Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Not-so-woke Reds

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Not-so-woke Reds

Old 14th Jan 2023, 10:40
  #421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Europe
Posts: 24
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Cos will be a great boss. He hasn't been in the display team itself, he fulfilled the role of RAFAT manager/commentator, but has zero naughty habits or skeletons. He's also a good leader, has lots of broad experience and is a really top chap. Just the person to head the team at this challenging time. Good luck!
KrisKringle is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by KrisKringle:
Old 14th Jan 2023, 18:33
  #422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Age: 42
Posts: 662
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisKringle
Cos will be a great boss. He hasn't been in the display team itself, he fulfilled the role of RAFAT manager/commentator, but has zero naughty habits or skeletons. He's also a good leader, has lots of broad experience and is a really top chap. Just the person to head the team at this challenging time. Good luck!
I don't really know what to think of the RAF anymore so we'll see I guess.
unmanned_droid is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 14:20
  #423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 657
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So an 8 ship this year......?!
Parson is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 14:30
  #424 (permalink)  
MG
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 593
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Parson
So an 8 ship this year......?!
care to elaborate?
I have these discussions at home, when my other half up starts up a conversation where the first half of it has been part of her inner-monologue and has clearly been going on for quite a while without me.
MG is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 14:49
  #425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 657
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MG
care to elaborate?
I have these discussions at home, when my other half up starts up a conversation where the first half of it has been part of her inner-monologue and has clearly been going on for quite a while without me.
Can't seem to paste link but is on Red Arrows website
Parson is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 15:11
  #426 (permalink)  

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Bourton-on-the-Water
Posts: 1,019
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
OC RAFAT, Wg Cdr Adam Collins, explains it all
https://twitter.com/rafredarrows

8-ship - same as La Patrouille de France...

airsound

airsound is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 15:19
  #427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 657
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by airsound
OC RAFAT, Wg Cdr Adam Collins, explains it all
https://twitter.com/rafredarrows

8-ship - same as La Patrouille de France...

airsound
Ta, sounds plausible I guess. Where's Mike Ling when you need him......
Parson is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 16:34
  #428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,858
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts
I wouldn't want to argue with the experts, but thinking back 60 years or so, the big Hunter and Lightning teams would, in the case of the former, operate up to 18 aircraft. This with a heavier, bigger and more robust performing machine. They would also split the full formation into smaller set teams with varying numbers, mostly to spread as far as possible on the annual "At Home" day when stations in double figures would be open. The Firebirds (Lightnings) flew a 10-ship display over Biggin Hill then split into 5-ship teams to cover two other events. This would surely increase the workload, different sequences with varying numbers requiring additional practice. Not to mention at least one pilot, in addition to the overall team leader, would also need to be team leader for a smaller formation. All aerobatic as well.

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 20:53
  #429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: York
Posts: 631
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
I wouldn't want to argue with the experts, but thinking back 60 years or so, the big Hunter and Lightning teams would, in the case of the former, operate up to 18 aircraft. This with a heavier, bigger and more robust performing machine. They would also split the full formation into smaller set teams with varying numbers, mostly to spread as far as possible on the annual "At Home" day when stations in double figures would be open. The Firebirds (Lightnings) flew a 10-ship display over Biggin Hill then split into 5-ship teams to cover two other events. This would surely increase the workload, different sequences with varying numbers requiring additional practice. Not to mention at least one pilot, in addition to the overall team leader, would also need to be team leader for a smaller formation. All aerobatic as well.

FB
and 60 years ago the RAF were losing an average of 3 / 4 aircraft per week! (Up till 20 March it was 23)
dctyke is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 21:17
  #430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,858
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
and 60 years ago the RAF were losing an average of 3 / 4 aircraft per week! (Up till 20 March it was 23)
What... 23 a week!? No, surly not.

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 21:48
  #431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Up Narf
Posts: 462
Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
I wouldn't want to argue with the experts, but thinking back 60 years or so, the big Hunter and Lightning teams would, in the case of the former, operate up to 18 aircraft. This with a heavier, bigger and more robust performing machine. They would also split the full formation into smaller set teams with varying numbers, mostly to spread as far as possible on the annual "At Home" day when stations in double figures would be open. The Firebirds (Lightnings) flew a 10-ship display over Biggin Hill then split into 5-ship teams to cover two other events. This would surely increase the workload, different sequences with varying numbers requiring additional practice. Not to mention at least one pilot, in addition to the overall team leader, would also need to be team leader for a smaller formation. All aerobatic as well.

FB
Air Force was way bigger and life was cheap. Airframes were cheap. And the Country wasn't so skint. Some on here work in the 21st Century. I am mates with the guy whom is Red 4 now. He ain't woke. But he is as he is one of the most human beings on the job one could meet. He is not an I in the word Team.
Diff Tail Shim is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 22:54
  #432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,858
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Diff Tail Shim
Air Force was way bigger and life was cheap. Airframes were cheap. And the Country wasn't so skint. Some on here work in the 21st Century. I am mates with the guy whom is Red 4 now. He ain't woke. But he is as he is one of the most human beings on the job one could meet. He is not an I in the word Team.
I merely make an observation sir, you say life was cheap, I don't think so. We are talking about the 1960s not the 1560s.

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 23:07
  #433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Up Narf
Posts: 462
Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
I merely make an observation sir, you say life was cheap, I don't think so. We are talking about the 1960s not the 1560s.

FB
But it was Sir. Accident investigations were basic and subjective then. It took the late 20th century and major accidents to change the approach. Enough technical experts to wade in more. I know the odd Red actually. As mentioned. Red 4 is a mate. I was with another Red last weekend whom did 3 year. I am so glad no juke boxes about now to play a certain Queen track. Fortunately in 27 years we haven't had the run of an accident a day.
Diff Tail Shim is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2023, 02:13
  #434 (permalink)  
Gne
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: With the Wizard
Posts: 200
Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts
By coincidence a mate (ex RN) sent me this this morning - not a bad summary and some great footage. Check of a 22 ship barrel roll.


You might need to copy the URL and paste to your browser to view.

Gne
Gne is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2023, 06:36
  #435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see an older pilot joining the team, it says Red 2 joined the RAF in 1991. Would he be Spec Aircrew?
Yellowjack99 is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2023, 10:15
  #436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: York
Posts: 631
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
What... 23 a week!? No, surly not.

FB
No, from 1st January to 20th March 1963. (We lost a total of 120 that year)
dctyke is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2023, 15:34
  #437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 63
Posts: 1,858
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
No, from 1st January to 20th March 1963. (We lost a total of 120 that year)
But how did it all break down, what were the circumstances at the time given less reliable navigation aids etc. Was servicing involved. The attitude certainly wasn't dismissive, there has been a constant learning curve shall we say, I know that with regards to display flying, there was an accident during training for the Firebirds aerobatics team that year which resulted in an ejection, one write off and the pilot being wheel chair bound as a result. However, this wasn't a result of cutting corners or recklessness from what I can understand, it was as they say, shear bad luck. Later that year 15 RAF stations were open to the public with the RAF providing the bulk of fare at each. As far as I'm aware, despite some aerobatics teams/solos appearing at three or more each, the day passed off without incident. It's not a disregard for life that was the problem so much as the greater risk involved at the time, and yes, many more aircraft scattered across the world flying in different conditions with a comparative limited reliability on known procedures etc. Again, more a learning curve.

FB

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2023, 21:13
  #438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 27
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Aircraft of that era were monstrously difficult to handle compared even to those brought into service just a handful of years later.
EGDLaddict is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2023, 10:05
  #439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Just behind the back of beyond....
Posts: 4,207
Received 63 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 8674planes
I was a little shocked to see Montenegro is still flying and in the job. I thought he was suspended...
Who says he's still flying and in the job?

Poor chap seems to be suffering plenty of slings and arrows - latest edition of his book seems to no longer have his name on the cover, even.
Jackonicko is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2023, 11:31
  #440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,167
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
Who says he's still flying and in the job?
Jacko, check the date and context of your quote. It isn't relevant today.
Just This Once... is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.