Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

China recruits former British military pilots

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

China recruits former British military pilots

Old 18th Oct 2022, 15:41
  #101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,167
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Surely, if a Bill is yet to be passed, what has been done isn’t actually illegal.
The criminal law is, as said earlier, rather weak but does exist in theory. For most of us the loss of all pension rights would make you think twice, let alone the risk of litigation and legal bills.
Just This Once... is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 15:53
  #102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: London
Posts: 177
Received 117 Likes on 53 Posts
Just pilots? Just British? I think this rabbit hole will go very deep and there is plenty left to uncover. I would be amazed if it was confined only to the above...
Low average is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 15:56
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Age: 42
Posts: 662
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Low average
Just pilots? Just British? I think this rabbit hole will go very deep and there is plenty left to uncover. I would be amazed if it was confined only to the above...
It's not.
unmanned_droid is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 16:07
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 38
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
BV

You are absolutely right that losing all our experience after a tour or so is a massive issue. Flying a Typhoon or an F35 is cool but when the organisation you work for is constantly kicking sand in your face there isn't much reason to stay. Don't think it justifies going to work for the Chinese though.
SOX80 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 16:09
  #105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: glasgow
Posts: 309
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
I’m inclined to say “hats off” to the Chinese. Saves all that spying and espionage malarkey, cuts straight to the chase with a “help wanted” ad.
we might consider doing the same with Russian and Chinese pilots; the going rate is less than £240k too I gather.
As has been said already, this is morally no worse than what many senior officers do when they sell their soul on retirement to the major defence contractors, and certainly harms our defence rather less. It will be a long time before Chinese pilots will be threatening UK skies, and I can’t help but feeling we should be much more concerned about infiltration closer to home. Hinckley point, for example…..
falcon900 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 16:10
  #106 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,760
Received 322 Likes on 151 Posts
I will ask those who wish to discuss Saudi Arabia and Israel to take that to a different thread.
Thank you all in advance.
T28B
T28B is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 16:27
  #107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 350/3 Compton
Age: 76
Posts: 815
Received 467 Likes on 111 Posts
I had a very good friend who was employed in China to teach their nationals to fly. He spent a year or so there, had a very pleasant time and ended up married to a Russian princess. The marriage didn’t last, unfortunately, because she spoke no English and he no Russian. The briefs and debriefs were carried out through an interpreter and always finished with the phrase “I will try to do better.”

He was a highly decorated pilot who had been previously been flying state-of-the art fighters and on return, had no problem with his former Service nor, indeed the government.

Slight thread drift though; this was 1920, his previous type was the SE5A, on which he had won a Military Cross. He subsequently stopped flying, won an Oscar for the screen play of Pygmalion and formed a well-known broadcasting company that has had its centenary today. He also went on to write one of the best flying memoirs ever - Sagittarius Rising. He read some of my poetry in the late 80’s, which resulted in me being invited to his 90th birthday bash, where we formed an instant bond.

One hell of a man!

Mog
Mogwi is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 16:35
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 2,349
Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts
Here's the question for these guys. "Might what I do here make these people better combatants than my countrymen?" If the answer is yes, then shame on them. If the answer is no, then finding something to have a stroke over is a little harder.

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 17:31
  #109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Uk
Posts: 179
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
They could always point out to them that they will never ever hold a UK airside permit again as they are now deemed a security risk.
I’m not sure working in China counts as a security risk and makes you ineligible for an airside pass. If it does someone should tell all the expats flying commercial over there.
Flyhighfirst is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 17:44
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,787
Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts
Has anybody spotted a fact recently?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 18:09
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Gloucestershire
Posts: 437
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Very few "facts" at all in this debate.

Please PM me if you wish facts
Tarnished is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 18:13
  #112 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 14,643
Received 519 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyhighfirst
I’m not sure working in China counts as a security risk and makes you ineligible for an airside pass. If it does someone should tell all the expats flying commercial over there.
I agree. There is no such legislation. If there was, it would do nothing to further diplomatic relations.

China is now one of the top industrial nations and a large proportion of our consumer goods come from there. Most seem to have no qualms about buying Chinese made goods!
ShyTorque is online now  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 18:23
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Frensham
Posts: 853
Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
MOD Twitter statement.

Thread:



Wokkafans is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 18:29
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 2,349
Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts
Twitter replies, blimey! Plenty on 'stroke-watch' over there!

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 19:27
  #115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 499
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathmonk
‘Why now’ for this press release? Concern at political fallout if China attack Taiwan (imagine the headline “Ex-RAF pilots train Chinese Pilots Prior to attack on Taiwan)?! Deflection from other woes in the RAF? Lead turning a more damaging story?

A good day to burry bad news?

WB627 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 19:49
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 499
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogwi
I had a very good friend who was employed in China to teach their nationals to fly. He spent a year or so there, had a very pleasant time and ended up married to a Russian princess. The marriage didn’t last, unfortunately, because she spoke no English and he no Russian. The briefs and debriefs were carried out through an interpreter and always finished with the phrase “I will try to do better.”

He was a highly decorated pilot who had been previously been flying state-of-the art fighters and on return, had no problem with his former Service nor, indeed the government.

Slight thread drift though; this was 1920, his previous type was the SE5A, on which he had won a Military Cross. He subsequently stopped flying, won an Oscar for the screen play of Pygmalion and formed a well-known broadcasting company that has had its centenary today. He also went on to write one of the best flying memoirs ever - Sagittarius Rising. He read some of my poetry in the late 80’s, which resulted in me being invited to his 90th birthday bash, where we formed an instant bond.

One hell of a man!

Mog
This is one of the most interesting biographies I have read in along time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Arthur_Lewis


I should probably do a Wikipedia entry for my cousin Harold William Medlicott
WB627 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 20:40
  #117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: York
Posts: 517
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, ex pilots going that way to train is bad, but the PLAAF folk who were on my IOT were completely fine? Good to know.
muppetofthenorth is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 21:02
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,167
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Doing stuff with MoD permission is ok; doing it without is not. This stuff is written down and part of QRs and Officers' Terms of Service.

Unless you are suggesting that PLAAF cadets on your IOT were there without MoD's / PLAAF permission?
Just This Once... is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 21:43
  #119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Temporarily missing from the Joe Louis Arena
Posts: 2,133
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by muppetofthenorth
So, ex pilots going that way to train is bad, but the PLAAF folk who were on my IOT were completely fine? Good to know.
Getting taught which knife and fork to use at mess dinners is a little different to being trained to be better pilots, don't you think?
The Helpful Stacker is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2022, 22:46
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Alps
Posts: 3,204
Received 125 Likes on 62 Posts
Remember few years Back when two of our British Army guys went on exchange to the Chinese military academy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-27152535

Think one of the two gents was AAC judging by his light blue beret.

I imagine plenty of former AAC (both officers and NCO) pilots were flying for Bristow out in China during the /80s/90s..

Cheers
chopper2004 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.