Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)

Old 20th Feb 2017, 09:14
  #3501 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wor Yerm
Age: 63
Posts: 0
A suggestion was made that some women joined the ATA due to connections. That may have been the case, learning to fly was not cheap and was only really affordable to the wealthy few. And then as is now, the wealthy move in their own circles. But what is very clear is that firstly, most of their flights were solo, even in multi-crew aircraft, secondly they did their own planning and nav. was done the traditional way. To survive the war they must have been pretty good pilots.

But I digress. Connections? Is someone going to tell me that TCT got her sponsorship cash with a few emails and phone calls? That there was no behind the scenes action? No help from friends or associates of associates? The net has a nasty habit of remembering everything.

PM
Piltdown Man is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 09:32
  #3502 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 834
The tall chap with the beard is Prince Nikolaos of Greece. He flew with TCT from Gwadar to Karachi. I am not sure if he was in Sydney for the grand arrival but it wouldn't take me long to check.

He was so empowered by TCT that he is now going to have a sex change and taking up flying.


Terry, I am still waiting for the list of lies you say we publishing on here.

Last edited by SATCOS WHIPPING BOY; 20th Feb 2017 at 10:04.
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 09:36
  #3503 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Under the clouds now
Age: 81
Posts: 2,130
Prince Nikolaos of Greece is the holder of a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer. He might be the right chap to have a quiet word in TCT's ear.
brakedwell is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 09:47
  #3504 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lechlade, Glos.UK
Posts: 655
Standing beside her aeroplane? In 2014 (I think that was the year) we were asked to exhibit our lovely Bulldog at RIAT. A certain lady was asked to do the same. She was invited to the posh Gala dinner (we got there by doing really well in the concours). We sat at the same table. We were not impressed. We stood by our aeroplane for all 5 days, but not 24/7 . We never saw her at her aircraft.
sharpend is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:08
  #3505 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dorking
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by Jay Sata View Post
Apart from Donald Crowhurst and the Teighmouth Electron I cannot find another long distance adventurer who has fooled the media to such a great extent.
In 1994 Lisa Clayton claimed to have sailed "Spirit of Birmingham" around the world, and that she was the first British woman to have done so non-stop and singlehanded.

Naomi James had made the same voyage in 1978, but had to stop for repairs and couldn't claim it as non-stop.

It was alleged that Clayton had received spare parts in Cape Town, and she certainly 'stopped' to make repairs, although because she denied receiving the parts she was able to claim that she was unassisted. This meant that, within the rules of the World Sailing Speed Council, she need not declare it as a stop.

That's just splitting hairs compared to the widespread belief that she didn't actually continue the voyage on around the world. We doubters think that she stayed around Africa doing, as Jay Sata puts it, 'a Crowhurst'.

As soon as she finished those of us that had followed the curiously sparse coverage of the trip started to hear and see inconsistencies in her accounts of it. Yachting World gave it the front cover and several pages entitled 'The Amazing Voyage of Lisa Clayton' - those familiar with Crowhurst may have read 'The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst', and the similarity of the titles was no coincidence - they didn't believe that she'd done it, and neither did anyone who knew much about sailing

It wasn't just the inconsistencies in her interviews and the TV documentary that made us sceptical, but she hadn't kept a log, hadn't communicated with anyone other than her shore manager and hadn't been seen by any other vessel.

If the interweb had been remotely like it is now, I doubt that she'd have lasted five minutes - or would she?

Last edited by boguing; 20th Feb 2017 at 10:19. Reason: tpyo
boguing is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:24
  #3506 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Budapest
Posts: 71
"If the interweb had been remotely like it is now, I doubt that she'd have lasted five minutes - or would she?"

Never heard of this person before so read her Wiki entry - rather interesting.
Expatrick is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:30
  #3507 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,733
I see the statements regarding myself and Sam Rutherford have disappeared from her Bird in a Biplane site.
Tracey Curtis Taylor - Aviatrix, Adventurer, Inspirational Speaker

About time.

I have never met Sam.
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 10:46
  #3508 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 69
Posts: 1,359
They were still up on her "Facebook site" a few minutes ago, hopefully to be removed shortly .
Haraka is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 11:02
  #3509 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 11
The ATA also ran its own Ab Initio programme. Many of the girls who joined via that route had no alleged contacts or clout to get them in - they did it by hard work alone.

Also Amy Johnson "less experienced than TCT" really? 4-7 May 1936 - London - Cape Town (an accredited FAI Record) 6,500 miles of SOLO NAV in 3 days.
Grass_Strip_Goat is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 11:09
  #3510 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Do I come here often?
Posts: 867
Originally Posted by sharpend View Post
Standing beside her aeroplane? In 2014 (I think that was the year) we were asked to exhibit our lovely Bulldog at RIAT. A certain lady was asked to do the same. She was invited to the posh Gala dinner (we got there by doing really well in the concours). We sat at the same table. We were not impressed. We stood by our aeroplane for all 5 days, but not 24/7 . We never saw her at her aircraft.
Sharpend;

I was at that dinner too as I was flying in the display. I did see her in other areas, mainly the corporate chalets hanging out with the money men. I never once saw her near her aeroplane or reaching out to any of the thousands of young, impressionable females there.

On the Sunday we were asked to stand by our aircraft and meet the public. I met some fantastic, enthusiastic youngsters of both sexes and all backgrounds, and never saw T C-T once, she certainly wasn't at the hangar party that night (although my attention was most attracted to the samba dancers!) and AFAIK she never used the crew welcome and rest facilities.

SND
Sir Niall Dementia is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 11:58
  #3511 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cambridge
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by airpolice View Post
No sign of Mr. Holloway responding to any of the points that I have raised, although he did find time to make up some pish for other people.

Perhaps my refusal to engage with him via email is behind that. Or perhaps it is the indefensible nature of the lies that are being subject to scrutiny.
Correct! I will respond if I see untrue comments!

Originally Posted by Clare Prop View Post
Wow I never thought would see someone on PPRuNe dismiss the ATA pilots as people who merely had got in because of "connections".
Once again you misinterpret comments.
Check the history of the ATAgirls
terry holloway is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 12:10
  #3512 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Location: Location!
Posts: 1,818
PPRuNe is a rumour network, but if something not strictly true, or a distortion of facts is published often enough, it quickly becomes fact. Fact!!
- TH at Post #3578

This is probably the most telling post of the many that TH has made since his miraculous reincarnation but, unfortunately for him and the TCT camp, the only trouble is that he was using it to defend TCT without seeming to have realised that this is exactly what TCT and her team have done but just will not acknowledge. In summary: pot, kettle, black.
Union Jack is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 12:42
  #3513 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Terry,

You are an educated man of a certain age so I'm sure you will get the analogy if not concede the point.

Just like Hans Christian Anderson’s Emperor, TCT has no clothes. Just like the Emperor, TCT is surrounded by ‘courtiers’ who won't tell her she is naked – although in this case more like a bunch of old duffers whose ‘heads have been turned by a shapely ankle’. And just as in the fairytale it has taken a boy in the crowd (JS) to expose the fraud.

TCT has not the slightest vestige of any aviation expertise or accomplishment that raises her above the common herd except that the common herd don't often manage to charm their way onto 5 star junkets.

No matter how you spin it and no matter how cross you get when people make genuine mistakes, the whole crowd can now see that ‘The Emperor is Wearing no Clothes’.

Happy to recant on production of the ‘wardrobe details’
Dutystude is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 12:47
  #3514 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 704
Mr Holloway,


Please can you call out any untruths that have been written. I am sure you would agree that giving people the opportunity to correct what they have written is only fair. Please give specific cases and let's see what evidence or otherwise is provided.


I dare say that any refusal on your part will only feed those that you seek to silence.
B Fraser is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 13:09
  #3515 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 1,784
Interesting that the statements have disappeared, presumably because:

1. They in themselves are contradictory
2. They in themselves contain untruths

Shame, I was waiting for the 'false assertions' I was alleged to have made. Perhaps, horror, they were not false? Could it be that, in fact, everything I have said was true - at all stages, all along. Certainly looks that way...

Might this be a precursor to a fourth statement? Another 'clarification'?!

Safe flights, Sam.
Sam Rutherford is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 13:10
  #3516 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Age: 53
Posts: 428
ATA

" During the war, 1245 men and women from 25 countries ferried a total of 309,000 aircraft of 147 different types, without radios, with no instrument flying instruction and at the mercy of the British weather. Often they were presented with a type of plane they had never seen before."

Sounds exactly like the kind of flights TCT has done. Or perhaps not.
ExRAFRadar is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 13:12
  #3517 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 834
Back in Nov 2016 I asked Terry if he had "just stumbled on this tread" as he claimed and he quite clearly stated he had and that it was something to do with Maurice Kirk and a pointer from a journo that brought him here.

At the time I was aware that the Air league had been contacted prior to this and I can now show the two e-mails that support this:

> From: ******** <**********@yahoo.com>
> Date: 21 September 2016 at 08:05:51 BST
> To: a*******.b*********@airleague.co.uk
> Subject: Air League awards
>
> Dear A*******,
>
> I notice that the league have made a recent award to Ms Tracey Curtis Taylor, could you please enlighten me as to the nature and wording of the award and the basis upon which this was decided. Having followed the recent media and industry interest in her accompanied "solo" flights using state of the art navigational equipment and large support teams I am curious as to why, when the LAA are giving consideration to withdrawing a previous award, the Air League feel it right and proper to grant one. The editorial in the current issue of Pilot magazine also makes sage comment on her and her teams activities should the league be unaware.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
>
> ***** ***********.
>
> Tel- ##### ######

This resulted in a response:
> From: Terry Holloway <*******@Marcamb.co.uk>
> Date: 21 September 2016 at 12:45:38 BST
> To: "*******@yahoo.com" <********@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Tracey Curtis Taylor
>
> Dear *****,
> I am Vice Chairman of The Air League, and am also chairman of its awards committee. I note your e mail to A****** B*******, and from the tenure of your comments I am assuming you form part of the campaign which is currently attempting to discredit Tracey CT?
> Please telephone me and I will be pleased to have a discussion with you. ##### ### ###.
> Best wishes
> Terry Holloway
The sender of that first e-mail rang Terry upon receipt of the reply; TCT, this thread, the LAA etc were discussed. I know because the sender provided me with the information and has also forwarded on the e-mails, we spoke briefly this morning and we are both at a loss as to why Terry continues with such a vigorous defence of her. So, contrary to the claim it is quite clear that he was aware of this thread 21 September 2016, 2 months before coming on here under the premise that it was for an unrelated matter and that he just "stumbled" upon it.

So Terry, did you REALLY just find us by chance or is there more to this than you are letting on? The timings of the e-mails and phone call do strongly suggest the latter.

Whilst we are at it, I am still keeping an eye out for your list of lies WE have posted on here.
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 13:31
  #3518 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 463
Correct! I will respond if I see untrue comments!
Excellent, here's two untrue comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZD6IsGmGgw

I look forward to your response although, you do seem to have studiously ignored these two lies for quite a long time now.
clareprop is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 13:54
  #3519 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 727
So 1245 people from 25 countries all had "connections" rather than skill and bravery. I wonder how any pilots in this day and age would have dealt with a situation like the ATA lady whose pre flight briefing on a Meteor, having never flown a jet before, was "Keep an eye on the fuel gauge, you only have 35 minutes"
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2017, 14:19
  #3520 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cambridge
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by SATCOS WHIPPING BOY View Post
Back in Nov 2016 I asked Terry if he had "just stumbled on this tread" as he claimed and he quite clearly stated he had and that it was something to do with Maurice Kirk and a pointer from a journo that brought him here.

At the time I was aware that the Air league had been contacted prior to this and I can now show the two e-mails that support this:




This resulted in a response:


The sender of that first e-mail rang Terry upon receipt of the reply; TCT, this thread, the LAA etc were discussed. I know because the sender provided me with the information and has also forwarded on the e-mails, we spoke briefly this morning and we are both at a loss as to why Terry continues with such a vigorous defence of her. So, contrary to the claim it is quite clear that he was aware of this thread 21 September 2016, 2 months before coming on here under the premise that it was for an unrelated matter and that he just "stumbled" upon it.

So Terry, did you REALLY just find us by chance or is there more to this than you are letting on? The timings of the e-mails and phone call do strongly suggest the latter.

Whilst we are at it, I am still keeping an eye out for your list of lies WE have posted on here.
I stumbled on it as I said.
I recall the e mails and a subsequent sensible discussion in which I explained what The Air League had issued the award for, and why it would not be withdrawn. That discussion included talking about the LAA awards and HCAP, but not this thread.

If the aim was to discredit her because the "solo" word appeared in the media, and went uncorrected,this has been achieved. However TCT has expressed her regrets about that. The Air League gave her an award last May for a flight which was well known to have been "not a solo flight" and that was made very clear when he award was made.

I also find the personal abuse against me (and others who dare to speak up for her - not defend), and in particular a threatening phone callto me to be totally unacceptable.
terry holloway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.