Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Tornado jets!

Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:08
  #1 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 14,007
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Tornado jets!

Government armed forces minister answering urgent question in the HoC on Ukraine just stated at the dispatch box that British Tornadoes yesterday conducted operations from their base at RAF Akrotiri….

I hate to break the news to him…..
ORAC is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:15
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PLanet Earth
Posts: 1,176
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Government armed forces minister answering urgent question in the HoC on Ukraine just stated at the dispatch box that British Tornadoes yesterday conducted operations from their base at RAF Akrotiri….
I hate to break the news to him…..
I surely do hope this is not representative of his expertise in defence matters...
henra is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:17
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado jets!

I have just listened to the U.K. Armed Forces Minister giving an update on British military manoeuvres with regard to the Ukraine invasion. Mr James Heappey then rather astonishingly announced that ‘Tornado jets’ were patrolling out of Cyprus. I find it incredible that a British minister should make such an error bearing in mind that Tornados were scrapped some years ago! I presume that he meant Typhoons. However it does not give me any confidence that our government has any credibility when it comes to military matters being apparently more concerned with lgbt rights etc. Even more surprising that Mr Heappey as a former British army officer should make such a schoolboy error. In fact most schoolboys of my generation would know the detail of every military aircraft in the U.K. inventory.
olster is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:18
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wildest Surrey
Age: 74
Posts: 9,849
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
James Heappey

Armed Forces Minster has just stated in the commons that 'Tornado jets are being used'.
Er am I missing something?
chevvron is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:31
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 379
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olster View Post
I have just listened to the U.K. Armed Forces Minister giving an update on British military manoeuvres with regard to the Ukraine invasion. Mr James Heappey then rather astonishingly announced that ‘Tornado jets’ were patrolling out of Cyprus. I find it incredible that a British minister should make such an error bearing in mind that Tornados were scrapped some years ago! I presume that he meant Typhoons. However it does not give me any confidence that our government has any credibility when it comes to military matters being apparently more concerned with lgbt rights etc. Even more surprising that Mr Heappey as a former British army officer should make such a schoolboy error. In fact most schoolboys of my generation would know the detail of every military aircraft in the U.K. inventory.
What a foolish post. The man is certainly extremely busy during a crisis and you try to create an issue from an inconsequential mistake.
Video Mixdown is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:38
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron View Post
Armed Forces Minster has just stated in the commons that 'Tornado jets are being used'.
Er am I missing something?
Er there's a war on - careless talk costs lives and all that - which in my book means confirming or debunking anything like this is no help to Ukraine
slip and turn is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:43
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not an inconsequential mistake if the armed forces minister cannot even get the correct names of current British fast jets and quotes a redundant type. It demonstrates a mindset towards the military of the United Kingdom.
olster is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:47
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Outer ring of HEL
Posts: 1,345
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
At least he wasn't referring to EE Lightnings.
Beamr is online now  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:50
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hector's house
Posts: 129
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard Malcolm Rifkind on the BBC referring to Sea King Harriers during the Falklands Invasion.
hec7or is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:53
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 379
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olster View Post
It is not an inconsequential mistake if the armed forces minister cannot even get the correct names of current British fast jets and quotes a redundant type. It demonstrates a mindset towards the military of the United Kingdom.
It demonstrates nothing of the sort. It was a minor mistake - nothing more. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who do nothing.
Video Mixdown is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 11:58
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not a minor mistake at all. It should be expected that ministers demonstrate ministerial competence and get the facts right.
olster is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 12:05
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my head
Posts: 689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamr View Post
At least he wasn't referring to EE Lightnings.
Yes I think everyone knows those and the Hunters were usually kept back for more specialised operations elsewhere..


slip and turn is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 12:21
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lemonia. Best Greek in the world
Posts: 1,746
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My little model of a Lightning never flew very well.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 13:10
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is absolutely not pointless. A government minister should be on top of his brief; the devil is in the detail. Our front line fast jet squadrons comprise typhoons and F35s. If you are armed forces minister and you either don’t know that or you allow your spad / civil servant write your speech, uncorrected for crucial detail you are not on top of your job. Sure, it may have been an error written in the heat of the moment. However the RAF / RN crews who are front line, highly trained personnel can only feel undermined by this lack of technical understanding. Maybe it’s just me.
olster is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 13:18
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 379
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olster View Post
This is absolutely not pointless. A government minister should be on top of his brief; the devil is in the detail. Our front line fast jet squadrons comprise typhoons and F35s. If you are armed forces minister and you either don’t know that or you allow your spad / civil servant write your speech, uncorrected for crucial detail you are not on top of your job. Sure, it may have been an error written in the heat of the moment. However the RAF / RN crews who are front line, highly trained personnel can only feel undermined by this lack of technical understanding. Maybe it’s just me.
Pompous rubbish. The people who matter (not you - obviously) know what was meant.
Video Mixdown is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 13:25
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are very quick with the insults Mixdown. I am a U.K. taxpayer and voter so I am entitled to an opinion which is all that it is. The people that matter here are the citizens of the U.K. and should expect accuracy from elected officials. But rather than let this turn into the usual PPRuNe ego fest I will let others contribute. You probably wouldn’t get the irony of calling others pompous on line.
olster is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 13:58
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Next to Ross and Demelza
Age: 51
Posts: 1,181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like another minister recently, who confused the Black Sea with the Baltic Sea.
Martin the Martian is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 14:04
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 450
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olster View Post
It is not an inconsequential mistake if the armed forces minister cannot even get the correct names of current British fast jets and quotes a redundant type. It demonstrates a mindset towards the military of the United Kingdom.
It is completely inconsequential. The man misspoke, end of story.
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 14:06
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London/Oxford/New York
Posts: 2,707
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NAROBS View Post
Obviously a symptom of COVID . . . . mis-spoke, mis-pronounce, mis -identify and, wait-for-it, miss the target . . and its catching.

Main object of HMG in these circumstances is to keep the collective assemblage of Brexitting-chest wallopers, Glastonberry rubber band wearers, Harry potter and Ariane Grande afficionados, shamrock air hells-bells tourist types, footballing delusionals nice and warm in their comfort bubble with lots of syrupy words that confirm their limited life experience.

Oh boy, are they in for a shock when Mr P and "Friends" pitch-up at Calais !

I think you need help...
pr00ne is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2022, 14:23
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 884
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin the Martian View Post
Like another minister recently, who confused the Black Sea with the Baltic Sea.
Or an ex POTUS that confused Russian and American amphibious forces, also on the Black Sea?
Ninthace is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.