PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) (https://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies-14/)
-   -   ATPL MET course (https://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/622087-atpl-met-course.html)

brocken_spectre 1st Jun 2019 15:52

ATPL MET course
 
I've just finished MET on my full-time ATPL course and I feel nowhere near ready for the exam, mainly due to the ground instructor going through the syllabus at a rate of knots with the assumption we already had a good understanding of the subject above PPL level.

Does anyone know of a provider in the UK that has short courses on MET or a good instructor?

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

2unlimited 1st Jun 2019 16:45


Originally Posted by brocken_spectre (Post 10484230)
I've just finished MET on my full-time ATPL course and I feel nowhere near ready for the exam, mainly due to the ground instructor going through the syllabus at a rate of knots with the assumption we already had a good understanding of the subject above PPL level.

Does anyone know of a provider in the UK that has short courses on MET or a good instructor?

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Hammer the question bank 4 -5 times, and you will be fine.

r10bbr 1st Jun 2019 17:42

google /facebook search Cat3c , should be able to assist you in your help!!

Banana Joe 1st Jun 2019 18:07

On YouTube you can find the OAA's CBT which for meteorology is superb. It helped me a lot back in the days.

ersa 2nd Jun 2019 00:21

Don't worry about the instructors, just smash the banks over and over

youngretired 2nd Jun 2019 06:12

I've failed on met two times in Poland. I wasn't actually ready for the first time but I didn't aware of it. It was the second session right after the first successfull air law/ops/comms so I thought the rest would be easy just like the first one. I remember the frustration when I saw the questions and I had no idea what they're asking about.

The second fail I was just trying my luck. It was fifth session in total and only Met was left to take and I took the exam even tough I wasn't prepared for it. Failed with 66.

My last session and last subject was met after all and I studied for one and half month. I can't describe the anxiety before and during the exam. It was even hard to take breath. I made 100% of the QB questions. There was 4 new questions and I did them all wrong :)

What I did for the study was just hitting AvEx so hard. I mean really really hard because before the exam I was not reading the questions but only the answers and getting 95+ scores when I was testing with AvEx.

Obviously these are not my suggestions to anyone having hard time with met. Only my bad and fearful experience.

brocken_spectre 3rd Jun 2019 11:05


Originally Posted by 2unlimited (Post 10484261)
Hammer the question bank 4 -5 times, and you will be fine.

See I thought that, but after coming out of GNAV with a 49% fail after I was averaging 90% in all question banks, it makes me wonder how much you should rely on them now?

The experience has certainly made me nervous about future exams!

brocken_spectre 3rd Jun 2019 11:06


Originally Posted by Banana Joe (Post 10484294)
On YouTube you can find the OAA's CBT which for meteorology is superb. It helped me a lot back in the days.

Thanks - I'll check them out!

brocken_spectre 3rd Jun 2019 11:09


Originally Posted by youngretired (Post 10484541)
I've failed on met two times in Poland. I wasn't actually ready for the first time but I didn't aware of it. It was the second session right after the first successfull air law/ops/comms so I thought the rest would be easy just like the first one. I remember the frustration when I saw the questions and I had no idea what they're asking about.

The second fail I was just trying my luck. It was fifth session in total and only Met was left to take and I took the exam even tough I wasn't prepared for it. Failed with 66.

My last session and last subject was met after all and I studied for one and half month. I can't describe the anxiety before and during the exam. It was even hard to take breath. I made 100% of the QB questions. There was 4 new questions and I did them all wrong :)

What I did for the study was just hitting AvEx so hard. I mean really really hard because before the exam I was not reading the questions but only the answers and getting 95+ scores when I was testing with AvEx.

Obviously these are not my suggestions to anyone having hard time with met. Only my bad and fearful experience.

Last session :hmm: that's some intense stress! Did you pass it in the end?

KT1988 3rd Jun 2019 16:30

@youngretired: Going for exam without doing all questionbanks to 100 % then you got to not fear failing. But my question is about the Performance exam since you did it in Poland. Did you factorize the answers for LDR or only factorized when it was written that it is a commercial SEP flight. Because question bank recommend factorizing most LDR (not all actually.....) but in the comments they say only factorize when its clearly written its a commercial SEP flight.....

As for the exams without graphs or calculation I can really not find them hard. Just understand the stuff from bristol groundschool online and do all the question banks. The only exam that had more than 25 % unknown questions was Operational Procedures for me but it still was not hard to pass.

youngretired 8th Jun 2019 14:56


Originally Posted by brocken_spectre (Post 10485377)
Last session :hmm: that's some intense stress! Did you pass it in the end?

Of course I did. I made 100% of all questions came from avex and there was 4 new questions and failed 4 of them :) Took 93 or something close.

youngretired 8th Jun 2019 15:03


Originally Posted by KT1988 (Post 10485586)
@youngretired: Going for exam without doing all questionbanks to 100 % then you got to not fear failing. But my question is about the Performance exam since you did it in Poland. Did you factorize the answers for LDR or only factorized when it was written that it is a commercial SEP flight. Because question bank recommend factorizing most LDR (not all actually.....) but in the comments they say only factorize when its clearly written its a commercial SEP flight.....

As for the exams without graphs or calculation I can really not find them hard. Just understand the stuff from bristol groundschool online and do all the question banks. The only exam that had more than 25 % unknown questions was Operational Procedures for me but it still was not hard to pass.

I don't really remember if I factorised or there was a question needed to be factorised.
But in my opinion it doesn't matter.

If you guys download the CAPs and study each question on paper with nice pen and ruler at least three times, you don't need to worry about those graphs.

People usually fail not because they don't know about factorising, but because of lack of time to solve all questions, especially when there are more than 7-8 graph questions.

So just focus on speed for the graphs and try to make 100% of theoretical/memorable questions.

KT1988 8th Jun 2019 15:21

@youngretired: Thanks for the reply, I learned to do the graphs approximately correct with the mouse on screen because if I draw unlucky amount of graphs it will be impossible to wait for printing and do it properly with pencil and finish the exam on time. So plan is to do the whole exam then if time is left ask for print outs for the graphs that got close answers and do them with pencil to be sure.

parkfell 8th Jun 2019 16:10

Isn't the answer with METEOROLOGY to understand it? We are not talking about "black hole" theory; but it does require basic success at school (UK) O/GCSE/National 5 prior to A/Highers.

The 'theory' part is applied physics. Boyle's law: Chales' law. The relationship between pressure, temperature, & density.

The climateology. Don't learn it like a history book (apart from monsoon dates) but understand the seasonal variations with the movement of the sun. Then "join up the edges" of the regions. There is a logic to it. Get your head around that and the learning flows.
The practical stuff, TAFs METARS etc also have a certain logic to it.

Don't think about QBs until you have learnt it. Learn the logic and life becomes sooooo much easier.

youngretired 8th Jun 2019 19:05


Originally Posted by KT1988 (Post 10489290)
@youngretired: Thanks for the reply, I learned to do the graphs approximately correct with the mouse on screen because if I draw unlucky amount of graphs it will be impossible to wait for printing and do it properly with pencil and finish the exam on time. So plan is to do the whole exam then if time is left ask for print outs for the graphs that got close answers and do them with pencil to be sure.

What I do for the prints is something like this;
  1. Enter the exam room and take the prints request form immediately,
  2. After the exam starts, scan the questions quickly and fill the form (max. 1-2 minutes)
  3. Deliver the form to the room and return to computer (so fast, everybody will look at you :) )
  4. Start the exam and skip those questions until the lady delivers the print outs.
Many of my friends asked me how I do this process and they were happy after they tried this way. One of them has failed on his first try just because he didn't realize when and how to request the prints and it was too late when he find out he was missing prints and impossible to solve all those questions at last 10 minutes. Also precision is important and their print outs are not on scale is another negative fact about performance exams. Lines are thicker and blurry so it was hard to draw nicely.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.