PPRuNe Forums

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th Oct 2012, 18:40   #181 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,608

All of the above is correct. There are two additional steps you will need to complete before you start training. First, the FAA will have to verify your licenses with your CAA. The FAA says it can take 45-90 days to complete this verification but I've heard it normally can be done in a month. Secondly our friends at the TSA will have to do a background check on you. Since you are getting an A320 type rating you will be training at a FAR Part 142 school. All the 142 schools I know see this all the time and will be able to walk you through the steps required.
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 21:42   #182 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: maun
Age: 35
Posts: 15
Hi markerinbound

Thanks very much for the very speedy reply!

If you can I have one or two other things I need to confirm. When I do the ATP theory, must I have already got my licence valided by the FAA, or is there anything else I must present in order to sit the test? (In JAA land I had to sit a course with a recognised school but as far as I can understand in FAA land I can do it all self study and just turn up to the exam)

Secondly if I am to do my ATP flight test on the same flight as my A320 type rating, this is a multi crew aircraft so does that mean I have to do some single crew work in the test?

Thanks again for your help

mauntown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2012, 22:54   #183 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,608
I believe the results of the license verification only have to be completed by the time of the checkride.

One thing that will come up is if you do the ATP ride in an A320 it will be limited to A320s only. You will not do steep turns and stalls during an A320 ride so the FAA thinks you haven't done a complete ATP ride. You would have to do another ATP ride in a non fly by wire plane to have the restriction removed.
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2012, 19:16   #184 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: maun
Age: 35
Posts: 15
Ok, thanks. My intention is to move to China and convert my ATP and rating in order to fly an A320, so having it restricted to this aircraft, as far as I am aware should not be a problem.
mauntown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 07:10   #185 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: asia
Posts: 13
Hello Sir
I am a FO of A330 in Taiwan with ATP multi engine land,like to put the PIC on my ATP,and have few questions like to confirm..

1.What is unrestricted PIC certificate?

2.What if I like to take A320 on my ATP,what movement should I take?

I appreciate..
Chiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 17:40   #186 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,608
I have not heard the term "PIC certificate" before and there is is not a separate certificate for PICs given by the FAA. The FAA does require an ATP to be PIC of a large aircraft in airline operations. Some ATP type ratings are issued with restrictions. The most common is to limit circling approaches to "VFR ONLY." Most US airlines do not perform circling approaches so they do not training for them. So the type ratings issued to most airline pilots in the US in the last ten or fifteen years have a restriction limiting circling approaches to "VFR ONLY." To remove the restriction they must have training on circling approaches and perform a circling approach on a checkride.

To add an A320 type rating to your ATP you would have to go to a training center operating under part 142 of the FAA regulations that does A320 training. Most 142 schools issue unrestricted types because they include circling approaches in their training.

Last edited by MarkerInbound; 4th Feb 2013 at 09:43.
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 00:07   #187 (permalink)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here, there and everywhere.
Posts: 53

Hi there,

Has anyone lately gone through the process of adding a SIC type done abroad into their FAA ATP license?

If yes, then I'd appreciate some insights on a few questions:

1. Is it enough that the last PC was done within the preceding 12 months?
2. Does the FAA require any min. number of hours in the actual acft? If yes, then what kind of recency are they requiring?
3. On the 8710 Form, is the section "Instructor's Recommendations" the only column to be filled by your airline's official?
4. What if your airline doesn't exist anymore? Would a signature (on the 8710) and original training records from the actual initial training provider be enough?
5. What if you are not able to get anyone to sign the 8710?



Last edited by upspeed; 29th Jan 2013 at 00:08.
upspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 19:40   #188 (permalink)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milan
Age: 39
Posts: 72
Hi Chiao,

In order to obtain a full FAA ATP + A330 endorsement without restriction you need to undertake the course on the left hand seat and perform circling app. very easy simulator. For all guys with ICAO Licenses i humbly recommend to get the FAA ATP without restrictions, even if you are usually flying as SIC in your countries. Most of the worldwide operators specially in Asia and Middle East request "clean" licenses.

I did a very short type based on the A320, was very easy. Contact Pan Am Academy. Highly recommended, fast and professionals.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by La Coneja; 2nd Feb 2013 at 19:42.
La Coneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2013, 10:04   #189 (permalink)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 34
Best Place to do Faa ATP written and check ride

Hey guys

Myself and a friend are looking at going to the USA later this year to do our FAA ATP written and check ride. We would appreciate any advice on which places would be the best value for money and also which places are trustworthy. We would prefer the west coast but we are not limited to that.

Thanks in Advance
Vpilot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 11:14   #190 (permalink)
Join Date: May 2003
Location: KGRB, but on the road about 1/2 the time.
Age: 55
Posts: 562
A note that many foreign pilots may not be aware of:

On 3 Aug 2013, all -121 (Delta, Alaska, American Eagle, SkyWest, Miami Air, Pace, etc. etc.) airline pilots will need an ATP to fly the plane.

Specifically, ALL pilots, both the Captain and the First Officer will need full U.S. ATP licenses to fly any -121 airplane. This law had about a 5 year time delay, so there is no grandfathering. If you are a -121 First Officer, without an ATP, you will not be flying after 2 Aug 2013, for your airline, anymore.

Also, the U.S. does not have a PIC ATP and an SIC ATP, like most of the rest of the world does. The U.S. also does not have a "Frozen ATPL". You will need the full ATP, that currently requires a minimum of 1500 hours total time, plus a bunch of other requirements, before you can set foot in the right seat of any -121 U.S. airline.

Currently the -121 First Officer can fly with just a Commercial License and an Instrument Rating. Only the Captain currently requires the ATP.
atpcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 12:17   #191 (permalink)
Posts: n/a
Faa atp ( single engine )

Hey everyone ,
Sorry if this subject has already been covered extensively . I am an Australian cpl holder looking at getting a single engine faa atp ( cause its cheaper than multi) and then convert it to a casa atpl .
There are plenty of posts here regarding muti engine atp and atpflightschool seems to be recommended by everyone. But they do not do single engine atp and searching through google I was only able to find two schools who did single engine atp course . Any recommendation or suggestions would be helpful .

  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 04:12   #192 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,204
Pretty much any school can do it. As could any stand alone instructor. Or even none if you can find an aircraft to rent. You don't *require* an instructor recommendation to sit the test if you hold an ICAO CPL or ATPL but are unlikely to pass without some training & familiarity with the USA way of doing things.

Make sure your hours meet the FAR min. experience requirements. Be careful about what may counts as x-country time for the ATP.

Buy or download a copy of the FAR/AIM & get familiar with the contents. There are some significant differences. US uses TERPS, not PANS-OPS for procedure design so some things are different eg circling areas, time the inbound of a holding pattern then adjust outbound timing to make the inbound time correct.

Buy or download a copy of the ATP Practical Test Standard. Also Jepp, ASA et. al. have guides to passing the oral portion of the checkride.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 09:07   #193 (permalink)
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the reply mate ,
Yea my plan is to do a few lessons 7-10 hrs before I do the checkride. I do meet all the requirements as mentioned by FAA .
Looks like a lot of study is required in the next couple of months for this .
I looked up atpflightschool they offer 10 hrs in twin duel plus test for around 4500$ . They don't do single engine .
I think deciding between single engine atp or twin would be the next step .

Once again thanks for the reply do appreciate it .

  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 14:37   #194 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,204
Something I just thought of: Although any school or instructor can train someone for an ATP, you mightl have to do it with a school that can take care of the foreign student visa carry-on.

You will have to go through the TSA insecurity bullshit.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 15:06   #195 (permalink)
Posts: n/a
Tinstaafl. Sent you a private msg
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 18:46   #196 (permalink)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 35
Posts: 1,308
The advantage to doing an ATP (for your buddy) is that you only have to take 1 written exam and 1 flight test (although a rather long flight test).

CPL+IR would require two written exams and two flight tests.
zondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 02:48   #197 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,204
Mr Clumsy asked me this: "...Not sure if you flown in Australia or held a casa lic but would you know of there will be any issues with converting a single engine atp to full Australian atpl .
Also I hold a dash 8 endorsement can I do a check flight on a dash 8 sim and count as a atp flight check ?
I know there are hundreds of schools around any particular you would recommend ?"

I generally don't respond via PM or others can miss out on information - and sharing information is one of the most useful aspects of PPRuNe. So...here's what I think:

My background: I have an Oz ATPL which I used to convert to an FAA ATP-MEL. A couple of years later I got a UK ATPL and after that added FAA ATP-SEL/SES to my FAA ATP-MEL.

Avoid the large schools - they tend to be more expensive. Find a smaller school that is approved for foreign training and is willing to work with you. Don't go anywhere that requires you to pay all up front.

There shouldn't be an issue converting an FAA ATP-SEL to an Oz ATPL. Or didn't used to be. Under the new regs coming in I think it will be 'like for like' so if Oz goes for a SEL / MEL distinction then that's likely to affect what Oz ATPL you'll be able to get.

You can do an FAA ATP checkride in an appropriate level simulator at the same time that you do an FAA type rating. Not sure if any sim. schools would let you use their sim for a quick in & out ATP checkride. Anyway, you can do the FAA ATP check in pretty much any aeroplane. I did my original FAA one in a BE76 Duchess, and my combined SEL/SES in a C180 amphibian.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 14th May 2013 at 14:02.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 12:27   #198 (permalink)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 23
FAA ATP Validity

Hi all,
I have an FAA ATP issued in 2002, i have'nt flown on it since 2004. When does the actual ATP expire ? I have also lost the actual certificate during a move and need to get a new one is this easily done ?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

hairspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 13:36   #199 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Mercer Island, WA
Posts: 97
You will need to contact the Airman Certification Branch of the FAA. They will ask you for some personal details in order to ascertain that your certificate and knowledge test report are still valid and have been issued by the Administrator and that they have not been suspended or revoked.

Within 60 days or so (I think) you will receive a copy of your lost certificate by the FAA.

I don't think they expire.
Claybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 15:29   #200 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,608
Your ATP never expires however the paper certificate you were issued in 2002 is no longer valid. In 2005 the FAA started issuing plastic cards and sometime in 2010 you were no longer authorized to fly using the paper certificate. You can go online Airmen Certification - Airmen On-Line Services
and for 2 dollars the FAA will issue you a plastic certificate.
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 21:40.

1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1