The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Sharp Airlines Cadetship?

Old 26th Aug 2020, 00:53
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4
Thumbs up Sharp Airlines Cadetship?

I'm a year 12 student looking to go into aviation. I recently discovered the Moorabbin Flying Services Sharp Airlines Cadetship and am extremely interested. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with cadetships for sharp or in general (some pros and cons) or working with sharp and their interview process (if I even get in!). Thanks heaps
Thezk77 is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 11:30
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 135
Before you get your hopes set on anything, I'd first verify that it is even running. Covid is changing the industry extremely quickly, and the amount of hyper qualified guys without work isn't going to help you.

If you do find out that it is running, get that contingent job offer in writing.

It might also be wise to have a think about what you ultimately want to get out of your aviation career, the experiences you want to have, the things you want to learn.

The decisions you make now will probably dictate the path of your entire career.

A straight shot to airlines seems great in year 12, I know it did to me, but now that I look back on it, my years in GA will always remain cherished memories that laid me a solid foundation for the future.

Will airline cadetships lay you a solid foundation? Probably.

If you can look ahead 10 years and think you'll be content after an entire career in airlines, then go for it.
umop apisdn is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 16:25
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Darwin and PNG
Posts: 1,032
Go for it!
One of the best operators in Oz
No rubbish and high standards.
Duck Pilot is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 22:18
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In God's Country
Posts: 176
Duck, I think that you will find nowadays that the course simply bears the Sharp name - it used to be provided by an "internal" school operated by Sharp, but that has now closed down and the programme is simply a full time CPL / IR course delivered by one of the Moorabbin schools, with little or no involvement from Sharp save for the odd pep talk and perhaps an assessment somewhere along the way. It's fairly expensive, too. Not sure there is a guaranteed job at the end of it - but if there is that promise, I'd make sure it is given in writing with Mal's signature at the bottom before a single dollar is handed over to the school or the airline!
Flying Bear is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2020, 01:08
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 240
Take care what that you are signing up for is what you want, and will actually be useful.

The deal used to be that you paid full price for a CPL+IR plus you paid for your own job for the next year - as FO / autopilot. Then you were cast to the winds - one or two from each year stayed on and upgraded to an actual paid job, the rest were let go with experience that was only useful when the airlines were truly desperate for FOs. (No longer the case!)

I've had plenty of people approach me with a CPL+IR, 500 hrs copilot time, 500 hrs turbine, and 70 hours PIC (from their CPL). That experience is only useful for further FO work. Not many companies can put someone to work with only 70 hrs PIC, and very limited real experience. Sad and expensive for them
drpixie is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2020, 03:37
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4
The next avenue from sharp would most likely be an aim to Qantaslink FO or so, which I don't mind
Thezk77 is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2020, 14:42
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Around
Posts: 41
Get your CPL and go North.

Read all the threads on here about doing that, they’re full of great info.

Probably more work in Darwin than Melbourne.
Hamley is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2020, 23:29
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 913
Originally Posted by drpixie View Post

I've had plenty of people approach me with a CPL+IR, 500 hrs copilot time, 500 hrs turbine, and 70 hours PIC (from their CPL). That experience is only useful for further FO work. Not many companies can put someone to work with only 70 hrs PIC, and very limited real experience. Sad and expensive for them
All this info doesn’t apply to this year of course, but in previous years (and in the future when we get back to normal) add another 30 hours command and you’ll have minimums for QF, Qlink and Jetstar, and others, and it’s also common I believe to stay on at Sharp and gain a command there. A lot of overseas opportunities if you’re willing to pursue them too. With that PIC you just fly as an FO under ICUS until ATPL minimums. There’s plenty of options. It’s not a total dead end.

It was pretty evident before Covid where the industry was heading in regards to pilot recruitment. They are definitely heading towards a future of cadet pilots being the primary source. I don’t think Covid will change this, and once regular recruitment resumes first priority will be given to those who have trained through an airline’s cadet program. If you did this course and started next year you’ll be done with the initial employment in 2023. And I think the domestic aviation market should be back to normal by then, so applying for the course in 2021 may be an option. Although I wouldn’t necessarily be running into the Sharp program without considering all other options out there.
dr dre is online now  
Old 29th Aug 2020, 02:14
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,720
The main thing is to get into your head that staying in Melbourne for work may not and probably won’t be an option. If you accept this, then don’t just think the Sharp cadet course is your only option. Plenty of other ways to get into flying out there away from Melbourne.
morno is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2020, 04:32
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 391
Will pumpkin head, still run the cadets through the correct technique for giving Dally
DME distances, using the trusty VanX DME?
CharlieLimaX-Ray is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2020, 06:10
  #11 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Victoria
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
All this info doesn’t apply to this year of course, but in previous years (and in the future when we get back to normal) add another 30 hours command and you’ll have minimums for QF, Qlink and Jetstar, and others, and it’s also common I believe to stay on at Sharp and gain a command there. A lot of overseas opportunities if you’re willing to pursue them too. With that PIC you just fly as an FO under ICUS until ATPL minimums. There’s plenty of options. It’s not a total dead end.

It was pretty evident before Covid where the industry was heading in regards to pilot recruitment. They are definitely heading towards a future of cadet pilots being the primary source. I don’t think Covid will change this, and once regular recruitment resumes first priority will be given to those who have trained through an airline’s cadet program. If you did this course and started next year you’ll be done with the initial employment in 2023. And I think the domestic aviation market should be back to normal by then, so applying for the course in 2021 may be an option. Although I wouldn’t necessarily be running into the Sharp program without considering all other options out there.
Are there many other options involving cadetships out there? What attracts me most about it is the base of Essendon airport close to home. The idea is to apply for Qantas link afterwards.
Thezk77 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 08:58
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by Duck Pilot View Post
Go for it!
One of the best operators in Oz
No rubbish and high standards.
High standards, Really?
Jayden Hammond, Hamilton Vic. Sent to do solo circuits on a moonless night.
Seabreeze is online now  
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 09:26
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,720
Originally Posted by Thezk77 View Post
Are there many other options involving cadetships out there? What attracts me most about it is the base of Essendon airport close to home. The idea is to apply for Qantas link afterwards.
Google will help. Why not just apply for the Qantas cadet course?
morno is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.