PPRuNe Forums

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st Jul 2016, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Age: 43
Posts: 4
TSA or not TSA


I wish to follow an FAA ATP flight training and I'm not a US citizen but I already have an FAA PPL.
Questions :
1- Do I need to do a TSA check ?
2- Do I need a visa ? or is an ESTA enough ?
Dudule54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2016, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,603
You don't need a background check for FAA glider or balloon training. The TSA trigger for a background check is training for (1)the first FAA certificate (2)a multiengine rating (3)an instrument rating (4)a type rating. The ATP is a glorified IR so if your private is VFR only you'll need the check or if your private is SE and you want a ME ATP you'll need the check. Also, if your private is a 61.75 cert based on a foreign license you've never had training for a FAA cert so this would be your initial certificate and require a background check.

Last edited by weasil; 5th Jul 2016 at 04:52. Reason: removed reference to deleted posts
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:31.

1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1