The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Stupidist radio call

Old 30th Mar 2018, 07:54
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 3,271
Originally Posted by AmarokGTI View Post
I’m a Captain at R something x and I don’t do it, nor does any FO that I have ever flown with. If they did I would be using my best CRM skills to make the point that it’s not correct.
You need to CRM your colleagues who crewed Rex 469 into YNAR and YGTH at around 4pm local this afternoon.

He “taxis” here, he “backtracks” there and “turns” everywhere, but nary an “ing” to be heard.

More fun stuff heard from other aircraft:

“Centre this is ABC. May we please make a request.” (Good manners are so rare these days.)

A couple of times from different pilots at different places: “Urbanville traffic ABC is inbound 15 miles South of the field.” But for the “of the field” I wouldn’t have known where the traffic was!
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 08:19
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Age: 68
Posts: 775
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
Heard everyday on all Australian airports and radio frequencies, pilots reading back verbatim what ATC have instructed them to do. A clearance is required to be read back, an instruction just needs to be acknowledged with the call sign.

Methinks you need to brush up on AIP GEN 3.4-13 4.4.1
fujii is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 08:32
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 1,546
Good morning lads!

As a passenger flying to the UK, I was delighted to listen in to the following conversation:

Captain of American jet also heading East across the briny Atlantic

"Request direct from Aberdeen to LHR approach" .

ATC, in reply, "negative, that will take you through a danger zone"

To which somebody else on frequency couldn't resist transmitting "Go for it!"

Long radio silence followed while all listeners were enjoying the moment.....
mary meagher is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:26
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 437
Methinks you need to brush up on AIP GEN 3.4-13 4.4.1
I use Jepps fuji and the relevant section is State Rules and Procedures Australia communication Sect 6 RADIOTELEPHONY PROCEDURES sub section 6.3 READBACK REQUIREMENTS 6.3.1, very specific about what is required as a readback. An expectation of a clearance is not required to be read back so an expectation of an approach does not require a full readback. You just acknowledge with your callsign. Any other instruction that does not require a readback only requires your callsign as I stated previously. "Cancel speed requirement if desired" is not a clearance so does not need to be readback. "Cancel all speed requirements maintain maximum speed above and below one zero thousand" is a clearance so therefore needs to be readback. Its not that hard but for a lot of pilots operating in Australia it seems to be beyond their ability to understand.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:27
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 200
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon View Post
You need to CRM your colleagues who crewed Rex 469 into YNAR and YGTH at around 4pm local this afternoon.

He “taxis” here, he “backtracks” there and “turns” everywhere, but nary an “ing” to be heard.

More fun stuff heard from other aircraft:

“Centre this is ABC. May we please make a request.” (Good manners are so rare these days.)

A couple of times from different pilots at different places: “Urbanville traffic ABC is inbound 15 miles South of the field.” But for the “of the field” I wouldn’t have known where the traffic was!
Cheers. Different base but I’ll do my best.
AmarokGTI is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 12:13
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Age: 68
Posts: 775
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
I use Jepps fuji and the relevant section is State Rules and Procedures Australia communication Sect 6 RADIOTELEPHONY PROCEDURES sub section 6.3 READBACK REQUIREMENTS 6.3.1, very specific about what is required as a readback. An expectation of a clearance is not required to be read back so an expectation of an approach does not require a full readback. You just acknowledge with your callsign. Any other instruction that does not require a readback only requires your callsign as I stated previously. "Cancel speed requirement if desired" is not a clearance so does not need to be readback. "Cancel all speed requirements maintain maximum speed above and below one zero thousand" is a clearance so therefore needs to be readback. Its not that hard but for a lot of pilots operating in Australia it seems to be beyond their ability to understand.
QNH, hold short, turn left/right heading, go around, etc are not clearances but require a readback. Cancelling speed is not a clearance, it’s an instruction.
fujii is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 12:18
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Richmond NSW
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon View Post
You need to CRM your colleagues who crewed Rex 469 into YNAR and YGTH at around 4pm local this afternoon.

He “taxis” here, he “backtracks” there and “turns” everywhere, but nary an “ing” to be heard.
I heard REX 469 in the vicinity of YGTH this afternoon and confirm Lead Balloon's comments. What really surprised me was that someone activated the PAL there around 4pm despite the bucket loads of visibility. (I was at 9500'.) Was that REX 469?
gerry111 is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 12:36
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 200
Originally Posted by gerry111 View Post
I heard REX 469 in the vicinity of YGTH this afternoon and confirm Lead Balloon's comments. What really surprised me was that someone activated the PAL there around 4pm despite the bucket loads of visibility. (I was at 9500'.) Was that REX 469?
Not familiar with today’s weather in that area but even in day VMC we will active PAPI/VASI if it’s available. Silly not to.

Edit: before anyone says that we should be able to fly without them - we have plenty of ports in the network where we have to fly without them because they aren’t installed.

Last edited by AmarokGTI; 30th Mar 2018 at 15:02. Reason: Extra Info
AmarokGTI is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 22:43
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by AmarokGTI View Post
Not familiar with today’s weather in that area but even in day VMC we will active PAPI/VASI if it’s available. Silly not to.

Edit: before anyone says that we should be able to fly without them - we have plenty of ports in the network where we have to fly without them because they aren’t installed.
Agreed. If PAPIs are installed you'd be an idiot not to activate them.
AerocatS2A is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2018, 23:59
  #70 (permalink)  

Check Attitude
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 471
stupidest !

the word is stupidest, as in smartest, quickest, slowest, the "est" suffix indicates the superlative (or "most").

the suffix "ist" denotes a practitioner, follower etc of an activity, trade, belief.

thus we have dentist, socialist, flautist, violinist, plagiarist, egotist,

so perhaps stupidist is one aspiring to stupidity

sorry folks, I gave up waiting for the spelling police on this.
Mainframe is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 00:44
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 3,271
See posts #16 and 18, Mainframe.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 00:51
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: U.S.A
Age: 52
Posts: 463
Not a radio call but a headset comment from cockpit to ground.

"Two good starts, cleared to disconnect "

WTF are bad starts in a modern jet and does the engineer give a rats?
oicur12.again is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 02:25
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 437
You are reinforcing my point Fujii that many pilots do not understand what needs to be readback and what just needs an acknowledgment.

level instructions, direction of turn, heading and speed instructions all require a readback.

go around, etc are not clearances but require a readback.
Do you want to expand on what etc means?
Lookleft is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 02:31
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne
Age: 68
Posts: 775
Originally Posted by Lookleft View Post
You are reinforcing my point Fujii that many pilots do not understand what needs to be readback and what just needs an acknowledgment.

level instructions, direction of turn, heading and speed instructions all require a readback.



Do you want to expand on what etc means?
Etc, just more items requiring a readback that are not clearances.
fujii is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 04:11
  #75 (permalink)  

Check Attitude
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 471
Thanks LB, I did miss you picking this up in #18.

Mainframe
Mainframe is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 04:54
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by oicur12.again View Post
Not a radio call but a headset comment from cockpit to ground.

"Two good starts, cleared to disconnect "

WTF are bad starts in a modern jet and does the engineer give a rats?
Bad starts are ones that require engineering input and therefore the engineer should give a rats.
AerocatS2A is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 05:12
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On my V Strom
Posts: 255
"Agreed. If PAPIs are installed you'd be an idiot not to activate them."


Pull your head in Aerocat. Just because you can't fly a 3 degree profile on final without the aid of a VASI on a cavok day doesn't mean the rest of us are IDIOTS because we can. Put em on if you want, but if I can look out the window and fly down to the runway nicely, that doesn't make me or anyone else an idiot.
Trevor the lover is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 05:20
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 437
Etc, just more items requiring a readback that are not clearances.
So if you are too lazy to understand what the readback requirements are then the etc just allows you to readback everything ATC tells you? I stand by my original post

Heard everyday on all Australian airports and radio frequencies, pilots reading back verbatim what ATC have instructed them to do.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 06:56
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,942
Folks,
From quite a while ago, testimony one afternoon to failed speed control: QF XXX, (YSSY) Approach, maintain maximum speed or faster for as long as possible.
Tootle pip!!
LeadSled is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 07:18
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sydney
Posts: 335
Years ago I was given a "clear to land check wheels" in a Piper Tomahawk at a RAAF base.

RAAF aircraft had a 'beep' system so ATC could get an additional confirmation of wheels down.

I responded "clear to land, check wheels" and made a long "beep" sound.

Tower laughed.
jonkster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.