PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) (https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight-61/)
-   -   Flight 666 (https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/638725-flight-666-a.html)

Rwy in Sight 17th Feb 2021 18:43

Flight 666
 
I was checking the FR24 and I saw a flight 665 to nearing its destination. I understand / have seen flight numbers to be retired from service after an accident that had attracted a lot of publicity - or on some airlines there is no row 13. However I am curious to see any of our members here have boarded a flight 666 to any destination.

Helol 17th Feb 2021 18:58

I think Flight nr 2020 would top 666 any time now!

DaveReidUK 17th Feb 2021 19:41


Originally Posted by Rwy in Sight (Post 10992410)
I was checking the FR24 and I saw a flight 665 to nearing its destination. I understand / have seen flight numbers to be retired from service after an accident that had attracted a lot of publicity - or on some airlines there is no row 13. However I am curious to see any of our members here have boarded a flight 666 to any destination.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....212445a7ef.jpg

Akrapovic 17th Feb 2021 19:59


D9009 17th Feb 2021 20:17

FR666 DUB-BHX

krismiler 18th Feb 2021 02:01

Flight numbers may be retired for a few years after a major incident but usually end up being resurrected. With three digits only giving a thousand possibilities permanent delation wouldn't be practical.

PAXboy 18th Feb 2021 02:09

Leading Zeros are now creeping in but, after Covid, we probably won't need Four Figure flight numbers for a while.

akerosid 18th Feb 2021 04:50

Flight to HEL
 
Finnair topped that; until 2017, they had a flight 666 ... straight to HEL.

Rwy in Sight 18th Feb 2021 04:55


Originally Posted by PAXboy (Post 10992564)
Leading Zeros are now creeping in but, after Covid, we probably won't need Four Figure flight numbers for a while.


I hope you are wrong on your forecast. However I think in the US, there are four digit flights and I know some special flights have a letter following the number.

So I am looking forward for a flight 666 and a seat 13D

DaveReidUK 18th Feb 2021 06:35


Originally Posted by Rwy in Sight (Post 10992603)
I hope you are wrong on your forecast. However I think in the US, there are four digit flights and I know some special flights have a letter following the number.

Many European airlines, even before the current rash of ad-hoc and freight-only flights, have had 4-digit flight numbers in their timetables for years.

For example Aeroflot, Air France, BA, Blue Air, Brussels AL, Eurowings, Finnair, Iberia, KLM, Lufthansa, TAP, Turkish, etc - and those are just the ones I can see out of my window.

dash34 18th Feb 2021 07:33


Originally Posted by Akrapovic (Post 10992435)

Nice landing with a strong tailwind. I bet the passengers barely felt that one!

Beamr 18th Feb 2021 08:13


Originally Posted by akerosid (Post 10992600)
Finnair topped that; until 2017, they had a flight 666 ... straight to HEL.

And the final AY666 to HEL was on friday 13th. Despite the odds it made it there on time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a7998271.html

Hartington 18th Feb 2021 08:47

BA have had 4 digit flight numbers for years. From memory in the early '80s:
0-299 Long Haul
300-999 Short haul (excluding domestic UK)
1000=1299 extra long haul,
1300-1999 extra short haul
2000-2299 Long haul Gatwick
2300-2999 short haul Gatwick.
I think domestic German (Berlin) were 3xxx, non London domestic 4xxx

With the advent of code shares 4 digit numbers have mushrromed (and made a bit of a mess of the BA system of numbering). It is said that Delta ran out of 4 digit numbers over 10 years ago. They asked IATA for a 2nd two character code but they were refused. If you look at some of their domestic flights you will find A-B-A with the same flight number.

In such circumstances not using 666 or 13 or some other numbers may not be practical.

A question is whether 0001 is diferent to 1. I doubt it but does anyone know.

Beamr 18th Feb 2021 09:49

A quick search gave at least the following possibilities (most of them are not active routes)
LH666 Lufthansa SJO to FRA
AY666 Finnair CPH to HEL
BA666 BA LHR to CHQ
AF666 Air France CDG to LIS (cargo)
UA666 United DEN to TUS
AA666 American Airlines FLL to DCA
RYR666 Ryanair VIE to MBX, interestingly also DUB to BHX
SK666 SAS NYC to OSL
QF666 Qantas ADL to BNE
TK666 Turkish Airlines NSI to ISL
AI666 Air India BOM to DEL

And much more, too much to list everything.


DaveReidUK 18th Feb 2021 13:08


Originally Posted by Hartington (Post 10992721)
A question is whether 0001 is different to 1. I doubt it but does anyone know.

The (IATA) rule is that the presence or absence of leading zeroes does not create a different Flight Number.

Airlines are free to choose which presentation they prefer for timetables, airport screens, etc.

Tinymind 18th Feb 2021 13:23

Eng 666?
 
I was a ramp eng with Big Airline and I noticed an eng friend had BA666 approval. Did it give him trouble, not really he said, just occasionally the techcrew go a bit silent if they notice.
A while after he retired I tried to chat up the lady who controlled the numbers and get 666. It was a no go and I was sent packing. Shame.

PAXboy 18th Feb 2021 13:26

I have found with BA that the details are given with the leading zeros (last year was on 0057 and 0042. Yet, when entering the details to check in, the system drops the zeros and only shows the two digits. But then, we all know about BA and their I.T. systems ...

bobward 18th Feb 2021 13:33

Historic Flight 666
 
Wasn't this a flight from Lisbon to the UK during the second world war that was shot down by Luftwaffe interceptors over the Bay of Biscay?
The actor Leslie Howard was one of those lost. It was also rumoured that Winston Churchill was supposed to have been aboard, which might be the reason it was attacked.
There was a book written about it in the in the late 1960's if my memory is correct.

Just a thought!

spitfirek5054 18th Feb 2021 15:29

Date????????????????
 

Originally Posted by bobward (Post 10992892)
Wasn't this a flight from Lisbon to the UK during the second world war that was shot down by Luftwaffe interceptors over the Bay of Biscay?
The actor Leslie Howard was one of those lost. It was also rumoured that Winston Churchill was supposed to have been aboard, which might be the reason it was attacked.
There was a book written about it in the in the late 1196's if my memory is correct.

Just a thought!

Did they have aircraft in 1196,if they did no one told the Wright brothers

Level bust 18th Feb 2021 16:01

I can't remember which year it was, but Monarch operated a series with the return flight number/callsign out of Luton as 666.

It may have been on a B720, but it certainly caused a lot of joviality on the R/T at the time!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.