Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Stobart Air and Virgin joining forces to buy Flybe?

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Stobart Air and Virgin joining forces to buy Flybe?

Reply

Old 10th Jan 2019, 22:03
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Stobart Air and Virgin joining forces to buy Flybe?

https://news.sky.com/story/virgin-and-stobart-take-off-with-flybe-in-cut-price-deal-11604069

Any thoughts on this?
Interesting times ahead for these companies.
chief is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 01:23
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,213
Loss makers take over other loss maker.

I hear sounds of an empty can being kicked down the road.
racedo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 05:51
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA, US
Posts: 6
News regarding deal expected at 7am and word is that Flybe will be rebranded as FlyV.
carmel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 07:54
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,636
It is to be called Connect Airways apparently but fly under the Virgin Atlantic brand. Bought for 2.2 million with shareholders getting 1p a share.

Last edited by compton3bravo; 11th Jan 2019 at 07:57. Reason: Spelling etc
compton3bravo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 08:11
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under a Rock
Age: 49
Posts: 48
Its official

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827
Wickerbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 08:44
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 818
I still don't think people see the bigger picture regarding Virgin- Delta have sad that they have learnt a lot from buying into them and don't seem unhappy about it.

So -there will obviously be pruning at Fly Be. I would expect DSA and CWL to be vulnerable - and EXT at least to some extent. The new airline taking over UK regional and some LHR flying from Air France. (and gaining some LHR slots that way). SOU will largely be kept - it is profitable. - as will MAN with hub potential but I am less sure about BHX. All E175 to remain. LHR domestics to remain. Not sure about Aer Lingus flying- will IAG be happy for that to be flown by a competitor or will it go to CityJet.

There/s my twopenneth. - and it assumes VS is DL/AF/KL owned inn the main. This is Atlanta talking - it wouldn't be happening otherwise. And it will be helped by a third runway at LHR - that must factor into the thinking. Neither VS or BA want Easy there.
22/04 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2019, 11:59
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: London
Posts: 40
It baffles me when people think that VS is loss making 😂😂 itís pretty obvious thatís itís a tax avoidance scheme with Delta which makes almost the same amount of profit as the whole of IAG
Heard the other day that VS/Delta is also eyeing up NAS
Riskybis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 09:27
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: LHR and beyond
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Loss makers take over other loss maker.

I hear sounds of an empty can being kicked down the road.
Well it canít be that bad as Virgin has paid my mortgage for nearly 2 decades!! 🛎🔚

fast cruiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 11:23
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,213
Originally Posted by fast cruiser View Post

Well it canít be that bad as Virgin has paid my mortgage for nearly 2 decades!! 🛎🔚
Good and long may that continue.

https://www.ft.com/content/a81e071a-...e-cc62a39d57a0. However it lost £28 million in last reported Financial year and its margin when profitable is less than 1%.

Neither Virgin or Stobart are making huge profits that allow lots of cash to be invested in turning Flybe around. Flybe Plc was bought by Connect with the 2 airlines getting use of the assets. Connect Airways Ltd directors are Lucien Farrell, Jonathan Brown. Iinteresitng that Warwick Brady appointed as a Director in December and resigned 2 weeks later.

Issue and problem with Joint ventures is that all parties to it will have different agendas.
racedo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 18:59
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up north
Posts: 1,538
Originally Posted by 22/04 View Post
I still don't think people see the bigger picture regarding Virgin- Delta have sad that they have learnt a lot from buying into them and don't seem unhappy about it.

So -there will obviously be pruning at Fly Be. I would expect DSA and CWL to be vulnerable - and EXT at least to some extent. The new airline taking over UK regional and some LHR flying from Air France. (and gaining some LHR slots that way). SOU will largely be kept - it is profitable. - as will MAN with hub potential but I am less sure about BHX. All E175 to remain. LHR domestics to remain. Not sure about Aer Lingus flying- will IAG be happy for that to be flown by a competitor or will it go to CityJet.

There/s my twopenneth. - and it assumes VS is DL/AF/KL owned inn the main. This is Atlanta talking - it wouldn't be happening otherwise. And it will be helped by a third runway at LHR - that must factor into the thinking. Neither VS or BA want Easy there.
As if this little project was ever going to keep EZY out of LHR?! EZY has mapped out 79 (!) routes theyíd be interested in operating out of LHR if / when third runway is ready.

CP
CaptainProp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 20:37
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 53
Nice one Fast Cruiser spoken like a Virgin Bloke. Been paying my mortgage for 25 years and nearly paid off. At the end of the day we are the best kept the secret
4engines4longhaul is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2019, 22:18
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Botswana
Posts: 636
Sheer fantasy to be talking about Heathrow’s third runway as if it’s going to have an impact on any airline CEO’s plan within the next twenty years.
RexBanner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2019, 14:23
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sussex
Posts: 541
I smell a government subsidy being offered in the not to distant future.
stormin norman is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service