Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

Foreign pilots now allowed to apply for a Green Card?

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Foreign pilots now allowed to apply for a Green Card?

Old 20th Mar 2022, 14:05
  #101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for all answers. I hope these could clarify for all EB2-NIW foreigner pilots.
CapTITI is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2022, 23:19
  #102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 74helo View Post
"From my understanding as well, Irish citizens will soon be able to apply for this scheme too?"

My irish friend has just applied, so I guess its up and running.
Any update on Irish citizens applications?
5strypes is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 01:45
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5strypes View Post
Any update on Irish citizens applications?
The route for Australian/Irish citizens is E3 (non-immigrant). The employer must sponsor.
The 'green card' option mentioned here is EB2 (NIW); immigrant visa, with no employer sponsor (self sponsored)
awair is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 04:09
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 637
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E3 is not for Irish citizens.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 09:39
  #105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-.../2877/all-info

Not sure what the progress is on this. But it has been proposed (several times?), and this bill has passed the House.
awair is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 14:29
  #106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see it's been pushed a lot recently to add Irish citizens. It would be very interesting but probably not surprising if it did get approved. Are there many opportunities for E3 holders? I see a handful of regionals.
5strypes is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 20:07
  #107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 637
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...neil-munro.amp


​​​​​This bill was killed in 2018. Keep up people!😁
Climb150 is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 12:21
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.iri...neil-munro.amp


​​​​​This bill was killed in 2018. Keep up people!😁
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ople-1.4829765

Looks to be getting a relaunch...
5strypes is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 16:40
  #109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,069
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5strypes View Post
Looks to be getting a relaunch...
I have to admit surprise at this development. After it passed the House of Representatives, it went NORDO and I figured it would just die off.

So, in the interest of speculation (not we we do that very often here ), how many 1500+ hour pilots does Ireland have to offer the US carriers accepting E3s?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 17:06
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 637
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how something that was negotiated in the Australia/USA free trade agreement has been jumped on by the Irish.

If Ireland wants visas get your own free trade agreement. Oh that's right you can't because you are part of the EU.

Why does Ireland get them all. Why not Korea and maybe Taiwan? What makes Ireland so special.

Last edited by Climb150; 23rd Mar 2022 at 18:06.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 19:25
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150 View Post
I love how something that was negotiated in the Australia/USA free trade agreement has been jumped on by the Irish.

If Ireland wants visas get your own free trade agreement. Oh that's right you can't because you are part of the EU.

Why does Ireland get them all. Why not Korea and maybe Taiwan? What makes Ireland so special.
This seems borderline xenophobic. But to answer your passive aggressive question, I'd imagine because there are far greater historical ties between Ireland and the USA. I'd bet a large cohort of senators could trace roots back, just a handful of generations, to Ireland. Including Joe Biden himself. There already exists a fairly extensive trade network between the US and Ireland.

And to answer the previous question, I'd say not as many as Oz. Though with Stobart Air disappearing (albeit replaced by Emerald) and Ryanair with their questionable contracts, I'd wager there would be some takers.
5strypes is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 20:41
  #112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 637
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where on earth did display any xenophobia? I can only assume since you took so much offence that you are Irish?

I simply stated it's a bit rude that Ireland are trying to get visas allocated to another country. How does Ireland think they are entitled to the fruits of another countries agreement?

Nobody in the USA is pushing for it. It's being lobbied by the Irish. If Ireland want more visas, they can come up with their own scheme.

What is this trade network you speak of? Ireland is in the EU and has no independent trade agreement with the USA. Many people in the USA claim to be Irish. None that I have met were born in Ireland nor were their parents or grandparents. Claiming to Irish in the USA is like a hobby.

Last edited by Climb150; 23rd Mar 2022 at 22:16.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 23:57
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,069
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5strypes View Post
And to answer the previous question, I'd say not as many as Oz. Though...I'd wager there would be some takers.
No doubt. In the meantime, the young Irish hopefuls might want to familiarize themselves with FAR 121.436 to see the hurdles that lie before them should the E3 become an option.

Last edited by bafanguy; 25th Mar 2022 at 12:09.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2022, 13:18
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Village of Santo Poco
Posts: 818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
So, in the interest of speculation (not we we do that very often here ), how many 1500+ hour pilots does Ireland have to offer the US carriers accepting E3s?
Forty-seven. It was forty-eight, but Seamus O'Rheordan-McFadden got a job with Netjets.
Amadis of Gaul is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2022, 13:21
  #115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Village of Santo Poco
Posts: 818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5strypes View Post
This seems borderline xenophobic. But to answer your passive aggressive question, I'd imagine because there are far greater historical ties between Ireland and the USA. I'd bet a large cohort of senators could trace roots back, just a handful of generations, to Ireland. Including Joe Biden himself. There already exists a fairly extensive trade network between the US and Ireland.

And to answer the previous question, I'd say not as many as Oz. Though with Stobart Air disappearing (albeit replaced by Emerald) and Ryanair with their questionable contracts, I'd wager there would be some takers.
Personally, I love Ireland, just got back from my fourth trip there in three years, in fact, I'm working on buying a house somewhere in Mayo or Galway, but even I find your argument not over and above solid. At any rate, shouldn't it go both ways due to all these "ties"? Can I apply to AerLingus without going through EU work permit process etc? Mind you, I'm easily eligible for the Irish Stamp Zero, but still...
Amadis of Gaul is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2022, 12:57
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have similar experience in Europe. TRI/TRE with 14000 hours. So as I understand it is required a “special” or “ above average” experience in order to apply NIW program. If you are successful than the airline require you to fly from the right seat (which for you do not need the previous mentioned experience), because you do not have Part 121 experience.
I guess than to apply for a PIC position you should do it according company procedure/pilot union procedure, so end of the waiting list.
Or am I wrong?
multiman is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2022, 14:50
  #117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,069
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by multiman View Post
If you are successful than the airline require you to fly from the right seat...because you do not have Part 121 experience.
I guess than to apply for a PIC position you should do it according company procedure/pilot union procedure, so end of the waiting list.
multiman,

Those are two separate issues.

The airline isn't the entity requiring you to spend 1,000 hours in the RHS in a Part 121 operation. The federal government requires this by regulation. There's nothing an airline can do about that.

As for going to the "end of the waiting list", if you go to an airline with a formal, enforced seniority list then you will start at the bottom and wait for circumstances (over which you largely have no control) to provide you the opportunity to bid for a captain position just like 10s of thousands of us have done for many decades. Sorry, but that's how it's done here. I guess it doesn't suit everyone.

Even if you could find yourself a start up airline hiring DECs for which you'd certainly be qualified, you'd still face the 1,000 hour issue. Sorry...
bafanguy is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2022, 15:54
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by multiman View Post
I have similar experience in Europe. TRI/TRE with 14000 hours. So as I understand it is required a “special” or “ above average” experience in order to apply NIW program. If you are successful than the airline require you to fly from the right seat (which for you do not need the previous mentioned experience), because you do not have Part 121 experience.
I guess than to apply for a PIC position you should do it according company procedure/pilot union procedure, so end of the waiting list.
Or am I wrong?
Yes. I am a US Citizen. Started my career in the regionals here. Have well over the 1000 hours 121 experience. Currently have almost 15,000 total time with about 11,000 hours as Turbine PIC. I am currently an F/O because I lost my expat job due to Covid. It sucks, but it is what it is.
jrmyl is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2022, 16:28
  #119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Do not take it offensive. I agree with you and I think this is the good way how you are doing. Pilots stick together in Union, who spend more time with company have some privilege.
Just can not understand the logic. I heard about short of experienced pilots in USA. To have a 10+ thousand hours experienced pilot from outside to sit in the right seat is simply waste of money if he is suitable for left seat. For sure you have enough pilots with low experience who want to be FO.
multiman is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2022, 17:11
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,069
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by multiman View Post
Hi Guys,

Do not take it offensive. I agree with you and I think this is the good way how you are doing.
Just can not understand the logic. I heard about short of experienced pilots in USA. To have a 10+ thousand hours experienced pilot from outside to sit in the right seat is simply waste of money if he is suitable for left seat.
multiman,

No offense taken. The system here just isn't what many are accustomed to around the world.

You're likely familiar with the impetus for this 1,000 issue so I won't try to explain it. Applying logic to government actions is a futile effort. The 1,000 hour rule has been much debated with a case to be made from both sides but the Imperial Federal Government will always win.

And of course, the first hurdle for a prospective expat is the legal ability to live/work here. I don't pretend to understand that one.
bafanguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.