PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Military Aviation (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation-57/)
-   -   RAF Valley & Missile Practice Camps (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/637967-raf-valley-missile-practice-camps.html)

Snakecharmer 18th Jan 2021 17:51


Originally Posted by EXFIN (Post 10970582)
Could you pm me with an email address please, Taff

That's done!

clingon3 19th Jan 2021 13:39

Slight thread drift but.....
Minnie Burner referred to a Sea Vixen landing at Valley with a ‘minor control problem’, which was actually an outer section of the right wing missing. The observer in that Sea Vixen was the RAF Exchange Navigator who went on to become the Boss of 25 Sqn when it first equipped with the F3 at Leeming. Apparently they were landing on mother ship in the Irish Sea when our man felt and heard a huge thump. On looking up through his ‘letter box’ window, he was surprised not to see the sky but the ‘island’ whistling by. Landing wingtip first is not an approved technique and the jet came off worse than the ship. I don’t remember the cause of the event, be it technical or environmental but they diverted to Valley and debriefed in the time honoured fashion.

BigDotStu 19th Jan 2021 22:41


Originally Posted by clingon3 (Post 10971248)
Landing wingtip first is not an approved technique and the jet came off worse than the ship. I don’t remember the cause of the event, be it technical or environmental but they diverted to Valley and debriefed in the time honoured fashion.

Could it be the incident described towards the end of this page:

https://www.seavixen.org/aircrew-tes...-rod-shelbourn

John Eacott 20th Jan 2021 00:06


Originally Posted by Minnie Burner (Post 10967639)
Around the same time a Sea Vixen from 899 broke into the circuit with "a minor control problem". It had a sizeable amount of its starboard wing missing. The details of the incident, and the pilot most regrettably, are now part of FAA history.

I was in Eagle's planeguard for that event, on 25th January 1971 during work-up for ORI early February. Vixen 123 hit three other aircraft on deck, the advice I was given that after some low level ops the Vixen windshield had a fair amount of salt and the landing was late afternoon into a setting sun, albeit with cloud cover, resulting in a less than perfect approach and bolter. Lots of advice from Flyco resulting in a diversion, bits of Vixen wing plus bits of Buccaneer/Vixens lying around on the deck. I was left seat in the Ship's Flight Wessex 1 with Lt Marsh driving, Alf Tupper in the back.

Other than side number 123 I don't know any details of the Vixen or crew.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....47ff0abc70.jpg

John Eacott 20th Jan 2021 00:25


Originally Posted by clingon3 (Post 10971248)
Slight thread drift but.....
Minnie Burner referred to a Sea Vixen landing at Valley with a ‘minor control problem’, which was actually an outer section of the right wing missing. The observer in that Sea Vixen was the RAF Exchange Navigator who went on to become the Boss of 25 Sqn when it first equipped with the F3 at Leeming. Apparently they were landing on mother ship in the Irish Sea when our man felt and heard a huge thump. On looking up through his ‘letter box’ window, he was surprised not to see the sky but the ‘island’ whistling by. Landing wingtip first is not an approved technique and the jet came off worse than the ship. I don’t remember the cause of the event, be it technical or environmental but they diverted to Valley and debriefed in the time honoured fashion.

See my previous post: the Vixen didn't hit the deck with the starboard wingtip but was well off-centreline and cleaned up a few (three, ISTR) parked aircraft. The coal hole window would normally give a view of the island and adjacent parked aircraft during a landing: but don't let a few beers get in the way of a good dit :p


https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....61de4372be.jpg

EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 07:08

Managed to find the post by QWIN in June 2008 referencing the incident to 25 Jan 1971, the last day of HMS Eagle's work up in UK waters before sailing for the Med. It would seem the major factor was the build up of salt on the windscreen which drastically curtailed the view ahead on final approach. It would appear after 2 attempts to land the 3rd approach which was off centreline was taken over by the Flyco from the LSO, the rest as they say is history. A diversion was made to Valley and the gear raised to save fuel, however, on raising the gear the aircraft due to the damage rolled uncontrollably so the gear was lowered for the transit to Valley.
The aircraft must have been repaired, replacement outer wing? as it flew again and became part of the Drone programme, succumbing eventually to the scrapman. I wonder if there are any photos lurking around?
Again, many thanks for all the contributions, spread the word, keep them coming, Taff

ksimboy 20th Jan 2021 07:26

Diverted to Valley on Albert due to bad weather from Bardufoss - Lyneham 14 Mar 86. Holyhead customs insisted all bags offloaded and passengers checked despite only being on ground for 2 hours. Female SWO bollocked me for having dirty boots, then said she had never seen a Hercules close up. Walked her through the freight bay to flight deck and off again , then said " Ma'am your shoes could use a good polish!" Walked off in a massive strop.

Captain Radar.... 20th Jan 2021 09:55

Diverted to Valley due weather at St Mawgan Jan 8 1999, departed Jan 9th.
Nimrod XV 234 236 OCU.

ACW599 20th Jan 2021 11:01

Hardly in the same league as the fast-jet visitors but UWAS had a detachment of Chipmunks from St Athan over the weekend 24/5 Feb 73. Airframes were WK553, WZ846, WP857 and WZ862. Happy days.

Later in life I took a Grumman AA5 (G-BFTE) from Manchester to Valley en route to Dublin on 25 May 79.

PICKS135 20th Jan 2021 14:51

15 June 1981 - Successful Sparrow firing by Phantom from Boscombe Down based at STCAAME

They also had one of 43 Sqn's a/c on loan for the firing. Was a surprise on the Monday morning to get to STCAAME, and find one of the Sqn a/c alongside the 'Raspberry Ripple' F-4..

Seem to remember one of the Boscombe crew were a USAF exchange driver and Civilian backseater. RAF pilot was ex Leuchars [ FL/LT H/G ], cant remember who the back seat RAF person was.



EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 16:43

All very welcome regardless of horsepower/thrust! Taff

EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 16:45


Originally Posted by PICKS135 (Post 10972090)
15 June 1981 - Successful Sparrow firing by Phantom from Boscombe Down based at STCAAME

They also had one of 43 Sqn's a/c on loan for the firing. Was a surprise on the Monday morning to get to STCAAME, and find one of the Sqn a/c alongside the 'Raspberry Ripple' F-4..

Seem to remember one of the Boscombe crew were a USAF exchange driver and Civilian backseater. RAF pilot was ex Leuchars [ FL/LT H/G ], cant remember who the back seat RAF person was.

Yes, XT597, we have it noted, many thanks, Taff

EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 16:46

Thank you very much for all the inputs, keeps me busy in lockdown!!! Taff

Box Brownie 20th Jan 2021 17:13

Dad was stationed there in 57/60. As a lad I remember the Swifts and the Javelins. What sparked my interest in this thread was mention of the Sea Vixen. When we were there we would spend many a summer evening on the beach. I recall on one occasion seeing a Sea Vixen, to the right of the hangar and point seawards, raised at an angle. I have often wondered what the story was with this aircraft. Attached is a photo of Phantom XV573 taken in '75
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....bc9bd293d0.jpg

EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 17:23

Very nice, was that taken during or just after the Airshow 9.8.75? Would it be possible to use the image? and more importantly do you have anymore by chance. I'll look into the Sea Vixen as it possibly sounds like a stationary firing, there are photos on the web showing a Lightning ventral tank with a firestreak being fired into the Bay, they were looking at the effects on the tailplane etc. Nowadays the thought of just firing a captive missile out to sea from there would be a big no no but in those days things were different. There are documents in the National Archives showing a proposal to turn Newborough Beach in the SE of the Island by Llanddwyn into an air-ground firing range in 1955! Many thanks for your reply, Taff

Box Brownie 20th Jan 2021 17:43

By all means use the photo in any way you so wish EXFIN. The photo was taken that summer, though not at an air show. I will try and root out some other photos for you.

EXFIN 20th Jan 2021 17:44


Originally Posted by Box Brownie (Post 10972185)
By all means use the photo in any way you so wish EXFIN. The photo was taken that summer, though not at an air show. I will try and root out some other photos for you.

Many thanks, feel free to contact me on [email protected] Taff

Box Brownie 21st Jan 2021 08:26

On one of our summer holidays at Rhosneigr I was surprised to see that there was a families day taking place. At least that is what I told my wife! The attached photo was taken from the dunes near the MPC hangar
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....a4285f84e0.jpg

Classic 21st Jan 2021 11:50

Dug out of the logbook:
5 Oct 87 LightningF6 XR773 Binbrook to Valley Transit
9 Oct 87 XS898 Valley to Binbrook Transit
12 Oct 87 XS898 Binbrook to Valley Red Top Firing
12 Oct 87 XS898 RTB Valley to Binbrook

20 Jan 88 XR728 Binbrook to Valley Transit
20 Jan 88 XR728 Firestreak Firing Land Valley
On this flight there was a photoshoot with a Hawk taking pics of me with the Jindi as it was the 5000th Jindivik flight I believe. Anyone seen these pics?
20 Jan 88 XR728 RTB Valley to Binbrook

18 Apr 88 Lightning T5 XS458 Missile Firing (Not sure whether RT or FS) Land Valley
18 Apr 88 XS458 RTB Valley to Binbrook
This was two first-tour junior pilots in the T-Bird, no IWI/QWI in sight for a live firing. :)

Dominator2 21st Jan 2021 16:57

Quite a few visits to EGOV over 37 years but not as many missiles as sarn1e!!

18 Oct 1973 JP 5 XW307 BFT Navex Land away
Advanced Flying Training 3 Sqn Hunter 8 July 74 – 11 Oct 74
Refresher Flying 3 Sqn Hunter Oct 74 – 18 Mar 75
23 Sqn MPC Phantom 18-29 Apr 77 6 Sorties
28 Apr 77 XV435 1 x AIM7E
7 June 78 XT 908 Over Night
8 June 78 XT 908 RTB Wattisham
20 June 78 XT908 Land away
20 June 78 xv421 RTB Wattisham
19 Sqn MPC Phantom 3 – 18 Feb 81 12 Sorties
10 Feb 81 XV411 1 AIM9G
16 Feb 81 XV439 1 AIM 7E
F4QWI MPC Phantom 6-9 Dec 83 3 Sorties
7 Dec 83 XT893 1 SKYFLASH
16 Dec 83 XT 900 Diversion CGY – Valley
17 Dec 83 XT900 RTB
29 Sqn MPC Tornado F3 22 Sep 87 – 1 Oct 87 4 Sorties
F3 OEU Trial 2-13 July 1990 -Panoramic Saxa 12 Sorties 2x SKYFLASH
OP GRANBY TRIAL 29 Aug 1990 ZE862 1 X SKYFLASH
F3OEU 18 -21 Nov 1991 5 Sorties
Nov 21 1991 ZE862 1 X SKYFLASH
5 SQN Tornado F3 28 Nov 1994 ZG793 Land away and RTB
F3OEU MPC Tornado F3 17 – 20 March 1997 6 Sorties
18 March 1997 ZE889 1 X SKYFLASH
20 March 1997 ZE982 1 X AIM9L
55 Sqn Dominie
10 Aug 2006 XS739 Photocall and RTB Cranwell11 Aug 2006 XS728 Land away and RTB
24 Jan 2007 XS709 Land away and RTB
12 March 2007 XS730 Land away and RTB
29 March 2007 XS731 Land away and RTB
12 Feb 2008 XS711 Land away and RTB
9 April 2008 XS737 Land away and RTB
3 March 2009 XS728 Land away and RTB
25 March 2010 XS737 Land away and RTB
22 July 2010 XS727 Land away and RTB

EXFIN 21st Jan 2021 17:16

Classic
Many thanks, I remember 5/11 at Valley in '87 as i was going through Flying Training on 1 Sqn/4 FTS. I'm not aware of the Jindi photos, possibly Ian Black? Many thanks for your contribution. Best wishes, Taff

EXFIN 21st Jan 2021 17:19

Dominator2

Very impressive, a magnet to Valley! Just been going through the MPC Photos from yesteryear which has plugged a few gaps. And a Dominie tour, good for the CPL/ATPL !!! Many thanks for your time and help. Best wishes, Taff

nipva 22nd Jan 2021 09:59

Several visits over the years but only one missile:
22Mar71 QRA Red Top firing Lightning F6 XR765.
Missile broke up structurally immediately post launch due to failure of the ALTAS unit. The firing was at relatively low level but the missile thought it was at high level so applied high gearing control inputs.
Aircraft suffered superficial damage from flying through the dispersed debris field. Quite exciting though.

ATSA1 22nd Jan 2021 10:13

I was on BCU at Valley 85-87, I took a few pics of the STCAAME visitors...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....f45c00b7b3.jpg
..even the Buccs carried Sidewinders!

Box Brownie 22nd Jan 2021 10:54

Gnat XR538 - photo taken at Kemble
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....3ee3bd7eed.jpg

EXFIN 22nd Jan 2021 16:21


Originally Posted by nipva (Post 10973495)
Several visits over the years but only one missile:
22Mar71 QRA Red Top firing Lightning F6 XR765.
Missile broke up structurally immediately post launch due to failure of the ALTAS unit. The firing was at relatively low level but the missile thought it was at high level so applied high gearing control inputs.
Aircraft suffered superficial damage from flying through the dispersed debris field. Quite exciting though.

Would it be possible to send a list of your visits pleas, serial/unit/type/date. Best wishes, Taff

SLXOwft 22nd Jan 2021 16:59

Taff, some photos from outside the wire.

Not great quality but here are 3 USAF visitors
68-0077 F-111E UH painted as 680 77th AMU stbd and 680 77TFS port with the name June Nite departing on 24JUN1986 - unusual to see an Aardvark land.
68-0099 F-111D CC 522TFS/27TFW - I think this was when it came over with the Coronet Comanche 1986 deployment from Canyon AFB to Boscombe Down 27 August - 24 September
61-0285 EC-135H 10ACCS


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....5c4c6903f9.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....853fe1695f.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....c3c375e0b0.jpg


Immediately after the UH F111 on the reel were distant shots of 208 Sqn Bucc XX900/MS and 226 OCU Jag XX119/01 so same day/week

Unfortunately I have no dates but other visitors the same day/week as the F-111D and EC-135 I have photos of are:
XV300 Hercules C,1P, XW438/2 JP T.5A RAFC, 69-0369 AR RF-4C 1TRS/10TRW (posted on Phantom Friday thread) and F-4Ms XV430/A, XV472/E, XV485/M & XV488/P 19 Sqn which were at STCAAME.




EXFIN 22nd Jan 2021 17:35

Have the 'CC' F-111D on 29.8.86, the 1st is a new one for us which is great, the EC-135 is also new, it's sister ship '286 came in Sep & Oct.86. Many thanks for your time and there's nothing wrong with those photos, we're spoilt in the digital age! Please feel free to forward the other photos you have to [email protected] Best wishes, Taff

SLXOwft 22nd Jan 2021 19:08

Looking at a more distant shot of the port side of "June Night" she appears to be carrying a AIM-9L (or subsequent variant) - be interesting to know if it was there to perform a trial/practice firing?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....95a865ec28.jpg

Taff - I have sent a PM

Krystal n chips 23rd Jan 2021 05:27

The first F1-11 to plonk itself into Valley in 1971. one Friday afternoon, when, strangely, it went "tech "..these things happen as we know. At this point, the full weight of top level security was deployed as armed guards. This elite force came from within Eng Wing, as ever, and notably comprised of relatively new arrivals....

In a rare moment of practicality, the famous all purpose pick axe handle was replaced with an SLR and....live ammunition, plus the infamous yellow card. There was a slight problem here....the magazine in the SLR was empty....the one with the live ammunition in was sealed in plastic wrap that would have taken about an hour to get into. We were given a very grave briefing as to intruders , etc which we thought was, perhaps, a little surprising as it was located on the well known pan that was adjacent to the sand dunes, where the "fence " at that time was sort of hanging onto a few posts and tourists happily had picnics watching the flying.

An exciting night of defending our allies aircraft then followed, based in an ice box, and with nothing useful, like refreshments for example, being provided hence we had to make " alternative arrangements " involving the chip shop in Bodedern and liquid refreshment c/o Boddingtons.

Next day, whilst seemingly quick enough to assemble this fearless force, nobody had thought about changing over after "some considerable time ". ....which turned out to be around lunch time , Sat.

Enter the cousins tech Sgt sent to rectify the "defect ".......having offered his views as to the crew, the USAF, the state of the UK roads and just about anything else that came to mind, he fixed the defect in a remarkably short time shall we say. Then came the interesting moment. We noticed the name going into the log was not the one displayed on his uniform and, being curious, asked why. He kindly informed us the "asshole had done it to me, so I'm doing it to him "....we just sort of nodded here and quietly wandered off.


nipva 23rd Jan 2021 10:29

EXFIN,
PM sent this morning

clingon3 23rd Jan 2021 13:21

Dusted the logbooks off so here we go...
23 Aug 77 JP3A XN634 Linton- Valley. My BFT land away.

07 Jul 83 JP5A XN405 Linton-Valley RTB
11 Jul 84 JP5A XW313 Ditto
08 May 85 JP5A XW432 Ditto
16 May 86 JP5A XW429 Shawbury-Valley-Linton
22 May 85 JP5A XW299 Brize-Valley-Linton
25 Sep 86 JP5A XW320 Linton-Valley-Linton
Happy days as a JP QFI


02 Oct 89 F3 ZE205 Coningsby-Valley
30 Jul 90 F3 ZE731 Leeming-Valley MPC 25 Sqn
30 Jul 90 F3 ZE791 MPC
31 Jul 90 ZE290 MPC
02 Aug 90 ZE290 MPC


14 Jan 91 F3 ZE791 Leeming-Valley RTB
15 Jan 91 ZE787 Ditto
16 Jan 91 ZE787 Leeming-Valley
17 Jan 91 ZE794 MPC-RTB
This group were in support of Op Granby

19 Apr 93 F3 ZE168 Leeming-Valley MPC 23 Sqn
20 Apr 93 ZE966 MPC
21 Apr 93 ZE966 MPC
21 Apr 93 ZE966 MPC
22 Apr 93 ZE168 MPC
23 Apr 93 ZE 168 MPC
23 Apr 93 ZE168 MPC
These sorties were flown before we deployed on Op Deny Flight, so some rather unusual profiles. 2 weeks later we were behaving like mud movers and getting to do some strafe at Wainfleet!

10 Jan 94 F3 ZE888 Leeming-Valley
21 Oct 94 F3 ZE159 Leeming-Valley

And finally one for the thread starter-(ok, so it’s not Valley related but...)

26 Feb 08 B757-200 G-FCLJ MAN-ALC-MAN
Part of my ‘Bus-Boing conversion-Cheers Taff!


EXFIN 23rd Jan 2021 13:37

clingon3

Mr P, many thanks, much appreciated. Hope all's well, I went to QR in 2012, and as much as I enjoyed my time with TCX I thought the writing was on the wall, I was amazed it went on as long as it did. I was lucky in that the Missus was quite happy to go there & the kids were grown up. That's no consolation to those affected by it's sad demise though. Hope all's well and again, many thanks for your generous time. Best wishes, Taff

EXFIN 23rd Jan 2021 13:44

Just a quick one to say thank you to all who have contributed, a wide spectrum which is encouraging. To those who haven't, GET those LOGBOOKS out be they personal or a relative, inputs such as 'MPC' & 'VYL' should jog the old grey matter! Better to have a history of your flying movements accessible for future generations rather than in an old dusty book hidden away somewhere! Lockdown permitting we are hoping to go online sometime this Year, hopefully mid-year. Best wishes, Taff

EXFIN 23rd Jan 2021 13:49


Originally Posted by Krystal n chips (Post 10974120)
The first F1-11 to plonk itself into Valley in 1971. one Friday afternoon, when, strangely, it went "tech "..these things happen as we know. At this point, the full weight of top level security was deployed as armed guards. This elite force came from within Eng Wing, as ever, and notably comprised of relatively new arrivals....

In a rare moment of practicality, the famous all purpose pick axe handle was replaced with an SLR and....live ammunition, plus the infamous yellow card. There was a slight problem here....the magazine in the SLR was empty....the one with the live ammunition in was sealed in plastic wrap that would have taken about an hour to get into. We were given a very grave briefing as to intruders , etc which we thought was, perhaps, a little surprising as it was located on the well known pan that was adjacent to the sand dunes, where the "fence " at that time was sort of hanging onto a few posts and tourists happily had picnics watching the flying.

An exciting night of defending our allies aircraft then followed, based in an ice box, and with nothing useful, like refreshments for example, being provided hence we had to make " alternative arrangements " involving the chip shop in Bodedern and liquid refreshment c/o Boddingtons.

Next day, whilst seemingly quick enough to assemble this fearless force, nobody had thought about changing over after "some considerable time ". ....which turned out to be around lunch time , Sat.

Enter the cousins tech Sgt sent to rectify the "defect ".......having offered his views as to the crew, the USAF, the state of the UK roads and just about anything else that came to mind, he fixed the defect in a remarkably short time shall we say. Then came the interesting moment. We noticed the name going into the log was not the one displayed on his uniform and, being curious, asked why. He kindly informed us the "asshole had done it to me, so I'm doing it to him "....we just sort of nodded here and quietly wandered off.

Yes, the old F-111's were two a penny in the 70/80's mainly PD's but you could guarantee an emergency arrival at least every 10 days! You mention guarding the first one, I remember as an Assistant in ATC at Valley during TACEVAL, guard duty & around the Airfield a few of us would speak Welsh on the STORNO radio, suffice to say it didn't go down to well with the DI Staff! Happy days, Taff

Box Brownie 23rd Jan 2021 18:07

Meteor U16 WA991
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....ec8204af9c.jpg
photographed in the static park at an air display in the mid 70s

A20DEK 23rd Jan 2021 19:42

Hello Taff

Hope you find the attached interesting.
All taken by me from Boscombe Hawk XX154 flown up to Valley for my sortie on 21 August 1998. My pilot was the Boscombe Chief Test Pilot Mr Sepp Pauli (spl) who in a former life had been a German Air Force F-104 driver.
Sepp was a very understanding and accommodating person who understood a photographers needs and requirments. So much so that after the Tornado pilot had run through the range a number of times before firing the Sidewinder, we eventually had to divert into Llanbedr for fuel before returning to Valley.
We arrived at the Tornado drivers debrief at STACAAME (or was it AGWU at the time) on time, and to hear him shouting many expletives over the radio as the Sidewinder came of the rail. (All of which are unprintable here!!!!)

Cheers

Taff. Just received the message stating I am not allowed to mail URLs until I have posted at least 10 messages. Is there a way of posting the photos here I am not aware of?





Box Brownie 25th Jan 2021 11:29

Andover on approach - if I recall, early 70s
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....c1caf68d50.jpg

sycamore 25th Jan 2021 14:13

From a miss-spent youth to mid-life crises...
20/2/1964.J-P 4,XP628, Syerston-VLY ,solo navex,2 FTS,2SDN ,D Flt.
20/2/1964,J-4 XP628 VLY-Syerston.RTB.
27/7/1964-3/9/1964, CFS(H) 2 SDN,SAR DET.;45 SORTIES,Convex/mountains boats,etc Whirlwind 10
XP405,XP302/343/342/356.
17/9/69 ,Whirlwind 9,XM666, W Freugh-Vly-Boscombe-Down. Refuel after SS11 Missile trials.
18/10/1972 Hunter T7 XL612, Bedford-Vly,RAE ,Aero Flight.
18/10/1972 Hunter T7XL612 Vly- Bedford.
29/2/1980,, Sea-King 3 XZ589,Culdrose-Vly;RAFSKTU.
14/10/1980 WW 10 XP361 .Vly-Finningley, HQSAR Wing
13/3/1981,Wessex2 XT601 Finn.-Vly
13/3/1981.WX2 XR518 VLY-Finn
6/5/81, S-K 3 XZ588 Fnn-Vly-Finn.
22/5/81 WX2 XR518 Finn-Vly-Brawdy
14/7/81JP 5a `T`,Finn-Vly
14/7/81WX2,XV724 Vly-Finn.
12/01/1982.WX2 XV729 Benson -Vly
13/01/1982 .WX2,XV729 Vly-Finn
16/08/82 WX2.XR524 Finn-Vl
16/2/1982 WX2.XT601 Vly- Leconfield
9/11/82 WX2,XT674 Finn-Vly
9/11/82 WX2. XR518 Vly-Finn.
7/12/82. WX2,XT602 Finn-Vly
7/12/82 WX2XT604 Vly-Finn
6/11/84 HS125-7, ZD621 Shawbury-Vly-Sha`bry 32 Sqdn.
14/11/84,HS125-7 ZD621 Honington -Vly-Honington
21/01/86,HS125-4 XW788 Northolt -Vly
21/01/86,HS125-4 XW788 Vly-Finn.
18/02/86, HS125-7, ZD704,NHLT-Vly-NHLT
23/97/86 HS125-7 ZE395 Wyton-Vly -Wyton
10/1094 C-130k XV181 Lyneham-Vly 24 SQDN
10/10/94 C-130K XV181 Vly -Vidsel(Sweden) ESPE
14/10/94 C-130k XV186 Akrotiri-Vly
14/10/94 C-130k XV186 Vly-Ly`ham..

The 6 weeks I spent at Valley in 1964 was living in the Sgts Mess `Annex`,somewhere between the northern thresholds.A most abysmal place,no heating,no bath,ablutions outside for the usual sh,sh,sh,cold water,;breakfast was only meal that coincided with `the working` day,and `fly-prog.,and flying kit not allowed in the Mess...The CMC must have spent time as a POW with the SS....Apart from that,the weather was great,and the flying was total fun ,but hard work,2-3 sorties a day...

EXFIN 26th Jan 2021 15:35

Box Brownie, many thanks will try and track it down! Taff


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.