Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Moving an aircraft from 2- Reg to G- Reg

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Moving an aircraft from 2- Reg to G- Reg

Old 8th Feb 2020, 21:24
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: London
Posts: 11
Moving an aircraft from 2- Reg to G- Reg

A couple of questions to the experts here:

1. how easy is it to move a plane from the Channel Islands Register to the UK ?
2. The plane in question was imported from the US to the Channel Islands and I gather no VAT has been paid in the Channel Islands, so what’s the procedure - keep it on the 2- Reg even if flying to Europe and not pay the VAT ?
3. Are there any disadvantages of leaving the plane as a 2 - Reg plane and keeping it mainly in the UK ? ( I note that Alan Sugar for example does this )

Sorry for the laundry list of questions !

Charlesschrager is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2020, 19:37
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Livin de island life
Posts: 472
If you don't pay the VAT in the UK the aircraft is not in "free circulation" and liable to be stopped and checked/searched all over the place. How much travelling do you do?

Keeping it on the 2REG does not actually stop you paying the VAT if :
1. You have the right to register the aircraft - if you are not a CI resident, you may need a local corporation.
2. You intend to operate/keep it inside the EU for any length of time.
Much like plenty of N registered aircraft have paid the VAT and entered into free circulation............
The costs for putting an aircraft on the EASA reg (unless it is permit, of course) are many and varied....how long is that piece of string. It depends on the age, type, level of non-original equipment and how up-to-date the maintenance is. You would also need an export CofA - something I am not familiar with from the CI. Although I don't suppose they are difficult to deal with or nobody would use them.
I wouldn't recommend messing with the French authorities; they tend to turn up mob-handed (big boots and guns) and interrogate anyone on the aircraft, as well as demanding all the documentation. Slightly limiting one's travelling if it's not all in order.
flyingfemme is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 20:47
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: England
Posts: 3
1, Its fairly straightforward to convert from G to 2 Reg but I would let ASG at Guersey deal with it as theyre used to doing it. Also the aircraft has to be inspected by 2 Reg surveyors and its easier, quicker and cheaper if the aircraft is in Guernsey. You will have to create an acceptable maintenance programme. This can either broadly follow FAA rules or EASA with 2-Reg nuances (again ASG have done and pleanty of these and acceptable to 2-Reg. I strongly recommend you follow FAA rules and they are generally not gold plated like EASA and therefore cheaper.

2 If you want the aircraft to be in free circulation in Europe and you are not a resident of Guernsey you will have to pay VAT.

3. Disadvantages - You can elect to fly on FAA or EASA licence but your licence has to be validated by the Bailiwick of Guernsey. Costs about £80 and lasts 2 years. Every maintenance organisation/engineer that works on your plane has to be 2-Reg endorsed, this costs about £120.
Cloudskimmer01 is offline  
Old 11th Feb 2020, 09:56
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Livin de island life
Posts: 472
Other way round CS. The OP wants to go from 2 to G.
flyingfemme is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.