc
All the aircraft were bought as owned aircraft, they then sold on to Lease co in a Sale and Leaseback deal. So buying a 738 for say 25 M, sell to lease co for 35 M, lease for 7 years, lease co sell on at a profit. Everybody makes money as Ryanair realise benefit of purchasing at low cost.
racedo is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 11:24
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,031
Originally Posted by Bend alot View Post
To be in the race you need more than 12 hrs per day - averaged over around 30 years.

At only 9 hrs a day you are way behind the 8 ball.
Average includes those that sit on ground doing nothing as spare aircraft. There are many doing way more than 9 hrs a day
racedo is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 11:37
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Average includes those that sit on ground doing nothing as spare aircraft. There are many doing way more than 9 hrs a day
Love to hear this explanation.
Bend alot is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 14:02
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,031
Originally Posted by Bend alot View Post
Love to hear this explanation.
Pretty easy, during winter they have airframes sitting around, also during summer at key bases so they may need to slot aircraft in when something goes tech. High hours older soon to be out of fleet will get more usage than newer frames. Selling a 738 in October 15 yrs old for $5m, you will not have it sitting on ground as a spare, you will be maxing hours because still going to get $5 million for it whether you add another 1000 plus hours or not.
racedo is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 15:21
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,024
Originally Posted by Lord Farringdon View Post
I suggested 47 year old 10-10 N365FE but other's suggest she's being almost semi retired and while still flying, is only doing short sector domestic work.
It is not semi-retired, it is what it is with all other 10-10s - it is not a longhaul aircraft due to 1) payload range 2) fuel burn 3) maintenance costs. They all do short sectors providing volume for zero capital cost, possibly some Canada and upper part of Latin America. It only takes around 60t of cargo and it will take it 4 tech stops to reach SYD or AKL.
CargoOne is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 21:47
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: kc, mo
Posts: 11
MD-11, Lufthansa Cargo, S/N 48413, L/N 488, D-ALCO, 139.224h 25.272cyc (31.12.2010)
)
bhunt95 is offline  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 23:28
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 64
Posts: 2,525
Originally Posted by wortelkwadraat View Post
KLM PH-BFC City of Calgary; 141.938 flying hours and 17.271 cycles. Last flight march 12 2018

28.5 years with some substantial volcanic ash damage when 6 months old.

Now stored at Teruel? (some of the KLM 747's stored there were scrapped)
Just shy of 142k hours would definitely put it in the running for high time - that's ~13.6 hours/day, every day, for 28.5 years.
Part of me thinks it would be somehow fitting that the high time aircraft would be the 747-400 that was nearly lost in a volcanic ash encounter when new.

Perhaps, someday, the high time aircraft will be one of those new-fangled carbon fiber 787s or A350s - carbon fiber doesn't fatigue the way aluminum does. But it'll be a couple decades before that can possibly happen.
tdracer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.