PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions (https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions-91/)
-   -   Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down (https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/629862-accident-near-mangalore-airport-possibly-2-aircraft-down.html)

Homesick-Angel 19th Feb 2020 20:41

What needs to be fixed is the media’s approach to sharing images of the scene prior to people being removed. It’s such a blatant disregard for basic respect particularly for concerned friends and family . I’ve unfortunately been on site at two different fatalities over the years, and the media’s tactics on the ground are nothing short of evil.

KRviator 19th Feb 2020 21:29


Originally Posted by tio540 (Post 10691508)
Discussion publically about possibilities, prior to any formal investigation, with a colonial inquest pending, is called subjudice, and also professional ignorance.

This has no place on a professional forum.

Rubbish. Sub Judice - two words, not one - occurs when an investigation or inquiry under the control of a judge is occurring, and where the publishing of material is likely to interfere or affect the investigation/inquiry and/or affect the judicial outcome. It's a very long bow to claim that discussions on Prune, before any inquiry bar the ATSB one, has been announced could affect any legal inquiry!

I don't like or agree with finger-pointing at pilots who aren't here to defend themselves, but, given the delay in any investigation, either ATSB or by a Coroner, discussions here can prove beneficial by raising possibilities and causing others to think about how they operate and could it happen to them. If, by doing so, just one pilot changes their behaviour in a positive way, then the discussions have served their purpose.

iron_jayeh 19th Feb 2020 21:43

One of the few things I've agreed with here:

Investigation need to be quicker. There is really no reason for them to take so long

mates rates 19th Feb 2020 21:49

If the aircraft were talking to each other you would have expected the arriving aircraft to maintain 5000 with the outbound one climbing to 4000 until clear of each other.

Checkboard 19th Feb 2020 21:52


Investigative need to be quicker. There is really no reason for them to take so long
Indeed - the one on this thread is already done.

cogwheel 19th Feb 2020 23:02

As an IFR M/E instructor in a previous life, I have operated at MNG many times in all sorts of WX. If the communications are appropriate then usually all is well. What this thread says in many ways is there is a significant lack of understanding of what the appropriate procedures are in Class G/CTAF. The MULTICOM saga of a year ago showed exactly the same. Many pilots say what they think the other pilot or the controller wants to hear but there is very little instruction on this aspect of radio communications, in fact the last time I looked it is not subject to any examination - just what your instructors teach you (!). In fact there are CFIs about that all have a different idea on what to say and when and then the CASA safety advisors have a different view on it as well. This may only be a small hole in the cheese, but believe me it is a serious one that needs to be addressed with some detailed instruction and some standardisation. As someone said above, if it was IMC and they were talking to each other (??) why did they not provide themselves with at least 1000ft separation?
It should be known that you don't get a clearance on the ground at places like MNG, so why ask? All that is needed is a taxy call to start your SAR and perhaps obtain a SSR code. Every commercial pilot should know that navigation responsibility when OCTA (except in an emergency) is the responsibility of the PIC and that means you will not be radar vectored when OCTA. The appropriate use of 2 Coms is an issue in this event and will no doubt be looked into. It was mentioned that some instructors turn the radio volume down at times - really? You should get another job if you do that.

A very sad event, may they RIP. I hope we can learn from the results of the investigation.

junior.VH-LFA 19th Feb 2020 23:25

I agree. Some of the terminology and discussion in this thread raises alarming concern of people’s understanding of how IFR works in different types of airspace; not withstanding the accident itself and how it came to happen.

rcoight 19th Feb 2020 23:30


Originally Posted by cogwheel (Post 10691673)
.....As someone said above, if it was IMC and they were talking to each other (??) why did they not provide themselves with at least 1000ft separation?
It should be known that you don't get a clearance on the ground at places like MNG, so why ask? All that is needed is a taxy call to start your SAR and perhaps obtain a SSR code. Every commercial pilot should know that navigation responsibility when OCTA (except in an emergency) is the responsibility of the PIC and that means you will not be radar vectored when OCTA. The appropriate use of 2 Coms is an issue in this event and will no doubt be looked into. It was mentioned that some instructors turn the radio volume down at times - really? You should get another job if you do that.

A very sad event, may they RIP. I hope we can learn from the results of the investigation.


Agree 100%

mcoates 19th Feb 2020 23:41

The event itself is truly tragic but if we can learn from this incident and stop similar accidents in the future then it is something we should all benefit from as pilots.

The biggest complaint I have is that this type of investigation could take three or four years for completion and result. This is three or four years that people have to forget about the incident, the new people joining aviation won't know about what happened and so on.

Old news is bad news so the only way pilots can benefit in situations like this is to have a speedy release of factual information and at least keep it in our minds reminding us of the dangers at we CAN be exposed to every time we go flying

ACMS 19th Feb 2020 23:55


Originally Posted by cogwheel (Post 10691673)
As an IFR M/E instructor in a previous life, I have operated at MNG many times in all sorts of WX. If the communications are appropriate then usually all is well. What this thread says in many ways is there is a significant lack of understanding of what the appropriate procedures are in Class G/CTAF. The MULTICOM saga of a year ago showed exactly the same. Many pilots say what they think the other pilot or the controller wants to hear but there is very little instruction on this aspect of radio communications, in fact the last time I looked it is not subject to any examination - just what your instructors teach you (!). In fact there are CFIs about that all have a different idea on what to say and when and then the CASA safety advisors have a different view on it as well. This may only be a small hole in the cheese, but believe me it is a serious one that needs to be addressed with some detailed instruction and some standardisation. As someone said above, if it was IMC and they were talking to each other (??) why did they not provide themselves with at least 1000ft separation?
It should be known that you don't get a clearance on the ground at places like MNG, so why ask? All that is needed is a taxy call to start your SAR and perhaps obtain a SSR code. Every commercial pilot should know that navigation responsibility when OCTA (except in an emergency) is the responsibility of the PIC and that means you will not be radar vectored when OCTA. The appropriate use of 2 Coms is an issue in this event and will no doubt be looked into. It was mentioned that some instructors turn the radio volume down at times - really? You should get another job if you do that.

A very sad event, may they RIP. I hope we can learn from the results of the investigation.

agree, well said.

tio540 19th Feb 2020 23:55

KRAviator, clearly your expertise lies with Google.

The coronial investigation is already underway, and rules apply now. Keep Googling!


ACMS 19th Feb 2020 23:59


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 10691625)
Rubbish. Sub Judice - two words, not one - occurs when an investigation or inquiry under the control of a judge is occurring, and where the publishing of material is likely to interfere or affect the investigation/inquiry and/or affect the judicial outcome. It's a very long bow to claim that discussions on Prune, before any inquiry bar the ATSB one, has been announced could affect any legal inquiry!

I don't like or agree with finger-pointing at pilots who aren't here to defend themselves, but, given the delay in any investigation, either ATSB or by a Coroner, discussions here can prove beneficial by raising possibilities and causing others to think about how they operate and could it happen to them. If, by doing so, just one pilot changes their behaviour in a positive way, then the discussions have served their purpose.

yes very true, I’m sure a lot of IFR guys and girls will have a re think of their OCTA CTAF procedures and separation standards......some from reading this and that’s a good thing.

Lead Balloon 20th Feb 2020 00:08

I don’t think SJ rules apply to coroner’s inquiries. Although it’s a coroner’s court and coroners have quasi-judicial powers and protections, the proceedings are executive rather than judicial.

Are you able to point to anyone held in contempt of a coroner’s court for expressing an opinion on the cause of someone’s death? I heard someone on ABC Radio National this morning stating, categorically, that yesterday’s tragedy in Camp Hill was a murder suicide.

KRviator 20th Feb 2020 00:10


Originally Posted by tio540 (Post 10691695)
KRAviator, clearly your expertise lies with Google.

The coronial investigation is already underway, and rules apply now. Keep Googling!

I did - and guess what I found from the Victorian Government solicitors office?


Originally Posted by The Government Solicotor
What is sub judice contempt?
Sub judice contempt is the common law offence of publishing material which has a tendency to interfere with the administration of justice while proceedings are sub judice; that is, ‘under a judge’. The rationale for the offence is to avoid a ‘trial by media’ by prohibiting the publication of material which might prejudge issues at stake in particular proceedings, or which might influence or place pressure on persons involved in the proceedings, including jurors, witnesses or potential witnesses, and parties to the proceedings. In deciding whether material is prejudicial, the court will attempt to balance the public interest in free speech with the public interest in ensuring a fair trial.

Fairly similar to what I wrote above based on my understanding of the concept, wouldn't you say? Be interesting to hear your understanding of those "rules" you talk about...

tio540 20th Feb 2020 00:19


Originally Posted by KRviator (Post 10691701)
I did - and guess what I found from the Victorian Government solicitors office?



Fairly similar to what I wrote above based on my understanding of the concept, wouldn't you say? Be interesting to hear your understanding of those "rules" you talk about...

If you Google again you could give advice on medicine, as well as law.

Squawk7700 20th Feb 2020 00:52

Is the Coroner “administering justice” or are they reviewing facts in order to make recommendations and findings?

I also read the words “free speech” in there of which we are all entitled to.

iron_jayeh 20th Feb 2020 01:30


Originally Posted by Squawk7700 (Post 10691716)
Is the Coroner “administering justice” or are they reviewing facts in order to make recommendations and findings?

I also read the words “free speech” in there of which we are all entitled to.

you're kidding yourself of you think we have free speech. But that's a while different topic

logansi 20th Feb 2020 01:56

It seems JQF was a flight test based on media reports.

Office Update 20th Feb 2020 02:05

I have not been to Mangalore for a few decades. Is the old control tower still in place?
Perhaps the traffic levels justify re-activating the tower?

Hoosten 20th Feb 2020 02:16


Indeed - the one on this thread is already done.
I'm sorry, you say it's done? I've missed the conclusion, could you post it?


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:58.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.