Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Fate of RAF Scampton

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Fate of RAF Scampton

Old 3rd Apr 2023, 07:51
  #141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 2,394
Received 691 Likes on 202 Posts
Concentration camps?!

Originally Posted by Fishtailed
Looks like Gary Lineker was right, UK gov is introducing concentration camps in the UK can't believe it
Are you fricking kidding me?! With the amount of media scrutiny and attention the proposed camps will get they’re more likely to be better than a 5 Star glamping resort. If they ever happen.

BV
Bob Viking is online now  
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 07:55
  #142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 2,832
Received 1,520 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Are you fricking kidding me?! With the amount of media scrutiny and attention the proposed camps will get they’re more likely to be better than a 5 Star glamping resort. If they ever happen.

BV
Depends which media! The Fail or Torygraph will go into full bitch mode if the standard of accommodation is anything other than bare boards.
Ninthace is online now  
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 08:21
  #143 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baston
Posts: 3,335
Received 806 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
Depends which media! The Fail or Torygraph will go into full bitch mode if the standard of accommodation is anything other than bare boards.

as will I and others. An upgrade from Calais.
langleybaston is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by langleybaston:
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 17:09
  #144 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,859
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloppy Link
Aldergrove. I’ll just leave that there….
I doubt there'll be anything selected, no matter how relatively suitable, outside England. Despite, the professed diversity and accommodation for all except English Tories in Scotland and Wales, the masks will slip off straight away at any suggestion of accommodating channel migrants at say Arbroath? The problem will instantly become an English one. If I'm wrong, then Humza, I'd have thought, would have made a public play to take advantage of the opportunity by now?!?!?!? I imagine, we're all as bad as each other when put to the test.

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 18:09
  #145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baston
Posts: 3,335
Received 806 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
I doubt there'll be anything selected, no matter how relatively suitable, outside England. Despite, the professed diversity and accommodation for all except English Tories in Scotland and Wales, the masks will slip off straight away at any suggestion of accommodating channel migrants at say Arbroath? The problem will instantly become an English one. If I'm wrong, then Humza, I'd have thought, would have made a public play to take advantage of the opportunity by now?!?!?!? I imagine, we're all as bad as each other when put to the test.

FB
Not quite. I see four categories, with subsets in each:

Those who are receptive to migrants in their neighbourhood,.
NIMBYs who are basically receptive to migrants, both legal and illegal .
MIMBYs who are basically receptive to legal migrants with a good case and who behave.
NIMBYs who believe the bus is full, not even standing room, and would station the Brigade of Ghurkas along the beach.

NB definition of legal and illegal is a separate subject
langleybaston is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2023, 21:13
  #146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Yorkshire....God's Country
Age: 59
Posts: 472
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishtailed
Looks like Gary Lineker was right, UK gov is introducing concentration camps in the UK can't believe it
Oh do stop! As for Lineker.........he should stick to talking about men running around after a ball!
mopardave is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 06:47
  #147 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,859
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts
Scottish Refugee Council condemns 'racist' Government language | HeraldScotland

Here we go, has this Scottish Refugee Council suggested to the Home Office that they can find room for taking refugees in? Is Scotland in the process of taking in refugees from the Channel Boats? I will stand corrected if they are meeting their rhetoric.

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 06:55
  #148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wildest Surrey
Age: 75
Posts: 10,915
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
Scottish Refugee Council condemns 'racist' Government language | HeraldScotland

Here we go, has this Scottish Refugee Council suggested to the Home Office that they can find room for taking refugees in? Is Scotland in the process of taking in refugees from the Channel Boats? I will stand corrected if they are meeting their rhetoric.

FB
Send 'em all there; they have ferries moored on the rivers already where some are kept.
chevvron is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 08:44
  #149 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,859
Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
Send 'em all there; they have ferries moored on the rivers already where some are kept.
As I said I'd stand corrected if they were already taking in numbers of asylum seekers as well, but I can't see what the Scottish Refugee Council are complaining about, regarding the UK Government, if barges etc are already being used to house the numbers in Scotland?

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 10:34
  #150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 1,141
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
The hypocricy of Patel.
Adamanat that Linton was good but she's now fighting to stop the same in her own backyard.

Former home secretary Priti Patel is helping her local council in Essex with attempts to stop the Home Office using a former RAF station to house migrants.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mnKC9wGvbDpiAY


SATCOS WHIPPING BOY is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 10:43
  #151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: München
Posts: 91
Received 64 Likes on 23 Posts
Is it just me? Surely this thread should be in Jet Blast?
Rockie_Rapier is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 10:48
  #152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 1,141
Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
If it isn't to your taste, you don't have to jump in and read it.
It is VERY relevent to Military personnel at the bases being marked as fit for asylum centres.


SATCOS WHIPPING BOY is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 11:33
  #153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 2,832
Received 1,520 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
If it isn't to your taste, you don't have to jump in and read it.
It is VERY relevent to Military personnel at the bases being marked as fit for asylum centres.
How many Service personnel are affected at Weathersfield and Scampton? As distinct from former Service personnel who have settled in the immediate area.
Ninthace is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 13:50
  #154 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wildest Surrey
Age: 75
Posts: 10,915
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
How many Service personnel are affected at Weathersfield and Scampton? As distinct from former Service personnel who have settled in the immediate area.
WETHERSFIELD - no 'A'
If by 'affected' if you include MOD Police; their training base and all their personnel (families included) have been told to vacate.
chevvron is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 14:09
  #155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 2,832
Received 1,520 Likes on 919 Posts
I wonder if the MoD Plod and their families will be offered better digs? I presume some of the families could be well dug in there so it could be quite an upheaval for them. I never had a quarter for much more than 2 years and short notice moves were part of the Ts and Cs. It could be worse for civvies like the Police.

Who is affected at Scampton?
Ninthace is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 14:25
  #156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 79
Posts: 7,866
Received 156 Likes on 72 Posts
The barge was recently refurbished after an inspection by a regulator, which described it as an 'aggressive and oppressive environment' after being used by the Dutch government to house asylum seekers a few years ago.
Menories of the Coastel at Stanley. How dare they have put Service personnel into such an environment? I found it perfectly acceptable, but then I was ashore and out of it for 12+ hours a day, at work.
MPN11 is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 14:29
  #157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: lincs
Posts: 90
Received 88 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
I wonder if the MoD Plod and their families will be offered better digs? I presume some of the families could be well dug in there so it could be quite an upheaval for them. I never had a quarter for much more than 2 years and short notice moves were part of the Ts and Cs. It could be worse for civvies like the Police.

Who is affected at Scampton?
The families in quarters there, it's still used for overspill from Waddington.
cheekychimp is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 14:32
  #158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 2,832
Received 1,520 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by cheekychimp
The families in quarters there, it's still used for overspill from Waddington.
Does the plan move them out or leave them there?
Ninthace is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 14:45
  #159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: lincs
Posts: 90
Received 88 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
Does the plan move them out or leave them there?
At the moment they're staying.
cheekychimp is online now  
Old 4th Apr 2023, 15:00
  #160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baston
Posts: 3,335
Received 806 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
Menories of the Coastel at Stanley. How dare they have put Service personnel into such an environment? I found it perfectly acceptable, but then I was ashore and out of it for 12+ hours a day, at work.
Quite so. The commissioned Mobile Met Unit blokes frequently regale me with tales of two bunks and a wash basin in a rabbit hutch, but they soldiered on and most of the stories contain humour. "Everybody was in the same boat" Ho Ho.

A very drunken Flt Lt forecaster was thrust into his pit, asleep already, and vast amounts of Mess breakfast cereal poured over him.

[If there was a shortage of cereal, blame Met].
langleybaston is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.