Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)

Old 27th Oct 2016, 06:02
  #2041 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 457
HCAP are trying to save face but still missing the big point which will come back to haunt them: She and her team fooled the media and public into thinking both flights were solo and that is what she will be remembered for. It will be very interesting to see how the press receive the news...

Female pilot starts epic solo flight to copy Amy Johnson - Telegraph
clareprop is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 06:23
  #2042 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,703
It has been suggested the HCAP members could vote to rescind this award at
the AGM next year.
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 06:34
  #2043 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 457
They really are all getting themselves into a tailspin now.

HCAP:
Tracey's team consisting her co-pilot and engineer, Ewald Gritsch, flying with her in the Stearman biplane
Ewald:
Yes, Tracey Curtis Taylor was the sole pilot on all her expedition flights.But I did NOT act as a pilot nor as a flight instructor on these expedition flights.
TCT (for the avoidance of doubt):
Specifically, he did not fly my aeroplane instead of me during any of the flights comprising the Africa, Australia or US expeditions.
The press will have a field day with that.

Last edited by clareprop; 27th Oct 2016 at 06:46.
clareprop is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 07:16
  #2044 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 25,186
Jay Sata wrote:
I understand it is confirmed TCT is not attending the Honourable Company of Air Pilots awards Banquet.
My information is that neither will she be attending the Trophies and Awards Banquet tonight, nor will anyone at the banquet be accepting the award on her behalf.

This does not necessarily mean that she has declined to accept the award - it's simply that she will not be at the banquet.

Last edited by BEagle; 27th Oct 2016 at 08:16.
BEagle is online now  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 07:21
  #2045 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,605
Nice to see Ewald has had a promotion to co-pilot. Does that now mean TCT was not the sole pilot? And what's more, she was not alone? Websters are going to have to update their dictionary quick smart.
megan is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 07:29
  #2046 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,548
I see that James Allen wrote the Pilot story about TCT, which was published on line on October 21 this year. Wonder if he has any comments or revisions?
mary meagher is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 08:19
  #2047 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hotel Gypsy
Posts: 2,784
All rather embarrassing for HCAP. I don't particularly care about TCT as an individual; I do care about well established and credible organisations such as LAA and HCAP finding themselves having to squirm. Even the latest release plugging the 'women in aviation' bit is massively subjective, "many will have been .... consider the impact..", without any hard evidence of achievement worthy of greater recognition of the scores who have done something similar.

Did the trip "raise awareness"? What did it "achieve"? Did she really "lead" the expedition?

They're in danger of digging an even deeper hole.
Cows getting bigger is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 09:53
  #2048 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,703
The wiki entry now lists this.
In 2016, the Honourable Company of Air Pilots awarded Curtis-Taylor its Masters Medal for her work in "raising awareness of science and technology in general, and aviation in particular, amongst young women across the world".[27][28]
No mention of "co-pilot Ewald Gritsch.

I the wiki listing is up for discussion on possible deletion. Given her flights were not notable
nor is her career is there justification for retaining it?

It appears the mysterious MurialMary created the page.

This from the discussion on deletion.
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ion_News_Media
I created this article because Curtis-Taylor was in the news (in reliable sources) over a period of time and her story was interesting to me. I wanted to read an article about her, but as there wasn't one, I started one. According to the GNG this is exactly the type of subject WP biography articles represent - people in the news, in independent and reliable sources, over a period of time. I can't see any valid reason to, as Hillbilly requests, "ignore the GNG" because she has been embroiled in controversy. As Veritasaviator points out, the controversy is quite complex with allegations and evidence on both sides, and it's likely she will be in the news for a while because of it - which again means that she as a subject meets the GNG. MurielMary (talk) 07:04, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

MurielMary Well, it's certainly become an interesting subject! Leaning towards your argument, with the HCAP award now stating she did have a co-pilot on board (the opposite of both Curtis-Taylor and Gritsch's recent statements) would you consider the controversy is beginning to overtake the activity and maybe that should be part of the introduction to the page ? Veritasaviator (talk) 07:27, 27 October 2016 (UTC)
Dear Veritasaviator, let's move questions regarding the article's emphasis to its talk page. This AfD page is intended to discuss whether the article should remain in WP or be deleted. Regards Guffydrawers (talk) 07:45, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Delete With the HCAP award statement proving Curtis Taylor did not make these flights either solo or sole, I agree with Hillybilly & Veritasaviator suggestions, that there is no real achievement by Curtis-Taylor shown given she had a co-pilot, backup aircraft, satellite communication links, navigation equipment and a logistic company behind her. Dozens of people fly similar routes in light aircraft, microlights and paragliders every year without such support. http://www.trike-expeditions.com/Cap...er_aubert.html 5.133.8.125 (talk) 08:14, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Please familiarise yourself with the GNG of WP (the General Notability Guidelines for article subjects). Whether Curtis-Taylor's flights were solo or not is irrelevant here. The question is whether she is the subject of ongoing media coverage in independent reliable sources over a period of time. For comparison, someone like Kim Kardashian has arguably achieved nothing in her life but has a very busy, highly read and popular article on WP. Achievement is different to notability. MurielMary (talk) 08:21, 27 October 2016 (UTC)

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 27th Oct 2016 at 10:03.
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:01
  #2049 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 390
Despite searching hard, I cannot find any answers to Sam Rutherford's question on 16th October 2016:
I now have a question for Ewald:

After the Stearman hit the parked R44 only 6 weeks before the Australia trip - can you let us know how closely you followed the FAA propstrike requirements? I've been wondering for a while, particularly considering that the engine failed +/- 6 months later.
Ewald might also be able to answer how the wreck of Artifice was miraculously rebuilt so quickly after T C-T smashed it up. Did it have anything to do with happening to have spare airframes available, meaning minimal effort to transfer a constructor's plate across, possibly?

As an enthusiast's forum, there is a large audience who'd be fascinated to learn more of how such a total rebuild can be done so fast. Just how was Artifice ready for the next show and into the media shots again in unbelievable time?
pilotmike is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:02
  #2050 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 457
This is where you go to have your say on whether the page should be deleted or not - just look for the 'edit' link at the top:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe..._Curtis-Taylor
clareprop is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:13
  #2051 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by Jay Sata View Post
I should have asked this question months ago but who was Bill Woodham and why have the LAA got a Navigation Award in his memory.
Did you ever find out? (Apologies if I've missed the answer elsewhere)
spekesoftly is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:16
  #2052 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bath
Posts: 261
On Wiki, the Goodwood helicopter incident says it was a 'damaged R22'
I thought it was a written-off R44
Any AAIB report to substantiate the helicopter being written-off?


The Stearman also looks totally written-off from the photographs
Cessnafly is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:18
  #2053 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere nice
Age: 47
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by megan View Post
Nice to see Ewald has had a promotion to co-pilot. Does that now mean TCT was not the sole pilot? And what's more, she was not alone? Websters are going to have to update their dictionary quick smart.
Statement from Ewald himself says he did NOT fly.
Statement - October 2016

Oh what a tangled web.



Maybe it's time they change the site name to Bird-and-a-Bloke-in a BiPlane.

Last edited by rugmuncher; 27th Oct 2016 at 10:18. Reason: spelling
rugmuncher is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:19
  #2054 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by mary meagher View Post
I see that James Allen wrote the Pilot story about TCT, which was published on line on October 21 this year ......
Please can you help with a link to that article? (No luck with searching so far)
spekesoftly is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:23
  #2055 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: northofwhereiusedtobe
Posts: 1,150
Cessnafly - R44 - AAIB bulletin below

AAIB Bulletin: 12/2015 N56200 EW/G2015/08/10

ACCIDENT
Aircraft Type and Registration: Boeing B75N1 Stearman, N56200
No & Type of Engines: 1 Lycoming R680 piston engine
Year of Manufacture: 1943
Date & Time (UTC): 17 August 2015 at 1115 hrs
Location: Goodwood Aerodrome, Sussex
Type of Flight: Private
Persons on Board: Crew – 1 Passengers - 1
Injuries: Crew - None Passengers - None
Nature of Damage: Damage to propeller and tears in left wing
Commander’s Licence: Private Pilot’s Licence
Commander’s Age: 53 years
Commander’s Flying Experience: 1,430 hours (of which at least 350 were on type)
Last 90 days - 16 hours
Last 28 days - 9 hours
Information Source: Aircraft Accident Report Form submitted by the
pilot
The aircraft was parked outside a hangar, in an area where construction works were ongoing
and temporary buildings had been erected in preparation for an event. The pilot boarded the
aircraft and started the engine, before beginning to taxi. After moving off the aircraft turned
through 90 to go between buildings towards the runway. The width of the area between the
buildings was insufficient to allow the turns necessary for the pilot of a Stearman to see the
area ahead. The pilot saw one helicopter parked ahead on the left, and another on the right,
but could not see directly forward, and the propeller and nose of N56200 contacted the front
of a Robinson R44 helicopter which had been parked between the other two.
The pilot of N56200 immediately realised that there had been a collision, and shut down
the aircraft, she and her passenger vacating it without difficulty. The helicopter was not
occupied, and no injuries resulted, but its cockpit was destroyed. The collision could have
been avoided if the pilot of N56200 had ensured that the area into which it taxied was clear
of obstructions, either by observation, or the use of wing-walkers or marshallers
longer ron is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:27
  #2056 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bath
Posts: 261
rugmuncher, whilst none of us here have any evidence to the contrary of Ewald ever flying the Stearman on those jaunts, honestly, truthfully, hand on heart, can you really believe that a 20,000 hr pilot, the engineer himself, never flew that aircraft. Sorry, for me, on the balance of probabilities, I would say that he did fly that aircraft ON those jaunts at various stages.

...and I think any one of us here as her co-pilot would have done the same.
Cessnafly is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:34
  #2057 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere nice
Age: 47
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by Cessnafly View Post
rugmuncher, whilst none of us here have any evidence to the contrary of Ewald ever flying the Stearman on those jaunts, honestly, truthfully, hand on heart, can you really believe that a 20,000 hr pilot, the engineer himself, never flew that aircraft. Sorry, for me, on the balance of probabilities, I would say that he did fly that aircraft ON those jaunts at various stages.

...and I think any one of us here as her co-pilot would have done the same.
C-fly, That is my opinion too, his statement contradicts totally what they are trying to portray now.

She's be caught lying and embellishing her story and "living the dream".

Its now time for her to wake up and face reality.

It's quite clear she wasn't able to follow through with her primary responsibilities as sole pilot on the "adventure" and \Ewald had to step in and take over these roles while she was swanning around enjoying all the media publicity and all that goes with it.

She's a fake and she needs to do the honourable thing.
rugmuncher is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:46
  #2058 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 702
The key words on my first solo certificate are "without the presence of an instructor". Even when on subsequent training flights, the instructor may not have handled the controls at any point however all pilots will recognise that verbal input still counts as tuition or assistance. Such assistance may be as little as keeping a look out or pointing out that a check item has been missed however assistance is assistance irrespective of whether it was verbal or manual.


No amount of weasel words will make that fact disappear.
B Fraser is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 10:58
  #2059 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bath
Posts: 261
rugmuncher, I totally agree with all you say.


"She's a fake and she needs to do the honourable thing."

Yes, and I don't understand why the Honourable Company of Air Pilots would want to be associated with this scam that has been portrayed to the world media.

I suspect more to this story will unfold in due course.

The Honourable Company will be handing out awards like toffee's at this rate....every time a female airline captain comes across the cabin intercom and says "good morning, this is your captain speaking" she has just brought awareness to 200 - 400 passengers of a female in aviation.
Cessnafly is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2016, 11:12
  #2060 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: uk
Posts: 20
Tracey has previously spoken about what she ate during her flights, and yoghurt was mentioned as an example. Does she really expect us to believe that she didn't ask Ewald to take control for a while? And what about the RT? Did Tracey do this herself at all times during the flights...do we have access to any tapes?

And how does "sole pilot" or "alone in the airplane" stack up with HCAP's statement of Ewald being a "co-pilot?"

Whichever way it goes at the HCAP's presentation their award to her is now playing out like a slow motion plane crash. Reading of the statements they have issued to date in chronological order makes good text for a farce.
sophi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.