The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Ooops

Old 2nd Apr 2021, 09:30
  #21 (permalink)  
TWT
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: troposphere
Posts: 737
There's no shortage of posters on PPRuNe, many supposedly working in aviation, who believe that aircraft are kept in hangers

TWT is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 14:20
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seat 0A
Posts: 8,120
As long as the propellor doesn't hit the hanger door we'll all be OK.
Capn Bloggs is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 21:33
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,327
Here is a Plane in a Hanger


Fris B. Fairing is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 21:46
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 502
With the new weird trend to call aeroplanes 'frames' is that where they get the idea from?

In relation to the photograph of the damage it seems to be stretching into the no skin patches allowed area around the pitot heads. I am not an engineer, perhaps somebody could explain the reason for that rule. NZ registered 737's have that area marked off with red angles.
By George is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 21:50
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 884
RAAF are going to need a new hangar door as well. Probably not going to be cheap either.
rjtjrt is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 23:52
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seat 0A
Posts: 8,120
Frisbee, that's good. An instructor of one of my crusty old friends said "It's an aeroplane, laddie, planes shave wood".

Get back on thread, Bloggs!
Capn Bloggs is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 01:09
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gerloz
Posts: 442
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs View Post
Frisbee, that's good. An instructor of one of my crusty old friends said "It's an aeroplane, laddie, planes shave wood".

Get back on thread, Bloggs!
Better that then call it ď the jet ď.
Globocnik is online now  
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 07:33
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,951
Originally Posted by tail wheel View Post
Any Australian operator wanting to operate a high capacity jet on fire fighting operations would be a masochist to even consider trying to convert an Australian registered aircraft and obtaining an Australian AOC for that type of operation. Have you ever noticed the number of Australian based Executive and Special Purpose aircraft, based and operating in Australia, which are not registered in Australia?
Folks,
Sadly, how very very true.
And remember, if you are battling with an Australian AOC, aircraft do NOT have to be Australian registered, as determined by court precedent.
Bermuda, Aruba and Isle of Mann are favourite, but NZ can work out well under the TTMRA --- use an NZ AOC.
Tootle pip!!
LeadSled is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 07:53
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond NSW
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by rjtjrt View Post
RAAF are going to need a new hangar door as well. Probably not going to be cheap either.
That was fixed by Thursday morning 01 Apr 21 and now just needs painting. The frame / plane / jet / B737 / aeroplane / aircraft is hidden from sight in what used to be known as the 2AD Paint Shop Hangar.
gerry111 is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2021, 01:35
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by gerry111 View Post
The frame / plane / jet / B737 / aeroplane / aircraft.
You forgot "platform". A recent book describes a WWI Bristol Fighter as a platform.
Fris B. Fairing is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2021, 04:59
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,788
"It's an aeroplane, laddie, planes shave wood"
Sign of a limited education. There is such a thing as a "plane captain" and s/he doesn't wear four rings or sit front left, but does look after planes as the title suggests. Back to regular programming.
megan is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2021, 02:54
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the dark side of the moon
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by tail wheel View Post
Any Australian operator wanting to operate a high capacity jet on fire fighting operations would be a masochist to even consider trying to convert an Australian registered aircraft and obtaining an Australian AOC for that type of operation. Have you ever noticed the number of Australian based Executive and Special Purpose aircraft, based and operating in Australia, which are not registered in Australia?
In the case of this aircraft, I believe itís slightly more complicated than just a rubber stamp. A while back there was some discussion in the Australian media about the fact that NSW purchased that aircraft for a dual role - air tanker and passenger carriage (mostly for fire crews and such) but no passengers were being allowed by the CAA. The CAA received unfair criticism in the media for it. Given that the FAA does not have a certification standard for converted air tankers that carry passengers, the only way the Australian CAA could issue such a certification would be to establish its own standards - for one aircraft. Who should foot the bill for that?
J.O. is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2021, 08:59
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 1,271
Originally Posted by J.O. View Post
In the case of this aircraft, I believe itís slightly more complicated than just a rubber stamp. A while back there was some discussion in the Australian media about the fact that NSW purchased that aircraft for a dual role - air tanker and passenger carriage (mostly for fire crews and such) but no passengers were being allowed by the CAA. The CAA received unfair criticism in the media for it. Given that the FAA does not have a certification standard for converted air tankers that carry passengers, the only way the Australian CAA could issue such a certification would be to establish its own standards - for one aircraft. Who should foot the bill for that?
Considering it's something that's being brought in to serve the public and CASA are the only ones legally able to do this I'd dare say CASA as a Government body probably should, this seems like it would be their entire damned job and they'd be happy to absorb the costs for public benefit.
Ixixly is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2021, 09:04
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 3,430
CASA isn’t ‘allowed’ to ‘absorb the costs’. CASA is legally obliged to recover them.

Refer any complaints on the issue to the Commonwealth Department of Finance.
Lead Balloon is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.