Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

CAA PPL & seeking further training in US

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

CAA PPL & seeking further training in US

Old 8th Jun 2021, 07:04
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4
CAA PPL & seeking further training in US

Hi All,

About 2 years ago, I got my PPL during one of many trips back to the UK from China. I was able to enjoy it for a while after I went back again in October 2019, but since COVID hit, I was stuck in China as I had no way back into the country if I left. So I've been grounded until very recently, when I moved to Singapore. I did actually join a flying club in Singapore, but there are a few issues:

- You can't fly either Sing or N registered aircraft with a CAA license, so I started out as a PUT again, which was fine as I was out of practice, had not flown many hours on a C 172 and didn't know the area. As you can imagine, Singapore airspace is extremely tiny and not a lot of fun for private flying. It's also very expensive, per hour rate is higher than the UK and landing fees ever for touch and go's are kind of ridiculous. However it did allow me to return to a decent degree of currency again with a good instructor.
- I got a piggy back FAA license off my UK license, which allows me to fly N-reg aircraft here.
- Unfortunately, my SEP rating is about to expire and I have no way of renewing it in Singapore and my FAA license depends on the currency of the CAA license.

I can now either:

- Fly back to the UK in a hurry after doing my 12 hours (6 hours as PIC) in Singapore just to do a 1 hour revalidation flight with a UK instructor and quaratntine for 3 weeks after coming back. I would have to go there out of pocket as I have no viable business reasons to go there.
- Let my rating expire and redo the skills test at a more convenient time in the UK; the last one was ok, but it was pretty tiring after 3 hours, if I understand correctly, restoring an expired rating with an examiner is less intense?
- Go to the US and do a check ride with an examiner there to get a separate FAA license. I would actually hope to start working on some more complex aircraft flying/IR stuff while getting to know the area with an instructor. Also, my company is from the US, so I actually have good business reasons to go there too.

I am leaning towards the last option, but advice would be welcome. I figure a good school could help me further my skills while prepearing for a check ride and I figure I need to be good enough to pass a skills test to be safe anyway.

I have no intention of becoming a professional pilot, but I would like to get a ME/IR rating just for private flying eventually.

However, having never flown in the US, I'd like to ask for some advice:

- Are there good resources you know of for looking at what flight schools are really good and which ones are not?
- Having a choice of anywhere to fly in the US, what seems like a good idea? My company is in Georgia, so either there around Atlanta or pretty much anywhere in Florida seems like a good idea. Or maybe even Tenessee or Alabama? But I could go further afield if it makes sense. Please share your thoughts.

Esvees is offline  
Old 9th Jun 2021, 08:07
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 582
... SEP rating is about to expire and I have no way of renewing it in Singapore and my FAA license depends on the currency of the CAA license.
I'm not sure that's true. The restricted US pilot certificate is kept valid by complying with the US regulations, under which class ratings do not expire, rather than those governing the base licence. This position was clarified by the Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations in an interpretation given on 22 Mar 2012 to Andrew Krausz:

Further complicating your inquiry is a notice issued by the Aviation
Accident Investigations Board (AAIB) in August 2008, which quotes the
14 C.F.R. 61.75(e)(3) which states the US certificate, "Is subject to
the limitations and restrictions on the person's US certificate and
foreign pilot license when exercising the privilege of that US pilot
certificate in an aircraft of US registry operating within or outside
the United States." The AAIB draws the conclusion from this provision
that any and all limitations and restrictions that a pilot would be
subject to under his foreign pilot certificate are incorporated in his
US certificate, and apply equally under his US certificate. This
conclusion is mistaken.

While 14 C.F.R. 61.75 does incorporate the limitations and restriction
"on the person's US certificate and foreign pilot license," (emphasis
added) that language refers to the scope of the authority reflected by
the certificate itself. In other words, the pilot is subject to the
restrictions and limitations that appear on the face of the US
certificate or foreign pilot license. The language does not include
the entirety of regulatory requirements of the foreign State since the
holder of the 61.75 certificate is bound by the US regulatory
requirements to exercise the privileges of the US certificate. The FAA
views that language as addressing the limitations of the sort FAA
uses, e.g., "not valid for night operation," where the individual has
not completed the night training requirements.

Having a choice of anywhere to fly in the US, what seems like a good idea?
The proficiency check done to renew an expired UK/EASA class rating will be less onerous than the initial skill test for licence and class rating issue. There are UK/EASA examiners in California (San Diego), Arizona (Phoenix), and Florida (Naples, Melbourne, Sebastian, Jacksonville, Fort Pierce, St Augustine, etc). Among these the best climate at this time of the year is in San Diego (Weatherspark comparison here).

Otherwise, US training need only be pursued at a Part 141 FAA-approved flight school if entering the US under a student visa. Note that training which leads to a certificate or rating cannot be done under a B-class visa. If you have the the option of receiving training from freelance instructors then you might consult the Society of American Flight Educators (SAFE) directory of instructors at https://www.safepilots.org/member-pr...safe-educator/ An alternative directory which includes instructors who are National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI) members is at https://www.iflightplanner.com/FlightInstructors/ If you intend to carry on with non-commercial flying during business trips to Georgia then consider doing the training there.

Unless you are a US national a TSA security threat assessment must be completed before receiving any flight training towards a US instrument or multiengine rating or initial standard US pilot certificate. Expect the assessment(s) to take anywhere from one to three weeks.
selfin is offline  
Old 9th Jun 2021, 08:19
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Uxbridge
Posts: 789
And, to get a stand alone FAA private, there will be training as required before the flight test which includes some things you may never have done. Also, unless there's been a change since I did it, you'll need to pass the written
MrAverage is offline  
Old 9th Jun 2021, 10:09
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 13,913
Thoughts (I have UK and US independent licences, plus a 61.75, so have been around this a bit myself).

- US standards and syllabi are different to UK (they care a lot more about handling, and a bit less about navigation - also the written exam is much easier, but the oral exam much tougher), and you will need some training and bookwork to get a standalone US licence. I rate highly Rod Machado's online learning material for this. Those you can do at home.

- Pretty certain you'll need an M1 (training) visa. Certainly for my recent CPL/IR in Florida, my existing B1/B2 was inadequate.

- There are a fair number of schools in the US who specialise in sorting the visas out and providing training to foreigners. I know a good one I'd use again in Florida, but many others exist.

- A good working rule is to ask detailed questions by email or phone of the school. If the response is "yea, whatever" or "here is our standard package", I should be concerned about their professionalism. A school that challenges your assumptions, includes "well it'll depend upon how well you fly" and so-on, is probably an honest one to be trusted.

Another option may be to see if any UK instructors or examiners are flying through your locality for the airlines and you could do your renewal with them near home?

Genghis the Engineer is online now  
Old 9th Jun 2021, 15:46
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by selfin View Post
I'm not sure that's true. The restricted US pilot certificate is kept valid by complying with the US regulations, under which class ratings do not expire, rather than those governing the base licence.

selfin is correct: your 61.75 certificate is still good, as long as:
  1. Your UK license number has not changed, and is exactly the same as on the FAA cert.
  2. You have a current Flight Review
  3. You have a current medical (UK, EASA(?), or FAA).
If you go to the US, you should be able to find a dual US/UK Instructor. They can sign you off for your Flight Review and FCL.945 flight, then you can enjoy the rest of the 12 hours!

Good luck.

Last edited by awair; 10th Jun 2021 at 07:26.
awair is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.