Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Class Medical 1.. Failed. Now what?

Old 19th Mar 2018, 20:36
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Class Medical 1.. Failed. Now what?

Hi!
It just happened that I’m finding myself in the situation I was never expect I would end up.
Half way down my ATPL Friday I went for my Initial class medical 1, just to find out that one of my eyes if drifting way over the EASA limits.
I agree with whoever thinks I was stupid in not doing my class medical before the ATPL, unfortunately I realise it only now;
I find myself broken, my dream apart now that I was, somehow, after years, able to see the dream of a childhood, getting closer.
Does any of you went through this?
Is any way you can turn around a FAIL in the class 1? I attended my visit in the UK CAA.
I believe the standards are the same for any EASA country can any confirm this?
I really don’t know what to do, I find myself pretty lost.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS POST, YOU PLAN TO GO COMMERCIAL AND YOU HAVENT DONE YOUR MEDICAL, DO IT!!
I’LL ENSURE YOU YOU AVOID LOTS OF DISAPPOINTMENT.

Last edited by LightShade; 19th Mar 2018 at 20:56.
LightShade is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 21:38
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: six micro tesla zone
Age: 28
Posts: 397
I would have thought your AME would have given you advice on what to do next?
MaverickPrime is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 22:27
  #3 (permalink)  

PPRuNe Handmaiden
 
Join Date: Feb 1997
Location: Duit On Mon Dei
Posts: 4,279
Find out if your eye sight fits into the "renewal" limits. Then an option is to go to another country, get your medical/licence there and see if you can convert it.
Now, there's a couple of issues. Can you get a medical in that country and can you work there, even if for a limited time.
I'd investigate the FAA for starters.
Otherwise, you could try ATC and fly privately.
redsnail is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 23:04
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SE England
Posts: 563
I’ll echo Redsnail - renewal is normally far less onerous than initial.

ATC on a class 3 medical, while not flying, is still a rather rewarding job and offers some lifestyle advantages and you can still probably afford the time/money to fly for fun.
Dan Dare is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 23:09
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: chester
Posts: 60
aren't the easa limits there for a reason?
artschool is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 23:56
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 29
What’s the specific issue ? The guidelines I’ve seen state you could still pass subject to a specialist examination for certain conditions. Short sightedness outside the limits being one such condition.
Basil Fawlty1 is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:24
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by redsnail View Post
Find out if your eye sight fits into the "renewal" limits. Then an option is to go to another country, get your medical/licence there and see if you can convert it.
Now, there's a couple of issues. Can you get a medical in that country and can you work there, even if for a limited time.
I'd investigate the FAA for starters.
Otherwise, you could try ATC and fly privately.
How could I obtain a renewal if I canít get the initial?
I mean my guess is that all over Europe the medical standards are set by EASA no? That means I wonít be able to get the medical done anywhere in EU.
I know that ATC is rewarding and so, but it wasnít what I was planning for, itís not easy to abandon the idea and move on..
LightShade is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:26
  #8 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Basil Fawlty1 View Post
Whatís the specific issue ? The guidelines Iíve seen state you could still pass subject to a specialist examination for certain conditions. Short sightedness outside the limits being one such condition.
Seems that my right eye drift is out of the parameters, no idea what it means, but itís something related with lazy eye.
I went for eye test in November and nothing was noted, Friday I got this surprise
LightShade is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2018, 17:12
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 396
As already mentioned earlier you could consider getting an FAA (US) Medical - there are FAA licensed aviation medical examiners (AMEs) here in Europe. But it doesn't really help you regarding the EASA regulations/requirements.

If I'd be you I'd go and talk to a (nearby) EASA Doc and see what he says. It's always good to get a second opinion! I know that the head physician of an AMC (Aero Medical Center) can grant a medical based on a single case decision.

Seems that my right eye drift is out of the parameters, no idea what it means,...
If I'm not mistaken, you're crossed eyed, also called "to squint"?! Which basically means that you are probably lacking depth perception (no 3D vision). But as long as you don't have any issues with seeing double images (occasionally) it should be possible to obtain an EASA medical based on a single case decision.

I was told that there is a very good specialist regarding vision questions in the Netherlands at the Breda International Airport AMC. Here's the link.

https://www.aecmedicals.nl/contact

Good luck!

Last edited by Transsonic2000; 20th Mar 2018 at 17:23.
Transsonic2000 is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2018, 18:34
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 50
Posts: 792
The UK CAA is anal....

Back in '99 I failed the eyesight (-3.5 dioptres+slight astigmatism but don't quote me) for a Class 1, but a kindly old FAA AME in London (must have been well into his eighties!) passed me on a FAA medical no problem... and no scans/tests... just a quick exam.

CAA is still back in the 1950's (just like BALPA).
flash8 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:15
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by LightShade View Post
Hi!
It just happened that Iím finding myself in the situation I was never expect I would end up.
Half way down my ATPL Friday I went for my Initial class medical 1, just to find out that one of my eyes if drifting way over the EASA limits.
I agree with whoever thinks I was stupid in not doing my class medical before the ATPL, unfortunately I realise it only now;
I find myself broken, my dream apart now that I was, somehow, after years, able to see the dream of a childhood, getting closer.
Does any of you went through this?
Is any way you can turn around a FAIL in the class 1? I attended my visit in the UK CAA.
I believe the standards are the same for any EASA country can any confirm this?
I really donít know what to do, I find myself pretty lost.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS POST, YOU PLAN TO GO COMMERCIAL AND YOU HAVENT DONE YOUR MEDICAL, DO IT!!
IíLL ENSURE YOU YOU AVOID LOTS OF DISAPPOINTMENT.
My sympathy regarding your plight, but the very first thing you would do before embarking on any commercial airline training scheme is to get your Class 1 first. Most of the commercial schools and BALPA stress this point very forcibly.
PA28161 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:38
  #12 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 953
So you did your Groundschool at a UK ATO, and yet you opted to write the exams in Poland, having tried the Greek route?

A modular student ? If so, you required to be a holder of a PPL prior to ATPL studies and therefore held a Class Two medical?

Did the issuing AME not mention that your eyesight might be an issue?
I assume that you talked to the doctor about your aspirations to be a professional pilot?

I am trying to join up the dots but without success.......

Get your GP to refer you to a Consultant preferably who has had dealings with the CAA.
parkfell is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:50
  #13 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Transsonic2000 View Post
If I'd be you I'd go and talk to a (nearby) EASA Doc and see what he says. It's always good to get a second opinion! I know that the head physician of an AMC (Aero Medical Center) can grant a medical based on a single case decision.

If I'm not mistaken, you're crossed eyed, also called "to squint"?! Which basically means that you are probably lacking depth perception (no 3D vision). But as long as you don't have any issues with seeing double images (occasionally) it should be possible to obtain an EASA medical based on a single case decision.

I was told that there is a very good specialist regarding vision questions in the Netherlands at the Breda International Airport AMC. Here's the link

Good luck!
My condition seems to be called Ablyopia, which again even thought I tested my eyes 6 months ago, wasnít reveal. I have now set an appointment with a specialist of the eye, trying to figure it out if is anything I can do to correct it.
Thanks for the link Transsonic, Iíll definitely get in touch with them

Best,
Marco
LightShade is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:51
  #14 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by flash8 View Post
The UK CAA is anal....

Back in '99 I failed the eyesight (-3.5 dioptres+slight astigmatism but don't quote me) for a Class 1, but a kindly old FAA AME in London (must have been well into his eighties!) passed me on a FAA medical no problem... and no scans/tests... just a quick exam.

CAA is still back in the 1950's (just like BALPA).
Did you end up, somehow, with a EASA license after that?
LightShade is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:54
  #15 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by parkfell View Post
Did the issuing AME not mention that your eyesight might be an issue?
I assume that you talked to the doctor about your aspirations to be a professional pilot?
Correct, my is a UK PPL, I gave my atpl exams in Poland.
My class medical 2 didnít reveal the condition.
My November eye test with an optician didn't reveal any abnormalities either.
LightShade is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:14
  #16 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 953
Did the Optican complete the standard CAA eyesight form in November?
parkfell is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:17
  #17 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Uk
Posts: 13
No, it was a simple routine check
LightShade is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2018, 23:16
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 50
Posts: 792
Did you end up, somehow, with a EASA license after that?
No, Transport Canada and FAA, served me well enough... abandoned the BCPL plan at the time though kinda pissed me off...

The (Initial) Medical was archaic, nothing like the FAA medical.

Had to laugh.. the FAA AME asked me "if everything was alright down there" (to which I replied in the affirmative) as I am sure he didn't want to look....

Now that is the kind of Medical I like!
flash8 is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 17:24
  #19 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 953
Somewhat mystified that the high street Optican did not find your condition ?

You need to ask the firm why not......!!
parkfell is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 22:13
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bristol
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by LightShade View Post
Hi!
It just happened that Iím finding myself in the situation I was never expect I would end up.
Half way down my ATPL Friday I went for my Initial class medical 1, just to find out that one of my eyes if drifting way over the EASA limits.
I agree with whoever thinks I was stupid in not doing my class medical before the ATPL, unfortunately I realise it only now;
I find myself broken, my dream apart now that I was, somehow, after years, able to see the dream of a childhood, getting closer.
Does any of you went through this?
Is any way you can turn around a FAIL in the class 1? I attended my visit in the UK CAA.
I believe the standards are the same for any EASA country can any confirm this?
I really donít know what to do, I find myself pretty lost.

IF YOU ARE READING THIS POST, YOU PLAN TO GO COMMERCIAL AND YOU HAVENT DONE YOUR MEDICAL, DO IT!!
IíLL ENSURE YOU YOU AVOID LOTS OF DISAPPOINTMENT.
Hi Lightshade,

If you're still looking for advice, I suggest you contact an FAA AME in the UK and get a Class One valid for student purposes (You'll need to fill in MedEx online). Then contact the FAA who will arrange a medical flight test (MFT) based on the information you provide. You'll choose the state in which to do the MFT and will need to convert your EASA PPL prior to travel via a designated pilot examiner (DPE), a list will be provided by the FAA. Find a club/school with aircraft you are familiar with and make sure you are current. The MFT may last an hour and all they want to see if that you are safe to fly. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any further questions.
Eyetriguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.