Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Business Savvy Trainee Pilots... Integrated Course Cost and VAT!

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Business Savvy Trainee Pilots... Integrated Course Cost and VAT!

Old 29th May 2008, 12:25
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: S.A.E
Posts: 42
Business Savvy Trainee Pilots... Integrated Course Cost and VAT!

Hey guys, a bit of a shot in the dark but keen to hear peoples thoughts on this!

Integrated course fee- 70k inc VAT approx
Chance of FO job after- Low
Cost of FI- Few grand (unsure)
Instructors salary- 16k (not much!)

Idea- Register yourself as 'self employed' e.g. 350Z Flight Instruction or something, freelance as a flight instructor and become VAT Registered (not sure if this line of work permits) then claim back all of the VAT on the training costs!? Could also offset the cost against tax as an expense.

Is this idea stupid? lol, probably but keen to here thoughts! Why the hell is VAT charged on gaining an ATPL anyways!

350Z is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 12:52
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Posts: 455
Another old chestnut. And one that refuses to be cracked. A nice idea, but I think the tax man has all the angles covered.

Admittedly, I am no tax genius (no bad thing!), but I remember having this coversation many times and it can't be done.

I'll leave the floor open to a tax accountant to confirm.....

EK4457 is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 12:59
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 1,164
Commercial flight training is not tax exempt. The tax man closed that loophole a long time ago. Sorry to be the barer of bad news
MIKECR is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 16:24
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK, Paris, Peckham, New York
Posts: 29
could be wrong but dont you have to be turning over 60k year or more to be vat regestered? never gonna get that being an FI!!
UAV689 is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 16:40
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK.
Posts: 629
No, if you have a turnover of 60K and above you NEED to register for VAT, however you can register voluntarily if you wish at an earlier stage.
preduk is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 18:08
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Im All Over The Shop
Age: 39
Posts: 19
I am self employed, and am registered with HMRC under my name and not a business name.

When contacting them for an enquiry about changing my business I was told I wouldnt need to because as the VAT registration was in my name I could just claim any VAT paid in my name as normal. I for just about anything I get charged VAT on, provided I can say it is in someway connected to my job as a courier..

You CHARGE Vat on services rendered, ie as im a courier, a delivery job ive done, and I CLAIM Vat back on services that I have used, ie someone invoicing me, the difference goes to her majesty's coffers - I dont really see how flight costs would fit in here

I would try contacting HMRC for clarification but I think unless you have a business or are self employed with a trade (not just self employed because you can etc), I think you would fall at the first hurdle of registration!


juststartin is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 20:33
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: S.A.E
Posts: 42
Hmm interesting stuff- I may pursue further as 17.5% discount is a hell of a chunk! lol

Ta for the input people
350Z is offline  
Old 29th May 2008, 20:40
  #8 (permalink)  

Hovering AND talking
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Age: 55
Posts: 5,711
But if you become an employee with an airline after getting your CPL, you would have to pay the VAT back.

I can be done but you have to be genuinely self-employed. Go and see a firm of accountants.


Whirlygig is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.