Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

NPAS News 2019

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

NPAS News 2019

Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:35
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Titusville
Age: 37
Posts: 3
Hi Chaps, at the risk of being slightly off-topic here, I have the first of the selection interviews for the NPAS external pilot role. Getting information as to what is heading my way has been difficult, any ideas on areas to prepare? Likely flight test items?

Many thanks,

B
westonblake is offline  
Old 24th Jul 2019, 12:35
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 705
You are doing nothing underhand by visiting your local base, they will give you all the advice you need.

SL
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2019, 19:51
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by Sloppy Link View Post
You are doing nothing underhand by visiting your local base, they will give you all the advice you need.

SL
Hope you enjoyed it, shame I missed you yesterday. Bon chance.
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 26th Jul 2019, 21:44
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Anglia
Posts: 1,873
As an ex-QM for an ASU almost 10 years ago, I find this thread a record of appalling service from NPAS - unbelievable!
In my own home area nobody I have spoken to can actually remember when the last police helicopter flew over Norfolk...
Rigga is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 07:20
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by Rigga View Post
As an ex-QM for an ASU almost 10 years ago, I find this thread a record of appalling service from NPAS - unbelievable!
In my own home area nobody I have spoken to can actually remember when the last police helicopter flew over Norfolk...
That may be a Norfolk thing....
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 08:51
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by Sloppy Link View Post

That may be a Norfolk thing....
If only it were but, unfortunately, Norfolk is not an isolated case.
MaxR is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 10:37
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by MaxR View Post
If only it were but, unfortunately, Norfolk is not an isolated case.
Hmm...my comment could have been taken one of two ways, firstly as a reflection on how people of Norfolk may not be up to remembering much and secondly the lack of Police helicopters in Norfolk in particular.
Dunno who said it, but the moment you have to explain a joke, it ceases to be funny. Ho-hum.
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 12:05
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 111
I thought of both and decided that Norfolk wasn't an isolated case in either instance.
MaxR is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 15:19
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by MaxR View Post
I thought of both and decided that Norfolk wasn't an isolated case in either instance.
Touché mon ami, Touché.*
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 20:55
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 3,363
If I recall correctly, Norfolk never had it's own Air Support, nor was it part of a consortium. I believe that it just used to hire ad hoc support(Sterling Helicopters???). In the latter days prior to NPAS, I think it used to get help from Suffolk.

In any case, it was never a hotbed of helicopter activity.
MightyGem is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2019, 21:30
  #91 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 12,226
MG, I understand that these days the county is supported by an NPAS helicopter based as far away as Leicestershire.
ShyTorque is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2019, 06:39
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 111
Norfolk did have its own ASU but it was never full time, operating just day shifts and not every day. It was a Sterling Helicopters Squirrel. Outside those times Suffolk was the first port of call. The Norfolk ASU did take part in a couple of trials of borderless air support in the eastern counties which, unfortunately, contributed to the creation of NPAS. Four counties in the east plus Kent acting as the control room, tried out all of the plans for NPAS, found that, as expected, they didn't work at all and then watched open-mouthed as NPAS started to implement everything that didn't work in the trials.
MaxR is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2019, 20:18
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 3,363
Originally Posted by ShyTorque View Post
MG, I understand that these days the county is supported by an NPAS helicopter based as far away as Leicestershire.
Further away than that at times, I would think. My ex colleagues are on a Cooks tour sometimes.
MightyGem is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2019, 10:13
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bristol
Posts: 357
Consider this! In 2008 the UK had one of the best Police Air support systems in the World. From memory 33 Helicopters operating from 27 bases provided excellent and efficient coverage over most of the UK. Despite the machines themselves being owned and operated by independent Forces or consortiums of forces, we all recognised the importance of mutual support because inevitably due to planned or unplanned maintenance we would have down time, so our neighbours would provide cover, in the knowledge we would do the same when they were down. It worked!
The development of equipment was continuously improving and training for both Pilots and crew members was good.

Then along came NPAS, reduced the fleet and bases by over 50% and tried to convince everyone that it would be better! It could never have been better or even as good given the greater distances that all the aircraft had to fly. The Concept of a National Police Air Wing was a good one. But it needed to be managed Regionally and as a way of improving coverage and efficiency by way of standardisation of training and purchases in bulk etc. NEVER solely as a way of saving money, and to hell with beating crime and providing cover to hard working coppers on the ground.

NPAS never did understand what POLICE Air support was all about. That is why it has been an abject failure!

TF
tigerfish is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2019, 11:58
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: EGDC
Posts: 7,417
PAS was designed to a standard (to provide a specific level of service), NPAS has re-engineered that service down to a price and it doesn't work - much like the NHS.

It's the same as building a car either up to a standard or down to a price - they are both cars but one will be reliable and the other won't - false economy but driven by a broke Govt trying to balance the books.
crab@SAAvn.co.uk is online now  
Old 29th Jul 2019, 21:40
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Anglia
Posts: 1,873
Thank you (almost) for your responses in recognition of Norfolk traditions.
Yes, Sterling and Three counties took care of East Angular for some time and we’d often see the Met Police (145s) up here too.
But its easily more than a year without manned top cover - and the locals are rapidly developing the need for UAVs which have proven to find MisPers already. NPAS may have found the long term answer to their budget problems....:-(
Rigga is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2019, 06:14
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by tigerfish View Post
Consider this! In 2008 the UK had one of the best Police Air support systems in the World. From memory 33 Helicopters operating from 27 bases provided excellent and efficient coverage over most of the UK. Despite the machines themselves being owned and operated by independent Forces or consortiums of forces, we all recognised the importance of mutual support because inevitably due to planned or unplanned maintenance we would have down time, so our neighbours would provide cover, in the knowledge we would do the same when they were down. It worked!
The development of equipment was continuously improving and training for both Pilots and crew members was good.

Then along came NPAS, reduced the fleet and bases by over 50% and tried to convince everyone that it would be better! It could never have been better or even as good given the greater distances that all the aircraft had to fly. The Concept of a National Police Air Wing was a good one. But it needed to be managed Regionally and as a way of improving coverage and efficiency by way of standardisation of training and purchases in bulk etc. NEVER solely as a way of saving money, and to hell with beating crime and providing cover to hard working coppers on the ground.

NPAS never did understand what POLICE Air support was all about. That is why it has been an abject failure!

TF
I have nothing to add to what TF said, it's just that it was such an accurate summary of what happened it deserved to be said twice. I had the pleasure of meeting TF when police air support was at its height and was saddened by his downfall for speaking the truth.
MaxR is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2019, 19:12
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doncaster
Age: 64
Posts: 72
NPAS P68 cockpits

Haven't seen much about the NPAS observers view from the inside of the new P68 planes? There is a photo of the 4 NPAS planes sat in the hangar on PAN.

The cockpit view of a P68 Observer a/c looks different and has better visibility than the Islanders. Are they planning to use the P68 on grass runways around the country?
Any photo's of where the TFO's will be stationed in the back?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...IS_7_-_010.jpg
Cabby is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2019, 19:33
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 111
Have they chosen the variant with the good visibility.
MaxR is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2019, 20:39
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Down south
Posts: 632
I think the answer is no, having seen OE-FAC which is now G-POLW!
bingofuel is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.