The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Those were the days

Old 2nd Jun 2022, 22:24
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,433
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lead Balloon:
from And today there are no public toilets at Parafield. I kid you not
The other day, after a longish flight, I took one look at the toilet block 100 metres distant, another at the combination locked gate between me and toilet at this security controlled airport, and then used the aircraft as a screen………

‘One benefit of the decline of GA is that there is no one around.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 23:13
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: House
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Lead Balloon:

The other day, after a longish flight, I took one look at the toilet block 100 metres distant, another at the combination locked gate between me and toilet at this security controlled airport, and then used the aircraft as a screen………

‘One benefit of the decline of GA is that there is no one around.
Between the councils, CAsA, 'world's best practice Air services Australia etc the industry is going down the 'nonexistent' toilet. Appropriate action Sunfish.
sagan is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2022, 04:51
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: adelaide, Australia
Posts: 463
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the locked toilets at Parafield are a disgrace. I along with others have been in contact with Adelaide AirRorts about these over the past year or so. They had some vandalism in the building so decided to lock them ...permanently. Some hangars have their own WC's of course other buildings do not. So in their wisdom they issued keys to those that didn't. No consideration was given to transient pilots and passengers. Pity help a female in urgent need after a couple of hour flight if you arrive after hours and the hangars are all closed . That is if they will let you use them. PF management have been asked to do what many country airports do and install a combination lock with a sign stating the combo is the CTAF,PAL, Area freq etc but there response it a flat no. No duty of care nothing.
They are happy to and insist in fact however, to charge you to land and park at PF while there.
May suggest if you find yourself in need to walk to their PF office in Tiger Moth Lane and ask to use theirs. If it is closed please feel free to relive yourself on their front door.
Tiger Moth Lane is only a short walk to the NW from the turnstile next to the Tower. You will need to use this exit anyway if you haven't got a gate swipe card as there is no other way out other than bolt cutters.
On behalf of Adelaideans I apologize for PF managements appalling managements attitude.
mostlytossas is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2022, 07:41
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Canberra ACT Australia
Posts: 310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pity help a female in urgent need after a couple of hour flight if you arrive after hours and the hangars are all closed.
Precisely how I found out. After flying in from YWMC my partner disappeared through the turnstile and was gone for some time. I subsequently found out that she was lucky to find someone who let her use facilities in a hangar.

Third world.
Clinton McKenzie is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2022, 07:43
  #25 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,452
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still flying the Caravan and also an Agusta Power.

Sorry I missed the Old Station fly in. Hopefully next year if it is on.
Dick Smith is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2022, 13:11
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond NSW
Posts: 1,316
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie View Post
Precisely how I found out. After flying in from YWMC my partner disappeared through the turnstile and was gone for some time. I subsequently found out that she was lucky to find someone who let her use facilities in a hangar.

Third world.
Perhaps not the only time this sort of thing has happened, Clinton? Many years ago you very kindly took my late sister for her only ever GA flight. A flight that she enjoyed immensely. But returning to YPPF over the Adelaide Hills, Jane enquired as to how long it might be before we landed? Upon taxying in and immediately after shutdown, my sister and I sprinted to the maintenance hangar on the western side of the tower. (I knew where the toilet was there, for her use.) Afterwards we returned to the A36 Bonanza for photos. I see those photos daily as they're in my lounge room at home.
gerry111 is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2022, 03:34
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I got caught short at PF a little while ago, no public toilet and a very demanding bowel movement wanting to move.

Behind some hangars were a few garbage skips, and in one skip was a pizza box and some newspaper. Crouch down between the skips. Wrapped the boxed result in newspaper, deposited it in one of the skips. In the sun. several days before pickup was due.

Luckily I was on my way shortly after.
Ascend Charlie is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2022, 08:52
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Canberra ACT Australia
Posts: 310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerry111 View Post
Perhaps not the only time this sort of thing has happened, Clinton? Many years ago you very kindly took my late sister for her only ever GA flight. A flight that she enjoyed immensely. But returning to YPPF over the Adelaide Hills, Jane enquired as to how long it might be before we landed? Upon taxying in and immediately after shutdown, my sister and I sprinted to the maintenance hangar on the western side of the tower. (I knew where the toilet was there, for her use.) Afterwards we returned to the A36 Bonanza for photos. I see those photos daily as they're in my lounge room at home.
I remember it well, GIII. We are fortunate that most in GA - including GA training and maintenance organisations at YPPF - have a little more humanity than the airport corporations milking every red cent of profit they can out of what are supposed to be public assets.
Clinton McKenzie is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2022, 08:53
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Canberra ACT Australia
Posts: 310
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie View Post
Well, I got caught short at PF a little while ago, no public toilet and a very demanding bowel movement wanting to move.

Behind some hangars were a few garbage skips, and in one skip was a pizza box and some newspaper. Crouch down between the skips. Wrapped the boxed result in newspaper, deposited it in one of the skips. In the sun. several days before pickup was due.

Luckily I was on my way shortly after.
As I said earlier: Third world.
Clinton McKenzie is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2022, 05:37
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds very much like the old switches on the phone service in small towns. When something went wrong they had all the numbers, contacts, backups and would stay until sorted. Different times and different people.
finestkind is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.