Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Brexit and Licensing - 2 Licences?

Old 9th Oct 2018, 16:01
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 14
Question Brexit and Licensing - 2 Licences?

Hello all,

Really am not sure if this is in the right area but it's the area that I'm at and why this concerns me.

The CAA have published CAP1714. I am starting ATPLs with Bristol GS in the next few weeks and their advice is to transfer your licence to another EASA state member - which I agree with and am likely to do. But, I currently have an EASA UK PPL and about to have an IR(R) added. In the CAP1714 document it states: "Pilots with UK licences who want to fly EU-registered aircraft post Brexit would need to transfer their licence to another EASA member state before Brexit, or seek a second licence from an EASA member state."

So, the best option for me would be to apply for a second licence as the text suggests, therefore I can continue to fly in the UK, make use of my IR(R) and I will be able to conduct my training and search for a job in an EASA state after Brexit if an agreement isn't made.

My question is, how do you apply for a second licence from another EASA state? I can't find any information on it and dubious if it's actually possible.

Last edited by para_trooper; 9th Oct 2018 at 16:09. Reason: Add link
para_trooper is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2018, 21:17
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 60
Posts: 1,465
You need to identify which State you wish to be the State Of Licence Issue (SOLI) and start the process from that end. They then ask the UK CAA for your records. It doesn't apply in your case but others may wish to note you have to have an EASA licence to do this, if you had a UK only licence then step 1 would be to get the UK CAA to magic it into an EASA licence.

I don't know how you could get a second EASA licence from another State. My understanding is that all EASA licence records are held at the SOLI. I don't see how you could have, for instance, two EASA ATPLs. Looks to me that the last phrase of the CAA advice may not be fully thought through, but who knows, its all new territory?
Alex Whittingham is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 12:24
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 139
I too am puzzled by the last phrase.

From FCL.015(c): A person shall not at any time hold more than one licence per category of aircraft issued in accordance with [Part-FCL]
Mustapha Cuppa is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 16:36
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,379
I don't know how you could get a second EASA licence from another State.
It doesn't say a second EASA licence, Alex. The sentence refers to pilots with UK licences which, following a 'no-deal' Brexit, will not be EASA licences. It's no different from an FAA licence holder getting an EASA licence.
BillieBob is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2018, 18:04
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 60
Posts: 1,465
of course!
Alex Whittingham is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.