Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for flying Mi-8/17/171/172

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

I'm looking for flying Mi-8/17/171/172

Old 9th Sep 2020, 11:51
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: england
Posts: 973
JimmyO/ anyone else -
Do you have any performance data for your Mi-17 that you can share? I'm interested to see what the "russian workhorse" is capable of and I'm also working on an educational project that some sample data might help me with.
pba_target is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 12:14
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by pba_target View Post
JimmyO/ anyone else -
Do you have any performance data for your Mi-17 that you can share? I'm interested to see what the "russian workhorse" is capable of and I'm also working on an educational project that some sample data might help me with.
Have a look through the TCDS (https://www.favt.ru/public/ododoc/%D...rev08_eng1.pdf)

It's no manual but maybe you'll find what you're looking for in there.
ApolloHeli is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 14:33
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: england
Posts: 973
Originally Posted by ApolloHeli View Post
Have a look through the TCDS (https://www.favt.ru/public/ododoc/%D...rev08_eng1.pdf)

It's no manual but maybe you'll find what you're looking for in there.
Thanks, a lot of useful data, but not "usable performance" if that makes sense - how much the aircraft can move in payload and fuel, or what it's performance is given a weight.
pba_target is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 14:35
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: cape town
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by pba_target View Post
JimmyO/ anyone else -
Do you have any performance data for your Mi-17 that you can share? I'm interested to see what the "russian workhorse" is capable of and I'm also working on an educational project that some sample data might help me with.
I flew the Mi8 MTV-1 (Mi17) and it had an empty weight of around 7100kgs and a gross weight of 13000kgs so that should give you a pretty good idea. There were 2 different hooks, one for 3000kgs and one for 5000kgs. It could easily hover OGE at 13,000kgs and probably 14,000. I picked up a long line load one day and thought it felt pretty heavy, so had it weight. It was 5,400kgs. Probably had 45mins of fuel and we didn't need full power but close. They are very impressive beasts.
bront is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 14:51
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spain
Age: 36
Posts: 48
Trying to attach the performance section of the FM.

Edit: I seem to have difficulty in attaching a 2,9 mb file.

Performance section can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cH8...ew?usp=sharing
Modtro is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2020, 15:20
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: england
Posts: 973
Ace, thanks for all the above - out of interest anyone flow both the 17 and the 171? Or other variants with different perf? How much difference is there between a "classic" and a modern variant? I'd imagine most of the difference is at the hot/high end of the performance range?
pba_target is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2020, 11:16
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spain
Age: 36
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by pba_target View Post
Ace, thanks for all the above - out of interest anyone flow both the 17 and the 171? Or other variants with different perf? How much difference is there between a "classic" and a modern variant? I'd imagine most of the difference is at the hot/high end of the performance range?
I got he chance to spend about 700 hrs in them, 50% in the MI-8MTV-1 (also known as the MI-17) and 50% the MI-8AMT (known as the MI-171), local and export naming of the same aircraft add to the confusion of what is what. Generally speaking, performance was almost the same as they are more or less the same aircraft, same engines, same transmission... They differed in that the 171 has a wider left side passenger door, added a right side sliding door (moving the burner for the heating system above that door), hydraulic ramp instead of the manual clamps shell doors (adding weight and complexity), a slightly improved electrical system, and another APU (ditching the AI-9 with a 30 min run limitation for the Saphire, with no max run time). I preferred the MTV for the heavy and bulky loads as it was a slightly lighter aircraft and those doors were very useful in creating a big gab for the forklift, the AMT for troop movement as they were in and out in less time.

The big difference was with the older and "Classic" MI-8 (the one with the tail rotor on the right side) underpowered and very limited with its tail rotor authority, specially in Hot and High.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.
Modtro is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2020, 16:34
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: england
Posts: 973
Originally Posted by Modtro View Post
I got he chance to spend about 700 hrs in them, 50% in the MI-8MTV-1 (also known as the MI-17) and 50% the MI-8AMT (known as the MI-171), local and export naming of the same aircraft add to the confusion of what is what. Generally speaking, performance was almost the same as they are more or less the same aircraft, same engines, same transmission... They differed in that the 171 has a wider left side passenger door, added a right side sliding door (moving the burner for the heating system above that door), hydraulic ramp instead of the manual clamps shell doors (adding weight and complexity), a slightly improved electrical system, and another APU (ditching the AI-9 with a 30 min run limitation for the Saphire, with no max run time). I preferred the MTV for the heavy and bulky loads as it was a slightly lighter aircraft and those doors were very useful in creating a big gab for the forklift, the AMT for troop movement as they were in and out in less time.

The big difference was with the older and "Classic" MI-8 (the one with the tail rotor on the right side) underpowered and very limited with its tail rotor authority, specially in Hot and High.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers.
Thanks for taking the time to answer!
pba_target is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.