PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Military Aviation (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation-57/)
-   -   Platinum Jubilee Fly Past (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/647033-platinum-jubilee-fly-past.html)

Nil_Drift 2nd Jun 2022 12:59

Platinum Jubilee Fly Past
 
Well Done to all the aircrew, supervisors and authorisers of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Fly Past. Well executed, spot on timing and safely flown.

The two outstanding things for me: the roar of the Merlin engines from the BBMF and an excellent 70 formation from the Typhoons.

Brought back memories of when I was privileged to carry the standard for 30 Sqn at the 75th anniversary of the RAF and the Red Arrows flew a 75 formation.

The RAF might be the junior Service, but what we do, we do very well!

MPN11 2nd Jun 2022 13:07

Fully agree on the Flypast. The 70 was VERY well done.

And the Parade was noticeably better than recent years. Excellent dressing, drill and timing all round.

God Bless our gracious Queen.

charliegolf 2nd Jun 2022 13:28

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Her absence from Horseguards was sad, obvs; but more than compensated for by the march down (up?) the Mall for the troops to say, "Hi Boss".

CG

Dave Roome 2nd Jun 2022 13:34

Great work by all three services involved in the flypast, but why oh why can't the BBC comment accurately? Huw Edwards made an absolute horlicks of the entire flypast, ignoring the Texans, describing the C-17/A400 as 'Poseidon', and even getting the number of Spitfires and Lightnings wrong! Give the job to a proper professional!

bobward 2nd Jun 2022 13:40

GIve HE a break Mr Roome. He's only being paid a paltry £120k for reading an autocue........

Timelord 2nd Jun 2022 14:08

HE always has a retired Guards Officer alongside him for the parade to keep him straight. Why not have someone who knows a C17 from a P8 with him for the fly past?

Very well done to everyone though, a great morning to watch on TV, sorry I couldn’t be in London.

Parson 2nd Jun 2022 14:08


Originally Posted by bobward (Post 11239584)
GIve HE a break Mr Roome. He's only being paid a paltry £120k for reading an autocue........

His autocue wasn't very accurate.....

Underfoot 2nd Jun 2022 14:10


Originally Posted by Nil_Drift (Post 11239548)
Well Done to all the aircrew, supervisors and authorisers of the Queen's Platinum Jubilee Fly Past. Well executed, spot on timing and safely flown.

The two outstanding things for me: the roar of the Merlin engines from the BBMF and an excellent 70 formation from the Typhoons.

Brought back memories of when I was privileged to carry the standard for 30 Sqn at the 75th anniversary of the RAF and the Red Arrows flew a 75 formation.

The RAF might be the junior Service, but what we do, we do very well!

Let's not forget the ground crew... An incredible effort getting all of those aircraft, plus spares, ready for the flypast.

punkieys17 2nd Jun 2022 14:16

Well I dont get it. Like many we studied the zoomable maps to see a fly past........2 aircraft went past over the route at Chertsey in Surrey. A flock of helicopters then went sounth of the route by some 2 to 3 miles, disappointing the crowd that had gathered on the playing fields directly below the flight path. Given the lack of accuracy one can ony believe Ukraine would be in danger if we sent our flyboys.....

OldBonaMate 2nd Jun 2022 14:25

Sorry Bobward, try £425k + for HE.
I fully agree thatt his presentation was dreadful!

Timelord 2nd Jun 2022 14:38


Originally Posted by punkieys17 (Post 11239609)
Well I dont get it. Like many we studied the zoomable maps to see a fly past........2 aircraft went past over the route at Chertsey in Surrey. A flock of helicopters then went sounth of the route by some 2 to 3 miles, disappointing the crowd that had gathered on the playing fields directly below the flight path. Given the lack of accuracy one can ony believe Ukraine would be in danger if we sent our flyboys.....

Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority, actually, not even part of their task. No need to insult the crews.

Cat Techie 2nd Jun 2022 14:58


Originally Posted by Timelord (Post 11239618)
Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority. No need to insult the crews.


Indeed, routes may have been needed to be changed for timings etc. Only important thing was aircraft in the right place at the right time over central London. Well done to all the guys (and girls) flying and all the groundcrews/ops and others at the various Stations to generate the formations. 70 was good, did look a little bumpy out there, great skills.

2Planks 2nd Jun 2022 15:06

Great job by all involved.

I don't think Huw Edwards was helped by the chopping and changing the Director was doing, at times the flicking between the differing sources was airsick inducing. If he'd stuck to a single camera together with a shot of the balcony it would have been better all round. That said, an RAF expert to assist/narrate would have covered all the bases.

Cat Techie 2nd Jun 2022 15:08


Originally Posted by 2Planks (Post 11239637)
Great job by all involved.

I don't think Huw Edwards was helped by the chopping and changing the Director was doing, at times the flicking between the differing sources was airsick inducing. If he'd stuck to a single camera together with a shot of the balcony it would have been better all round. That said, an RAF expert to assist/narrate would have covered all the bases.

Concur. The direction of filming of the flypast as usual by the BBC director was rubbish.

Null Orifice 2nd Jun 2022 15:09

And his overuse of the word smart during the parade. Irritating automaton!

Timelord 2nd Jun 2022 15:14


Originally Posted by Cat Techie (Post 11239638)
Concur. The direction of filming of the flypast as usual by the BBC director was rubbish.

Usually some of the best pictures come from the airborne camera. This time only the Hawks were captured. I wonder if that was director’s choice or some technical / human failure on the helicopter?

NutLoose 2nd Jun 2022 15:30

One can only hope on to her 80th anniversary.

goldox 2nd Jun 2022 15:32


Originally Posted by MPN11 (Post 11239554)
Fully agree on the Flypast. The 70 was VERY well done.

According to Sky, the 70 symbol was made by the Red Arrows.
:ugh:

ACW599 2nd Jun 2022 15:38

And on the BBC News website, the silhouette of the Texan shows a very pretty Harvard...

Quite why the media do such a lousy job with anything aviation-related beats me, and Huw Edwards's outrageous salary is totally beyond justification.

STENDEC North 2nd Jun 2022 15:44


Originally Posted by Timelord (Post 11239618)
Re routing due to weather, or to make up / loose time or for any one of a number of reasons to make the Buckingham Palace datum on track on time, which they did perfectly. Sadly your playing field was not their priority, actually, not even part of their task. No need to insult the crews.

Totally agree, RAF did themselves proud today, well done everyone. Crews did a wonderful job of timing all of the various components, BZ.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:16.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.