The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Private Flight To Be Banned.

Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:34
  #41 (permalink)  
Man Bilong Balus long PNG
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: And once again, the fun and good times having come to an end for yet another year, back in the cold, cruel real world and continuing the seemingly never ending search for that bad bottle of Red
Age: 65
Posts: 2,563
And you need a political response otherwise my fictional press release will one day be reality.
The above quote (bolding added) was the very last paragraph of the original post of this thread. I managed to work out that the scenario outlined in the OP was fiction and not a reality.

So what is your problem LKinnon?

Anyone would think that you are a Greens Party staffer!



Pinky the pilot is online now  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:37
  #42 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,532
Ahhh, Mr Kinnon, the Jetstar cadet with reading comprehension problems and author of that immortal PPRuNe post from 23 April 2012:

Drug and Alcohol Testing - Cadetship ScreeningI am about to apply for a cadetship with a major airline.

In the advertisement they mention "Drug and Alcohol Testing" as part of the screening process.

I am young and enjoy a few drinks with my mates on weekends, and on occasion drink enough that I can't stand up.

Most weekends I also smoke a bit of pot and maybe once a year will drop an Ecstasy tablet when I go out to a dance club.

What I plan to do is abstain from booze and pot for two weeks prior to the test so that nothing gets picked up.

Does anyone have experience with these Drug and Alcohol Tests?

Will two weeks of abstination be enough?

Luckily I don't need to abstain from sex ;-)
Sunfish is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:57
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1,269
screening process - creates greenhouse gases.
young - future greenhouse gases producer for many decades to come.
enjoy a few drinks with my mates - mass production of greenhouse gases.
drink enough that I can't stand up - produces greenhouse gases that could have been avoided.
I also smoke a bit of pot - produces greenhouse gases.
will drop an Ecstasy tablet - bikie backyard drug labs producing greenhouse gases.
dance club - produces greenhouse gases.
sex - produces greenhouse gases... even more if on a plane.
cattletruck is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:07
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aus
Age: 27
Posts: 349
So this is pretty exhausting.
junior.VH-LFA is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 11:55
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 824
After being caught out with a blatant lie, saying ".. it's only ... a parody" does not cut it.

Sunfish is a conspiracy-theory nutter and a liar.
Mate, release the grip a little, you'll go blind.
The name is Porter is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:19
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 773
Originally Posted by LKinnon View Post
After being caught out with a blatant lie, saying ".. it's only ... a parody" does not cut it.

..........
In what sense is putting in the original post
"my fictional press release"
being caught out with a blatant lie? Who did the catching?

From where I sit in the UK I can see a lot of politicians who would love to "pick the low-hanging fruit" that is GA, with the populist rhetoric we in the UK are getting at this moment from the Left.

I've been listening to it for years in planning enquiries, consultation meetings, etc etc, about airfield developments. If I've heard one objector asking why on earth people want to buzz around her lovely home in these noisy little planes I've heard 100, and plenty of politicians, local and national, would love to jump on the band-wagon offered by climate change politics. I've seen 2 MPs grandstanding in the same consultative briefing about an airfield development, each one lying knowingly and consistently with false "statistics" and sound-bites to please the mob, sorry, his constituents. As they continued to do shamelessly when we all went before the Transport Select Committee to argue the toss.

The reduction of non-commercial GA facilities is a process that's well under way in the UK. I would include flying clubs and schools in that; the training they offer is a commercial activity, of course, but for the most part will be concentrated in large centralised FTOs within the foreseeable future as political, environmental, regulatory and financial pressures on small clubs/schools and airfields increase.

The OP's fanciful fiction is nearer to reality, in the UK at least, than some people seem to realise.
old,not bold is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:59
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Jersey
Posts: 4
It is about time people realised that Greta Thunberg is just a naïve 16 yr old schoolgirl who is being manipulated by her ambitious parents and energy giants (e.g. wind farm manufacturers). *She probably has no knowledge of the factors affecting Climate Change.
PaulH1 is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 13:22
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not Aviation House
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post

Federal Government sources have indicated that the use of privately owned aircraft will be drastically restricted under foreshadowed amendments to the civil aviation act. “The restrictions are the first step in the Governments response to climate change as well as an admission of the enormous cost burdens private aircraft inflict on the community” an anonymous treasury source said.

Speaking at a private dinner, the Minister For Transport catalogued the deeply harmful effects of private aircraft use. “First, there are the totally avoidable greenhouse gas emissions from these toys of the rich”, “then there is their use by criminals transporting illegal drugs and child pornography”, “furthermore, there is the ever present risk to regular public transport aircraft, air ambulance and similar public services, not to mention the RAAF defenders of our democratic heritage from the ever present threat of collision with rich silvertails and criminals gadding about for no good reason in Australian airspace.” She said. “the costs to Airlines and the RAAF of avoiding crashing into these private flying hoons are considerable and add to the cost of airline tickets and the defence budget” She said.

In addition the Minister reminded guests of the billions of dollars locked up in regional airports, as she called them “playgrounds of the rich” and foreshadowed further relaxation of rules governing commercial developments of airport land. It is understood that agricultural, medical, remote area and community service flights will be exempted from the ban under a tightly regulated individual permit system.

“As a Government, we are serious about climate change, crime and community values, “ she said. “That is why we are being proactive in consigning private flight to the dustbin of history”.

......That is what you face. You have no answer because you refuse to believe your problems aren’t with CASA, they are with the politicians. ...And you need a political response otherwise my fictional press release will one day be reality.

If the science is correct, then it will become impossible to defend private aviation, eventually, based on pollution (and that is without even considering the use of fossil fuels resource).

The exception would be where there is no alternative.

I am afraid the days of 'going for a jolly for the sense of freedom it brings' are not sufficient reason to pollute the planet.

And before you say it, there are obvious exceptions - in fact many. These are not the same as going for a jolly, or because you cannot be bothered using the mass transport alternatives.

This will apply to all transport, not just flying. Flying however should not be exempt.
Fire and brimstone is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 18:43
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: north pole
Posts: 5
Here in the UK

UK Labour Party considering banning private jet flights by 2025

70 Mustang is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 19:22
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Lossy city
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by atakacs View Post
In Switzerland parliament is currently debating a bill imposing a 500 CHF (au$ 10K or so) on any aircraft take-off (basically the end of GA).
Exchange rate aside: feel free to bring this to a referendum if you care. Would be interesting to see the outcome. And informative.
triploss is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 22:12
  #51 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,532
If we think about it, we might have friends. The green types overseas are suggesting closing golf courses and using the land for public housing.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 22:51
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,560
.............they just want max bandwidth and a slave on a bicycle to deliver pre-prepared meals.

Brilliant an eloquent sign of the times
Rated De is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 23:30
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 50
Keep posting Kinnon. I want to see how many times you keep saying the same thing.
Climb150 is online now  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 23:39
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aus
Age: 27
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
Brilliant an eloquent sign of the times
If you think that’s true it says more about you than it does millennials.
junior.VH-LFA is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 01:23
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
Brilliant an eloquent sign of the times
Maybe millennials are less interested in flying due to the fact it’s quite cost intensive. Younger generations see a future filled with higher debts, extreme housing and cost of living prices, more uncertainty, more unemployment and underemployment, less job security, longer working hours if you are lucky to have a job. I don’t blame them from shying away from investing tens of thousands of dollars to earn and maintain a private licence they will probably use infrequently.
The cost of gaining a PPL and using it, even only infrequently, over several years would be like saving up a deposit for a home loan, and that’s something that a lot of millennials see as unacheivable, so you can see how far down the list of priorities flying for leisure would be.

Flying aircraft that are technologically unadvanced and spending their recreational time socialising in a community that’s generally far older than them, it’s just not an appealing argument to make to a youngster. For the same reason fewer younger people are buying cars, it’s cost intensive and there are cheaper alternatives about.

Last edited by dr dre; 1st Dec 2019 at 01:46.
dr dre is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 03:20
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post


Maybe millennials are less interested in flying due to the fact it’s quite cost intensive. Younger generations see a future filled with higher debts, extreme housing and cost of living prices, more uncertainty, more unemployment and underemployment, less job security, longer working hours if you are lucky to have a job. I don’t blame them from shying away from investing tens of thousands of dollars to earn and maintain a private licence they will probably use infrequently.
The cost of gaining a PPL and using it, even only infrequently, over several years would be like saving up a deposit for a home loan, and that’s something that a lot of millennials see as unacheivable, so you can see how far down the list of priorities flying for leisure would be.

Flying aircraft that are technologically unadvanced and spending their recreational time socialising in a community that’s generally far older than them, it’s just not an appealing argument to make to a youngster. For the same reason fewer younger people are buying cars, it’s cost intensive and there are cheaper alternatives about.
Actually that's a fair assumption of how the youth of today are trending. Another generation or three & the youngsters of tomorrow won't be coming from a family where someone flew. I have numerous nieces & nephews and they have many friends none of them as far as I know show any interest in flying.
I also have 3 offspring, all well & truly grown up none of them where the slightest bit interested in flying (thank Christ!). Us old codgers will just fade away:-(
machtuk is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 03:26
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: australia
Posts: 274
Originally Posted by gerry111 View Post
Sunfish,
In which of The Greens NSW policies does it say at item 28: "Introduce regulatory and taxation reforms that reflect the long term environmental, social and health impacts of air travel"?
In policy 28 of their transport policy page.... https://greens.org.au/nsw/policies/transport

If you think about it, the implementation of these loony greens policies isn't as far fetched as many of you believe. We have seen during the Julia Gillard era just what the greens are capable of in a hung parliament despite only holding a very small fraction of the national vote.
mikewil is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 03:53
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,398
"Sunfish is a crazy liar and I am sick of seeing his nutty posts here."

As Voltaire once said..............................

Sunny says what he says that is his right, if you don't like what he says don't read it, unless you have ulterior motives for confectioned outrage.
thorn bird is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 04:13
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 1,273
I would think it hard to single out aviation at the lower end of the scale without targeting all other forms of motorised recreation for the same reasons.
YPJT is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2019, 05:00
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 569
Originally Posted by machtuk View Post
Actually that's a fair assumption of how the youth of today are trending. Another generation or three & the youngsters of tomorrow won't be coming from a family where someone flew. I have numerous nieces & nephews and they have many friends none of them as far as I know show any interest in flying.
I also have 3 offspring, all well & truly grown up none of them where the slightest bit interested in flying (thank Christ!). Us old codgers will just fade away:-(
Many moons back in my year level, I reckon there was about 10 of us interested in flying in the same year level. From memory 8 of that 10 went on for long term careers.

My youngest son who graduated a few years back, was the first one in about 10 years interested at his school. When I went to the compulsory Year 12 careers advisors meeting with him, he said he wanted to become a pilot like his father. The panel were a little stumbled on how he was to go about this. I said he will gain his CPL in the next decade at the cost of six figures and earn probably 40 grand for next decade after that, then try and get some prop job in the middle of nowhere for the next decade, then try and get a jet job and start a family on a living wage. They all looked at me like I was some form of mental patient and advise he schedule a meeting with the head of Careers at the school to discuss their concerns around his future in this chosen field.

I think I earn about 7 times what they do but I’m sure they will point my young fella in the right direction!


PoppaJo is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.