Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.


Old 3rd Sep 2020, 21:40
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Salt Lake City
Age: 28
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FAA CPL to EASA


I have tried to find the answers however haven't been able to find a streamlined process of what I may be looking at...
I am currently a commercial pilot in the United States flying a Lear 60 with an SIC license.
Looking to convert to an EASA license to potentially fly in Italy or somewhere around there.
Should I wait until I reach 1500 TT for my FAA ATPL and then convert? These below are my current stats
I do also have a Brazilian ICAO license which I can get recurrent on.

Thanks in advance,

TT 654
ASEL 372
AMEL 282
Turbine 253
Night 111
IMC 46
Rafael Lupo is offline  
Old 4th Sep 2020, 10:21
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hotel this week, hotel next week, home whenever...
Posts: 1,492
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly better to wait until you have the ATPL though there is no real benefit...

IF you have an ICAO ATPL and a valid TR then you can simply write the 14 ATPL theory exams then do a check-ride on type for the conversion.

If you don’t meet those criteria then you have to do the 650hours study requirement and write the exams. Once completed you can then do the CPL conversion in any aircraft that meets the requirements for CPL issue - the CPL course is 25 hours and you’d be exempt from some of that - exactly how much depends upon when you do it and which National authority you work through.

Typically max credit would be 18 hours leaving 7 to get familiar with type/airspace/local regs etc.
Duchess_Driver is offline  
Old 4th Sep 2020, 14:26
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,831
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The answer is yes. But I'd look into the process: EASA might not recognise an SIC type rating. If you have the ATP with 500 hours on type and a PIC type rating you just need to take the exams and do an LST in a SIM. You'll get a full EASA ATPL and type rating. If you don't meet those requirements then as mentioned above it'll be a lot harder and a lot more expensive. You'll need to do a full ground school course, then the exams, then at least 20+ hours flight training, 2 flight tests and you'll still only have a CPL/IR. You'd then need to do a full type rating course and LST to get the type rating (or wait until you have 500 hours on type to skip the course)
rudestuff is offline  
Old 4th Sep 2020, 17:05
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Salt Lake City
Age: 28
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the best option now is to wait then until I have a PIC rating here, thank you for your feedback!
Rafael Lupo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.